Crysis: Warhead

Tek-Almighty

Well, I was excited when I read a review of Crysis:Warhead on IGN the other day.

Initially I was not going to buy until a patch or a couple months passed...but I usually trust IGN to be pretty spot on.

Well, I got it home and been playing for about 1/2 hour. I knew what to expect (e.g. more great graphics, sandbox game play, adaptability...), but the couple of reviews I've read say "improved graphics" and "improved performance."

Well, I have to say that the graphics are phenomenal (can't really tell much difference between it and Crysis, yet)...but

The performance...?

I have a 3.0 ghz core2duo (wolfdale core), 2 8800GT in SLI (overclocked) and 4 GB of DDR2...On all high settings (as opposed to med or very high) My performance is on par with Crysis...

HOWEVER.

There are some really really stuttery parts, AND I get a weird pause in the game play (0.5 sec or less) every 30 sec or so...

FTW? Like my system is over whelmed or something...like waiting to load or something.

If anyone gets this game, please post up.

Do you have threaded optimization enabled in your Nvidia control panel?

Hmmm...don't even know what that is...but it was on "auto"

I will place it "on" and see if improves.

I do find it odd that crysis (both games) tends to use one core more than the other...

NOT only that, but it uses a huge amount of memory (1.7GB).

Do you have threaded optimization enabled in your Nvidia control panel?

Hmmm...don't even know what that is...but it was on "auto"

I will place it "on" and see if improves.

I do find it odd that crysis (both games) tends to use one core more than the other...

NOT only that, but it uses a huge amount of memory (1.7GB).

Yeah I learned from playing tweaking AoC that threaded optimization needs to be "ON" instead of "Auto" as there's something about games needing to enable it during start up but none do...or something. Either way I hope you saw some performance gains.

I've been playing it on Very High, or Enthusiast, what ever they changed the name too. I get 25-50 FPS depending on the situation, for a single player FPS this is playable enough for me. This is at 1680x1050 with an AMD 6000+, 8800 GTX and 4 GB of ram. I haven't seen much studdering but the level I am on right now, Frozen Paradise I think it's called, runs at about 5 FPS for some reason. It's really bad.

I've been playing it on Very High, or Enthusiast, what ever they changed the name too. I get 25-50 FPS depending on the situation, for a single player FPS this is playable enough for me. This is at 1680x1050 with an AMD 6000+, 8800 GTX and 4 GB of ram. I haven't seen much studdering but the level I am on right now, Frozen Paradise I think it's called, runs at about 5 FPS for some reason. It's really bad.

Ummm...

I wish I lived in whatever neverland you are from...

Check the benchmark thread, because I've never seen a single 8800 able to run at very high at that res with those frames.

Pretty good, I'd say.

You ever run the official benchmark for crysis at those settings and resolution?

Try it some time and post up.

I have a core 2 duo E8400 (3.0 ghz), 4 GB ddr2, and two 8800 gt (overclocked) in sli and I can barely eek out 45 fps at high settings at 1680 x 1050.

My performance with the Nvidia threaded optimization is no better when set to "on" and the image looks worse IMO.

ftw...

I haven't done the benchmark for Crysis Warhead, only for the original, but for me Warhead runs a lot better than the original. The 25-50 fps is the average. Interior areas have no problems running in the mid to high 40s. Out in the open the average probably is around 25ish, with it dipping into the teens at some parts.

Well, going back and actually turning on the FPS command, I realize I might have over exaggerated a little bit. :D

It was more like 30-40 indoors and 15-20 outside.

screenshot0001.jpg

screenshot0002.jpg

screenshot0003.jpg

screenshot0004.jpg

screenshot0005.jpg

screenshot0006.jpg

screenshot0007.jpg

screenshot0008.jpg

When I reloaded my save of the area that was running at 5 fps it went back to it's normal FPS.

Edited by VooDooPC

Maybe a memory leak?

Looks like a pretty sweet game. I'm playing the regular Crysis @ 1680x1050 and getting 15-35fps outside and 20-45fps inside, everything on "high". I didnt even bother trying "very high". :)

PS what's the fps command? I'm sick of using fraps for it.

Edited by DarkArchon

I haven't done the benchmark for Crysis Warhead, only for the original, but for me Warhead runs a lot better than the original. The 25-50 fps is the average. Interior areas have no problems running in the mid to high 40s. Out in the open the average probably is around 25ish, with it dipping into the teens at some parts.

Well so far, there is no official built-in warhead bench...so I guess we have to take the devs on their word (I don't) that Warhead performs much better than orig game.

