vista to xp downgrade cd

Fairweather

Are you sure one exists? I know in the Vista license, you have permission to downgrade to a previous version of Windows but by this it means you can install XP instead of Vista, not actually downgrade the actual Vista OS install down to XP.

Reasons why you are ready to kick Vista in the teeth? Maybe we can help you fix your issues (if they are fixable). There are a good number of GCers that have been using Vista with little to no problem for a while now, so the knowledgebase has grown pretty well recently :)

oh, and Dweez is right about the downgrade stuff, at least it USED to be the case. Not sure if anything's changed since XP is officially not being sold (retail) anymore.

Edited by boilersax

i could never go back to xp. yes, it is quicker for general tasks but vista is so much easier. installing new things, fixing problems, day to day use, it's all easier on vista.

i must be doing something wrong, i find it painfully terrible to install anything, especially hardware

.. i swear i've seen the disk before but yet again maybe because u cant buy xp like bioler said its no longer available

Problems: its just sluggish and crashes all the time, takes me a billion years to do anything

i could never go back to xp. yes, it is quicker for general tasks but vista is so much easier. installing new things, fixing problems, day to day use, it's all easier on vista.

i must be doing something wrong, i find it painfully terrible to install anything, especially hardware

.. i swear i've seen the disk before but yet again maybe because u cant buy xp like bioler said its no longer available

Problems: its just sluggish and crashes all the time, takes me a billion years to do anything

How much RAM do you have?

I'm with Cujo though--everything has been pretty freakin' easy on Vista, and I've had much better luck with hardware installation on it than I ever did with another Windows OS....though it is picky about the power of your computer. I have 4 GB of RAM and I recommend it to anyone else running Vista. (especially with RAM being so cheap now-a-days)

careful, you're sounding like a mac user.

:D

i know dell sells xp downgrade discs (with vista purchase), but i'm not sure if you can buy it as an oem. i'll look (2 more hours of downloading/time to kill) and post if i find it.

Again, I believe you get the "Download Rights" not an actual disk that if you pop it in your Vista computer and hit run it will downgrade Vista to XP leaving all your applications and data intact. You still need to install XP fresh.
looks like you're right. wording on the dell site is "downgrade rights service," which in true microsoft language fashion, makes perfect sense.

I'm with Cujo though--everything has been pretty freakin' easy on Vista, and I've had much better luck with hardware installation on it than I ever did with another Windows OS....though it is picky about the power of your computer. I have 4 GB of RAM and I recommend it to anyone else running Vista. (especially with RAM being so cheap now-a-days)

i only got a 1gig of ram goin for me right now but its in a laptop so upgrading = painful

i only got a 1gig of ram goin for me right now but its in a laptop so upgrading = painful

When was the last time you put ram in a laptop? It's fairly simple and straight forward now.

yeah now you usually just take out 2-4 screws and the RAM is right there. Easier than taking the case apart on a desktop. Plus RAM is so cheap now a days it would be silly not to pop in more since 1gb is way too small of a ram set-up w/ vista. Modern PCs need more ;).

yeah now you usually just take out 2-4 screws and the RAM is right there. Easier than taking the case apart on a desktop. Plus RAM is so cheap now a days it would be silly not to pop in more since 1gb is way too small of a ram set-up w/ vista. Modern PCs need more ;).

lol i'm such a computer n00b

Not sure what kind ram you need but here is some at a decent price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....20(2%20x%202GB)

that is a decent price.. now to see if they ship to canada

Edited by Fairweather

Anyone have more specifics on the "downgrade"? I've read that with a Vista Business license also comes the license to use XP Pro instead. However, there are varying reports of how you can install XP pro; some say with site licensed software, some say retail, and another said computer builder's "holograph" install disk (is that the same as these OEMs you buy from Newegg?) In any case you are to install with whatever XP license (supposedly) and then call Microsoft to activate instead of doing it online.

Law firm in my building bought new computer and old software just won't work with it. So I get the nod to get it working, legally that is. Just wondering if anyone's actually done it and called MS.