Quick Advice

[LaW]Maverick

Ok, so I was doing some reading on BluRay players because my father in law wants one for his new TV. So, from what I've read the Playstation 3 makes the best player because it's the only one out right now that supports all the features (from what I've read) including BD Live.

In addition, it was just ranked as the best player out there when compared to the others. Now, he obviously doesn't want it to play games--though occasionally he does have company that would play games on it and be grateful, so I have a few questions:

1.) How easy is the PS3 to use (on a mother scale) to watch Movies on?

2.) When you pop a movie into the PS3, does it automatically play, or can it be set to automatically play so that one doesn't have to go through the menus?

3.) Does the PS3 support a standard USB keyboard? (I'm pretty sure it does, I just want to double check)

4.) Does the PS3 work with a Logitech Harmony universal remote? (I'll prolly check this myself in a minute)

5.) Is the 80 GB model reverse compatible with any of the old systems? (that one's for me :))

6.) How does the PS3 really perform while watching movies?

Now please, keep this to a quick answer thread. Heck, most of you know I'm not a huge Sony game-system fan, but I want to make sure he gets the best BluRay player available--and it looks like that means the PS3. So no Sony bashing or praising--just objective answers if you please. :)

Thanks everyone! (PS, he'll probably be buying this today)

4.) Does the PS3 work with a Logitech Harmony universal remote? (I'll prolly check this myself in a minute)

I don't actually own a PS3, but from what I have read about using it as a BD player, it is not compatible with other universal remotes as it does not have IR. This is by far the biggest gripe from home theater buffs that use it to watch Blu-ray. You will most likely have to use the PS3 specific remote (or a controller). (+1 for the 360 here since my Harmony works beautifully with it! - sorry, couldn't help it ;) ) Picture and sound quality-wise I have heard/read that they are the same as the regular players, but slightly louder. Hopefully someone here can confirm this for you from first-hand experience.

I think I read on Cnet that some stand-alone players are coming out this fall (if they aren't already) that can compete with the PS3 on BD features, however the price difference isn't that much and they can't play PS3 games, obviously.

I'd love to get into Blu-ray myself (and thus justify a PS3 to my wife - perhaps) but the biggest obstacle at the moment is that the movies themselves are too expensive for my tastes. Once the price of the discs starts coming down, then I will get serious about looking to get into HD movies.

Edited by boilersax

I did a lil' more reading, and there's a work-around for universal remotes, but you're right...no IR on the PS3, it's straight Blue Tooth....+ a lot to my 360 as my Harmony remote works on it wonderfully.

Yeah, if he were willing to wait a few months for a BluRay player, I'd tell him to wait, but I think he wants one right now. All he'd really be losing in buying a stand-alone player is games, BD Live, web browser, and a few features (Home anyone) that Sony has been promising for a while.

I dunno...maybe I'll just tell him to buy it and we'll set it up to see how complicated it is. If it's too much of a pain to use, we can just return it....

I own a PS3 and love it.

1. It is very easy! Even more easy if you buy the PS3 remote even though it isn't needed. Plus the remotes are bluetooth (wireless ftw)

2. it plays automatically

3. I don't know, however there is a mini keyboard (qwerty keyboard like on a blackberry) you can buy and attach to the controller plus it is wireless.

4. Don't know about that one.

5. I own the 80gig and I haven't had any problems. I have heard that certain games won't work with it though. Again, no problems so far for me.

6. Performs like a Blue Ray player from Sony. I have the HDMI connection and the movies and games are amazing! Plus Blue Ray movies have extras that DVD's don't. For instance Vantage Point has a GPS tracker on each person while the movie is playing. Amazing picture!

Right now if you want the best "bang for your buck" on a Blue Ray...get the PS3. Plus you can download movies and trailers with a PS3 on the hard drive. You can't get that with other Blue Ray Players. You can also put your SD card into it and look at photos and watch movies too. The movies won't be as good of quality as Blue Ray if watched through the SD.

He went ahead and got the PS3, and I've learned a few things thus far.

