New Build Suggestions?

Ok, so here is the stuff that I'm looking at seriously for the build now, thanks to all the input from everyone!

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor

ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory (2 sets of these for 8GB total)

EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (I might think about one of those WD 640GB 32MB cache ones, seems to get better reviews)

Antec TPQ-850 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Microsoft Windows Vista Business SP1 64-bit English 1pk for System Builders

Logitech MX518 2-Tone 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB + PS/2 Wired Optical 1800 dpi Gaming-Grade Mouse

I'm still looking at cases, and I'm looking for a decent one with good cooling. And Preacher that's the exact monitor i was looking at today. I saw it and saw the price and was like "wow, not a bad deal at all!" so i might get it, but I'll start off with this 19" one.

So how's everything look? I know the video card is prolly still overkill, but it isn't quite as fast and saves me some money. The RAM seems like a good deal to me to get 8GB of it for like $170. The total after shipping comes out to about $1,441.64, but thats without a case, monitor, or keyboard. I'm gonna throw my Sound Blaster Xtreme gamer X-Fi sound card into it, along with the DVD burner from this computer, i have a spare CD drive i can put in here. More suggestions or thoughts would be great!

wd makes 32mb cache drives?

they still make 518s?? cool. i like my g5.

i've got 4gb of the same ram. lookin to get 8gb but it's out of stock my my supplier right now.

i don't even bother looking at those high end mobos anymore. the performance differences are so negligible.

listen to mav's idea with the two hdds. they're so cheap right now there's no reason not to get two and setup a raid 1. higher read performance and you don't have to worry about any down time.

(edited)

bah whatever, Seagate, WD, i got them confused. I haven;t set up raid before so I will read up on how to and see about getting 2 HDD.

I was only getting the MX518 cuz its cheaper than most of the newer gaming mice, but i haven't made any life commitments to my mouse yet lol. i still use a MX310 and it seems to still own most people, a mouse is a mouse is a mouse as long as you know how to adjust the sensitivity to your liking IMO, why waste money on it.

I also found some cheaper Mobos. Asus Striker Formula (open box though)

EVGA LGA 775 FTW (looks like a decent deal and board)

Edited by samurai nightling

I included RAM on the wish list--just forgot to post it up...hahaha...sorry

it was DDR2 for sure, like I said, DDR3 isn't worth the hype YET. I accidentally erased the wish list I made for ya' though...

I'd go with that Striker Formula since you found a good price and I'd still consider going with the GTX 280. Yeah, you're not utilizing it now, but if you upgrade your monitor you won't have to buy a graphics card at the same time. That's a call you'd have to make though--the question is are you ever going to upgrade your monitor.

Stick with Seagate drives. I've said it in here before, but my brother works with 100's of hard drives a day in his lab...literally. By far, the ones that fail the LEAST are the Seagates. Just to give you an idea, his workstation alone is set up with 16 TB worth of HDD space, and that's just HIS work station. That doesn't count all their home-brewed servers, offender hard drives, and what have you. Also, the Seagates are the hardest to destroy when they're trying to destroy HDDs. He says the Western Digital drives they USED to buy have all failed--one he only had for a month.

Grant it, these guys are using the HDD's a little more harshly than you or I would, but that just proves that the Seagates are even more robust. :) (for the record, I used to be a big-time WD fan-boy)

Definitely get 64-bit Windows. I have Ultimate 64 with no problems to date (it's been a lil' over a year now, I think) and I love it. They're right about future programs, that 64 bit capability shouldn't be wasted from your processor.

(edited)

yeah i noticed that 8mb cache also. Its great if you really really have to save money but need the space. However, I'm not buying it becasue im going for more performance but thanks preacher.

Ugh i still need to decide on a case. What do you guys think about the Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case?? People say it has a brittle top fan though.

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Antec TPQ-850 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English 1pk for System Builders DSP OEI DVD - OEM

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8500 - Retail

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail

Tuniq Tower 120 Universal CPU Cooler 120mm Cooling Fan and Fan Controller/Heatsink - Retail

SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - OEM

Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM

GeForce GTX 260 OCX 896 MB GDDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card (got cheap, reason went with this instead of ATI

MX518 Gaming-Grade USB Optical Mouse

Total: $1098

Just ordered this all from newegg, didnt want to go crazy but I like my build. It basically is a sub 1k build but I had to buy an OS. Didnt want to go the pirate way

(edited)

Nice stuff, yeah I'm basically just looking to go a bit faster than all that, in hopes that i won;t need to do any type of computer building for some years to come. The more i think about it though, the more spending $1500 sounds less appealing to me. I'm looking over everything again and seeing where i can go cheaper without losing too much performance.

Man, not to wanna be a copycat, but thats a sweet case. I like the cooling it would provide with the fan placements.

Nice stuff, yeah I'm basically just looking to go a bit faster than all that, in hopes that i won;t need to do any type of computer building for some years to come. The more i think about it though, the more spending $1500 sounds less appealing to me. I'm looking over everything again and seeing where i can go cheaper without losing too much performance.

If you go with this case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811129025

and then add this PSU when adding the case to your cart

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817371009

Its only 199, decent deal for a nice PSU and case

thats the PSU i had chosen anyway! good deal man, thanks for showing me this.

you chose it cause i told you m2 was getting it!...

"thanks cujo!"

:P

nice system m2.

sam, i haven't heard anything about a "brittle" top fan but i know a couple people with the 900 and it's pretty nice.

I absolutely love my Antec 900...best case I've ever owned

only con I can think of is that it gets kinda dusty 'cause there aren't any fan filter like on my old thermaltake. It's not a big deal though, I blow it out somewhere around once a year (I don't keep it on the floor, so it doesn't get too terrible)

As for the top fan being brittle...I haven't had any trouble, and neither has Slaughter who also has an Antec 900.

(edited)

oh ok cool. thanks guys, and yes thanks cujo! But i was already a fan of the antec truepower series since ive been using one in here. Oh wait, Cujo u basically helped me build this computer too. Dangit...

Ugh so i think i wont be able to buy this stuff til after some of the combo deals are expired. I have to wait until November at least to find out if i have to start paying back student loans or if i get a Economic hardship deferment since I'm still interning this year. If i have to pay them back then i doubt i can afford a new build lol. I should get it though, they kept telling me i would...

(edited)

Ok, so i just bought everything from newegg yesterday and today. Here's what i got...

ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) (Two sets of these for 8GB!)

EVGA GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Antec TPQ-850 850W PSU

Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (Couldn't pass up that deal with the PSU to save me $60 M2, thanks for showing me.)

LG Black DVD/CD Burner

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders

Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse

Total cost after MIR's and discounts came to $1285.89

The next step will be to buy a new monitor, but i really don't need one right now since I can use this 19" widescreen and i have an extra monitor to use for this computer i have right now. I will also reuse this keyboard for the time being, along with my SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card. I really hope everything comes working, and that it all works well together. I'm excited!

Oh I also forgot to say that everything came with free shipping, booyah!