I get some serious lag and stutters...I cannot figure out ftw is going on...I had two crashes as well in the past 24 hours.

Your later post and those FPS sound about right.

Both you and Dark should run the built in benches in crysis and then try out Warhead with an FPS counter to see diff.

FPS command is:

r_displayinfo = 1

Took me a while to figure out how to work the console because for some reason if you have a remote receiver plugged in the tilde key doesn't do anything.

My game has been pretty stable. I had a lot of problems with the original but this one seems to run better and have less issues for me. The only crash I had was playing Crysis Wars.

Older Benchmarks:

GPU all settings on Medium at 1680 x 1050

Min: 20.37

Max: 61.63

AVG: 36.94

GPU all settings on High at 1680 x 1050

Min: 10.83

Max: 29.27

AVG: 22.86

GPU all settings on Very High (Water on High) at 1680 x 1050

Min: 5.96

Max: 11.51

AVG: 10.32

Those were my benchmarks for the original. I posted on October 27th, 2007, before any patches came out though. Video drivers have probably come a long ways too.

Got some new benchmarks I took just now:

GPU all settings on High at 1680 x 1050

Min: 17.98

Max: 39.70

AVG: 30.27

GPU all settings on Very High at 1680x1050

Min: 11.71

Max: 21.86

AVG: 18.74

This is with the latest drivers and version 1.2.1 of the game.

Edited by VooDooPC

I am running the Intel e8400 at stock 3.0 Ghz. 4 Gigs of Ram. ATI 4870 at 1680x1050 with everything but shadows set to "Gamer" with 2xAA and 8xAF without any issues. I would get an occasional slowdown with lots of action and the like but nothing like what I got on my 8800gtx when I still had that. I guess they are about the same since Nvidia cards play this game better but this newer card is overall better than the 8800gtx.

For those of you that are playing this game, is it woth buying? I'm not sure I want a SP game but I did enjoy playing the first crysis. I'm just glad they decided to drop the price on this one. And how are you buying this, Store bought or through Steam. Was considering through Steam this time but not sure, what do you think.

Edited by Primus

Thanks VooDoo. Now I know how to haxorz it! :) Looks like I get similar stats compared to you, but just above. My avg was around 36 with everything on "high" @ 1680x1050, and 3.0 Ghz. I am not sure if I have the latest patch... I think I do. I'm hoping they release a new ati driver soon (for my 4850).

For those of you that are playing this game, is it woth buying? I'm not sure I want a SP game but I did enjoy playing the first crysis. I'm just glad they decided to drop the price on this one. And how are you buying this, Store bought or through Steam. Was considering through Steam this time but not sure, what do you think.

I would say "wait" for a month or so...

It is pretty short, and the performance bugs (some have them, some don't) make it dodgy...IMHO.

I haven't seen any cheaters which is nice. I beta tested the original Crysis MP before it came out but didn't play much MP when it was released. I'm not sure if there's exploits and stuff out there I haven't seen and don't know about.

I am wondering if the number of players will increase as more people buy the game or it will diminish because of people realizing not many other people are playing and leaving.

has anyone come up with a solution to the stupid movies you have to suffer through even to play multiplayer. I would like to know how to get rid of them at the start so I can jump right to the internet games. Can't find the cfg files to remove them. Bought it through steam so maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, or, they don't have the option to do that yet.

For Crysis you could just delete them, they are at:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\crysis wars\Game\Localized\Video

Unfortunately this doesn't help much because when Steam doesn't find the movies it starts downloading them again when you launch the game. If there was a way you could make the videos like, 1 second blank videos you could change the names to the current videos and it would skip right passed them.

Edited by VooDooPC

I deleted the videos last night and it worked. I even launched the game today and it still worked, so we'll see if they come back or what.

It did work though, thanks VooDoo. These are th files i left, the rest I deleted. FYI to those who got it from steam.

videofilesileftalone.jpg

Edited by Primus

I finished it today, the only thing I wasn't expecting was there being no connection at all to the original Crysis story. I was expecting to be getting that Korean woman out of that city or covering Nomad with a sniper rifle while he blows up the boat antenna. The game could have been on the other side of the island or the other side of the world really. I basically wanted to play Crysis from Psycho's perspective.

I also don't understand how the Koreans have technology on one side of the island but not the same on the other side. One side had mounted miniguns, APCs, and mini uzis the other side had mini nukes, hand held miniguns and pickup trucks. I don't think I saw any boats on Psycho's side.