Sony, in it's infinite wisdeom, didn't put an IR receiver on the player so there are no universal remotes that will control it. However, there is a work-around if you buy an infrared Nyko remote for it. If you have a learning remote, you can program it to work just like the Nyko and then you get control over the PS3 on your universal remote. Problem solved.

Now, here's a question: does the PS3 play PS1 games? 'Cause I will most likely buy one (once I get some money) because I kinda want a BluRay player myself and the stand-alone players aren't as good.

Now, here's a question: does the PS3 play PS1 games? 'Cause I will most likely buy one (once I get some money) because I kinda want a BluRay player myself and the stand-alone players aren't as good.

From what all the sites say and even the product information on the PS3...Yes it will play PS1 games. I don't know about all games though. I personally haven't played any PS1 games on my system.

But your Pop (its what I call my father in law) made the right choice on getting the PS3 for BlueRay. Now just hook it up to his Internet connection and start downloading movies and such. Good stuff.

Oh, it's hooked up. Thanks Shazz! :)

Is there DLC on PSN like there is on Live? I know I can download all sorts of HD things on my XBOX and it's cheaper than doing it through my bloody cable company. :)

Yes there is. You need to make a Playstation underground account (at least I think that is the name of it). I can't remember at the moment but if you scroll to the far right on the PS menu you will see the place to make a account.

One thing cool about the PS3, it doesn't cost anything to play online or even some DLC. I am sure that some stuff cost.

:luxhello: welcome to ps3 world lol

One of the big reason I have not bought a ps3 is it is NOT backward compatible with ps1 and ps2 games.

Well, seeing how I just turned off Burnout Revenge for the PS2 system on my PS3 80gig.... You can play these games on a ps3. I haven't played any ps1 games on it, but I know others that have. All I own at the moment are PS2 and PS3 games and I know you CAN play them. So Farmer, if that is the only reason you haven't got one...you have been pointing in the wrong direction. I am here to show you the light my brother! lol :P

With the new software upgrades via the wireless connection you can play these older games.

quick point...when you put in a older ps1 or ps2 game disk it ask you to make a virtual memory card on the hard drive. That was something the older software wouldn't allow you to do, but the new software now allows.

Cool, I'll bring a game up to see if it works. I never bought a PS2 'cause the things break so dern much (my friend went through 5 in 3 years and he takes care of his stuff), so there's some games I wanted to play that I missed out on. It's a brand new 80 gig one, so we'll see if it works.

The new slim ones are much much better...I broke down last January 2 years ago (where has the time gone!?) and finally got to play that boss battle game, what was it called...? Oh yeah, FFX.

One of the big reason I have not bought a ps3 is it is NOT backward compatible with ps1 and ps2 games.

Well, seeing how I just turned off Burnout Revenge for the PS2 system on my PS3 80gig.... You can play these games on a ps3. I haven't played any ps1 games on it, but I know others that have. All I own at the moment are PS2 and PS3 games and I know you CAN play them. So Farmer, if that is the only reason you haven't got one...you have been pointing in the wrong direction. I am here to show you the light my brother! lol :P

With the new software upgrades via the wireless connection you can play these older games.

quick point...when you put in a older ps1 or ps2 game disk it ask you to make a virtual memory card on the hard drive. That was something the older software wouldn't allow you to do, but the new software now allows.

Well then, I stand corrected. I thought it wouldn't play em but don't know the exact source of my misinformation. No that is not the other reason but that swings me towards the purchase... now where to get the $ for a new tv and ps3?

I think it was Magruter that posted a link for $150 a purchase of $299 or more at the SonyStyle store. That means you can get an 80GB PS3 for $250.

A nice HDTV might run ya somewhere around a grand or so.

So that just leaves how you'll pay for all that nice stuff. How open are you to the idea of mugging little kids for cash? We should talk.

I think it was Magruter that posted a link for $150 a purchase of $299 or more at the SonyStyle store. That means you can get an 80GB PS3 for $250.

So that just leaves how you'll pay for all that nice stuff. How open are you to the idea of mugging little kids for cash? We should talk.

Whoa! Where's that link?

PM sent. :)