Laptop Keeps Freezing Up

Lunk

I've got an HP Pavilion Laptop zv5160us Model. It's roughly 5 years old. Haven't added nothing new lately. Will be on the internet or just doing something and it freezes up. Mouse wont' move can alt+tab nothing. Just wondering could this be an overheating issue? Harddrive failing issue? or what? Need some advice on this one.

Does it shut down or prompt like normal if you hit the power button?

No I have to hold down the power button to get it to shut down. Then hit the power button again to turn it back on.

Also, just lost all my bookmarks in Mozilla Firefox.

ZD would you happen to have a good registry cleaner?

Does it shut down or prompt like normal if you hit the power button?

No I have to hold down the power button to get it to shut down. Then hit the power button again to turn it back on.

Also, just lost all my bookmarks in Mozilla Firefox.

ZD would you happen to have a good registry cleaner?

I use CCleaner for registry cleaning and for cleaning up my hard drive of the junk that Windows always leaves behind.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

you've done a deep virus scan recently with current virus definitions, right? if it's hardware failing, you should be able to recreate the freezes in safe mode. if it doesn't lock in safe mode, might be a good time to dig out your xp disc.

it's not a virus. it's likely his hard drive. if he's lost bookmarks in firefox then it sounds like it's corrupting files. a virus wouldn't do that. i'd try re-installing windows and if installs successfully then you might be in the clear. my guess is it won't.

it's not a virus. it's likely his hard drive. if he's lost bookmarks in firefox then it sounds like it's corrupting files. a virus wouldn't do that.

Spyware could do that. Just depends on what it is that he's got. I doubt though that it is any type of malware. The machine is 5 years old and like you said, it is probably his hard drive. Could also be dying mobo or whatever after 5 years of dust and dirt get in it. A good cleaning couldn't hurt.

• 1 month later...

Well I finally got around to changing out the harddrive yesterday. I thought everything was good. When I turned it on this morning it locked up again. I have found that if I shut it off, unplug the power, remove the battery and hold the power button for a few seconds, then put it all back together it works fine again. My question is could my battery be causing this? The battery is the original battery and this laptop is 4 to 5 years old.