money getting tight?

stutters

wouldn't it be cool if something downloaded, categorized, and graphed all of your finances automatically every day— so you don’t have to. you'd get to know where you’re spending, without spending any effort. spent more in entertainment than last month? this will tell you. spent more in groceries than last month? this will tell you. have a high apr credit card? this will compare your rates to other cards you might be eligible for.

i can't say enough good stuff about this application. it's super easy to use, is highly secured, and like everything i like, it's free.

yes, it's a web app. nervous? (scroll down for more faq-goodness)

http://www.mint.com/privacy/

check out the demo:

http://www.mint.com/product/videos/mint-demo/

or read about it:

http://www.mint.com/solutions/

or signup:

https://wwws.mint.com/login.event?task=S

it's safe. it's venture-backed by several reputable vc firms (i know guys at shasta), and i just found out my good friend worked with and can vouch for several of the guys on the core team.

give it a shot. it's really, really good, and has helped me trim my budget.

advertisement>

I'm very good at managing my money.. I read about mint the other day and i forgot to look it up. I just added about 5 accounts and it looks like I will start using this.. thanks for the reminder...

(edited)

Well.. this still doesn't allow me to do what I do with a simple excel spreadsheet. With an excel spreadsheet, I know how much money I will have in my bank account at the end of November.. That is if i stick my plan, which I normally do.

Edited by KNOWFX

hmmm... interesting interesting.. the idea is really good.. i got a credit card and a checking account... don't know if this will be really my bread and butter until i make some real $

GC Alumni
hmmm... interesting interesting.. the idea is really good.. i got a credit card and a checking account... don't know if this will be really my bread and butter until i make some real $
i wouldn't look at this as a way to make money, but save more of the money you're already making. hope you find it useful - the earlier you can start understanding your personal finances, the more better.

I don't need an application like this to tell me how much to spend or not to spend.

I just use the stick-my-head-in-the-sand method. Spend away until my pocket is empty. :)

Love the app. Great recommendation as always! Thanks.

GC Alumni
Couldn't get my TCF account to work on it.
there should be an option to request your bank be added. you can give that a shot, or sit tight. a new version is in QA right now, and should be pushed out to public pretty soon -- which includes additional banks. if TCF a local bank (not regional or national), they may not have it yet, but they add em quick.

Can someone explain the security section to me a bit? They have your bank logon credentials. Isn't that one way to "personally identify" who someone is? If I gave you my bank username/password, I'll bet you'd be able to figure out my name and home address pretty darn quickly.

(edited)

I signed up for this a couple months ago.. got as far as registering 1 card, then stopped. I still get a weekly email about the balance on my 1 card.

I don't care what the security is on the back end, or if you don't give your PID.. or they can't see your PID.. but putting all of this information, including your ability to access this information in one place doesn't sit right with me.. bank login information + email + and PID

I have some friends and colleagues who use it and love it, but it's not worth the risk imo.. this coming from a paranoid IT security auditor, so take it for what it's worth..

Edited by mohawk

GC Alumni

i'm not sure what the concern is, so i can't really answer. besides, mohawk isn't a security auditor, he sells snow cones at soccer games.

credentials are protected with salts -- non retrievable in the event of a database compromise or in transit. i'm not worried about the transport from my bank to mint.

if you're worried about mint, i can kind of get that, but do you watch your waiter when they take your credit card and swipe it out of sight? i trust mint on reference of the vc stakeholders.

but here, have some FUD with your fruit roll ups :D