Thinking about building a new gaming PC

Ice_Berge_00

So as the title said I am planning to build a new PC in the next 2 months 9basically want to have it up by the time the new WoW expansion comes out roughly.

I'm debating a few things such as SLI or not, how high to go on processor and DDR2 or DDR3. Any suggestions?

I've started doing a little research and so far it sounds like DDR3 isn't worth the expense currently unless you are planning some overclocking.

I'm not sure about whether SLI is worth it since I don't have any friends using it either. I may pick up other games in the near future too depending on what they are and my interested, so even if WoW wouldn't benefit I may still consider SLI assuming it is worth it.

I've already decided to go with Vista 64bit for the OS unless I find some major reason to not do so. Thinking either 4 or 8 GB's of ram since RAM is fairly cheap right now.

So any thoughts out there from those that have built PC's recently or following the technologies?

I struggles with the DDR3 question myself. I also came to the same conclusion. After reading the benchmarks on DDR2 800 vs the DDR3 I wend w/ DDR2 confidently since the price for 8gb of DDR2 was the same for 4GB of DDR3 ( at least in Feb)

SLI is really not that great of an idea in this day and age unless you play games professionally or have a home video processing studio as a business. One high end card is better than 2 lower end cards anyway. I would suggest either the 280 or the 4870 x2 if you have the cash to spend. If not I'm actually selling my 8800GT in the for sale thread since I wanted a card w/ HDMI out on it. Honestly you can play Crysis on an x1900xtx card pretty well and you can play it with everything set to high on the 8800gt. So far I haven't heard of a more intense game to rate video on. Software just moves at a much slower pace than hardware due to needing to maximize their sales base.

I've been running Vista Business 64 since last December and have no problems with it at all. Ultimate doesn't really offer much in the way of options so not really worth the expense IMO. I have home premium on my wife's lappy and it is also just fine, no complaints.

GLHF

Thanks preacher, good to know.

I have had vista home premium on my laptop since April last year and haven't had any issues. Ultimate is basically business + media center and a few other features. I haven't decided if I want the media center stuff, probably depends what kind of video card I get. At some point I do want to make a PC to connect up to my TV for recording shows and whatnot since I don't have a DVR.

I'd go with a GTX 280 but I refuse to give more then $300 for a video card. The 260's perform well for about 300 smackers.

I can't speak for the GTX 280s (haven't kept up with this generation of cards too closely), but I do know that the ATI 4870 will spank the 260 - possibly in price as well as performance. I believe the GTX 280 is the fastest available right now, but not sure?

SLI is not worth the money. Seriously. Buy a single high-end card, and you will be able to smoke anything you throw at it (for now). Unless you have a stupid amount of money to spend on it and want to go for overkill. Just don't play the "I'll get an SLI board and one card now so I can go SLI later if I want to" - by the time you think about adding that second card, there's a new single card out thats faster than two of your older one. SLI only makes sense if you do it from day 1.

I would look at getting DDR2 ram with higher frequency (1066MHz+) instead of DDR3. DDR3 is still too expensive right now in my opinion, and I'm not sure it provides a performance boost commensurate with that price difference. Throw 4GB of fast DDR2 in there and you're good to go.

Go Intel for the processor - something quad-core like a Q9300, Q9450, or whatever your budget allows.

If you need specific part recommendations, post up a budget and you'll probably get a few lists to choose from.

glhf

as most have said. avoid sli, ddr3 and vista ultimate.

the new 260 is actually better all around than a 4870. i would have an x2 4870 myself if money is no object. make sure you get at least a 700w psu of a quality brand.

also, as boiler said, any q9xxx series cpu will be good. the q9550 is probably the best priced right now, at least in canada.

for mobo get any p45 or x48 board that is in your price range just make sure it has ddr2.

8gb of ram may not be worth it yet but if you've got the money to burn then why not. a good ocz, gskill 2x2gb kit should be enough. i've got 2x2gb of gskill 1066.