Raid question:

Laz.e.rus

I have a DFI NF4 sli-dr Mobo

Pic here: http://www.megapc.com.au/pics_product/939-...4-SLI-DR-UT.jpg

Where I currently have my primary HDs (raid 0) plugged in is the first sata port directly in front of the top (or right in this pic) PCIe slot. The Third single drive is plugged in next to that.

Currently there is no issue as my 7900gt stops just short of there while coming just to the end of the NB heatsink (it stops at the lower white plastic rivet).

My question is, if I get a bigger card (thinking 260 at the moment), and it reaches my sata ports:

Can I simply unplug them from a particular port and move them to the other ones? Down near the bottom of the board? Or is that how they are identified...by their port?

Edit: After some research I discovered the the lower ones (left in that pic) are Silicon Image Sata 150. The top 4 (rt in the pic) are 3gb/sec. That makes using the lower 4 crappy, but can I switch to the lowest 2 of the top 4? Or will that kill my raid setup?

With a RAID 0 setup, I am not so sure about that. If it were a RAID 1 (mirroring), you would be ok as both drives would be exactly the same in content. In the case of RAID 0, it is set up in the BIOS/RAID configuration utility as being RAID 0 with those two drives in those particular ports. Moving them may not work and could corrupt the array (but may not and everything would be ok). Your call on whether to give it a go.

i don't recall moving a raid 0 but i've definitely moved a raid 0+1 with no rebuild necessary. any ports on the same controller should be fine. if you switch to the si controller you'd be out of luck but as long as you stay on the nv controller you'll be fine. contrary to what zd says i don't believe that the raid controller cares what specific ports you're plugged in to.

You might have to re-assign the raid array for the new SATA ports but as long as you don't re-initialize the drives, it should be fine.

again, i'm fairly certain you don't have to do that.