RIP, Unclean's Computer

Unclean

Story time!

So yesterday I decide to fire up the PS2 to play some Shadow of the Collosus. I turn on the 27" tv from circa 1991, and it goes POP! and I see little flashes of white in the corners of the screen. It doesn't turn on again. The light is off on the PS2 as well. So I hit the reset button on the cheapo walmart surge protector... nothing. I hook up the tv and the ps2 to the wall, and both the tv and ps2 turn on. Must be the surgeprotector, right? Not exactly... now the ps2 doesn't read discs. Not cool.

So ok, time to shut off the computer and go to bed. I can worry about the ps2 tomorrow. I shut down normally, but the monitor hangs and I can still hear the computer fans. Sometimes my computer takes a second to shut off, so I don't really think much else and let it do its thing as I go to bed.

The only problem is the fans were still running the next morning. I cut the power, then try to turn it back on. Nothing. This doesn't make any sense... the tv/ps2 were hooked up to a surge protector, and the computer was hooked up to a beefy APC UPS on the same outlet. Could an electrical problem send a surge through the protector, through the outlet, back into another UPS, and into the computer? No other equipment appears to be malfunctioning.

I took the side panel off to hear what's going on when I boot. The CPU fan doesn't spin at all. The other fans do, and I can still hear the hard drive clicking. I put the OEM CPU cooler back on, and it doesn't spin either. Questions:

1. What do you think the problem is, in order of likelihood? CPU? Power supply? Motherboard? Videocard? Combination of them?

2. How does an old tv destroy a computer and a ps2 through 2 surge protectors?

3. I have renters insurance, but will only be living in an apartment for the next couple of weeks. Do I make a claim? Will it potentially raise premiums on homeowners insurance?

If you make any kind of claim your new policy will cost more. Sounds like bad mobo to me and electricity is powerful stuff, depending on what kind of surge devices and UPS you have it could be that, if your stuff is good then I just don't know.

Bummer though, sorry that happened.

Yeah, no beeps... the CPU fan tries to spin up, but then gives up. Then I turn off the computer right away because I worry it'll fry the CPU if it hasn't already.

Speaking of which... is there any way to tell if the CPU is fried? It's a Q6600, and I don't see any charred marks or anything on either side of the chip.

Based on your suggestion Bush, I'll start by swapping the motherboard first. Thanks!

/Edit - what happened to your equipment on a surge protector, Brew?

my truck got stolen in march and my renters insurances hasn't gone up yet.

Also, welcome to the "I had a surge protector but it didn't do squat" club. i think im the founding member!

Get a quote from another company and see how it goes for ya.

I wouldn't go that far, his system isn't all that old if I remember.

Really, first I would undo all your cables and reseat the memory. Then maybe swap out the video card with a old PCI card, any will do even a 1mb Cirrus Logic. Those are the easiest things to do first. I hate swapping out power supplies cause I usually tie and hide many of my cables.

Also, welcome to the "I had a surge protector but it didn't do squat" club. i think im the founding member!

Quick note, most if not all surge protectors are good for one use only (ie. one surge and then they're done). Most don't have any way of showing that they have dealt with a surge and need replacing (that little light will always be on). Also, many surge protectors have a limited lifespan, 2-3 years until they're no longer able to protect your equipment.

Update - last night I swapped out the power supply, no luck. My roommate just recently built a new computer almost identical to mine, so when he brings it back to the apartment tonight I'm gonna have a swapathon to figure out what's wrong.

And Bush is right Preacher - that might be a bit extreme for right now to buy an entire barebones system. Saving for a wedding, so I'm *hoping* it's just the motherboard and my Q6600/8800GTX/etc is still OK.

Mo - that's a scary thought. What are we supposed to do? Guess? That's like not having a fuel gauge on a car.

If the CPU fan tries to spin op and doesn't that would indicate the power supply has failed. I have seen this problem in the past. If you have a spare or can borrow a friends power supply try swapping yours out. And get a decent power strip that offers a warrant/replacement of damage components! :)

Also I forgot to mention if you can prove that it was a power surge, talk with the power company they may be willing to replace the damaged equipment.

Edited by Sgt. Slaughterâ„¢-TopBrass

It is like being at FF and smelling Windexs computer burn up...LOL But his ended up only being the video card...Talk to him.

I personnel would say the MB is popped from some kind of surge or something, I would try that out first, and then from there your on your own. :(

But my money would be on the MB... thats US money :)

I disagree with the Sgt. above.

That is not bad PSU...it is bad mobo...that is gonna be the first thing that is fragged after a surge or spike...the mobo has a VERY NARROW range of voltage input.

Same thing happened to my abit p4 mobo about 6 months ago. I'd get a brief spin up of fans, then click...nada.

Easy way to test PSU is to hook PSU up to any mobo and power up.

Tek - if your mobo failed, did it destroy your processor too?

And Preacher, thanks for the offer. I'll take you up on it when I finish swapping out parts. (My roommate didn't come back last night, hopefully he's there tonight).

I'm not sure if this is right or not, but I dont think the P35 chipsets support the new 2.0 PCI Express x16 slots? I don't know if you have a new video card or not. But I thought I heard that from somewhere?

I have an 8800GTX, which isn't 2.0. Plus the order shipped a few hours ago. :) Thanks anyway on that one.