Dead Space

ZeroDamage

Awesome game. If you've ever played Splinter Cell with the 3rd person view, then you understand how this game feels. THe graphics are simply amazing. Crisp and clean and great lighting effects. This is what Doom 3 should have been. You are stuck on this space station that is designed to "crack planets" meaning it cuts a planet up completely and mines the resources up for the human race. Well, this one ship lost contact and you are your crew are sent to fix it. Right away crap hits the fan and you are nearly crapping yourself. The monsters in this game are as creepy as it gets and the gore level is way beyond anything you've seen before yet it doesn't over shadow the game at all.

I give this game a 9/10 for story and creepiness alone. Oh and yeah, the lighting effects are the best I've seen in any game yet. Gorgeous.

I've already been waxing poetic about Dead Space in this thread

In my opinion, it's the best gaming experience I've played so far this year, especially in regards to immersion. There have already been reports that Dead Space 2 is already in development, and I can't wait to see where they take it. Lots of ideas and themes that can be played out in interesting ways for a sequel!

Best final boss battle of any game ever, period.

Spoiler below this.

The part where you are in the bio section of the ship. You know, the part with the vegetation and all of that. Every single time you go off and kill the monsters and you hear the jungle go nuts and then calm down. So friggin creepy.

Mild spoiler from chapter 5:

That part when you are locked in a tiny room with the regenerator thing... Then it kept hunting me through the whole freakin level!!

Soil-worthy moments indeed.

Run!

lol, no kidding!

When you get your revenge though, it is that much more oh-so-satisfying. I (loudly) shouted "**** YOU" at my screen when I finished it off :D

I love it when games can get me at least semi-emotionally invested.

(edited)
You guys do realize there are actual "SPOILER" tags right?

ah, zd missed them. At least he let you know ahead of time :)

That really isn't much of a spoiler honestly.

Edited by boiler

Yeah, the game is simply amazing in its ability to tell a really cool story and scaring the crap out of you without actually annoying you. There aren't random closets opening up behind you like in Doom 3.

Some tips for you on your first play: Do not waste money on any other weapon (besides your default cutter) other than the line cutter. Finding ammo for both is easy and it is overly difficult to kill enemies with a flame thrower when you are supposed to be cutting off their limbs. The saw blade thing has a default range and can only go to that spot and that is it. The other weapons are pretty much useless and upgrading them requires a lot of power nodes. Do not buy power nodes, you will find plenty. Always use the "cookie crumb" thing so you know where you have to go but always look in the other rooms first because you may not come back by there to pick up that ammo or that power node. Always know where the air ducts are above you and around you. It is hard to find a place to hide during one of those moments where you have no place to go because you are in quarantine lockdown. Always stomp the crap out of enemy bodies after the fall before running over them.. they might not be quite dead. Stop the crap out of human bodies removing all of their limbs. Trust me, you will end up doing this later anyway once you figure out why. Add one node to the air of your RIG but no more on that. Add at least 2 to your HP. Upgrade the default weapon somewhat first then work on the line cutter and add a couple to the "Mine" secondary attack. Trust me... it will save you a lot of primary ammo later.

I hope some of these tips help you avoid realizing you just wasted a bunch of time upgrading useless guns. On the second go through, you keep what you had the first time and you can then experiment with the other weapons.

Oh.. and yeah.. figure out which secondary mode works best on the primary gun. Upgrade your RIG as soon as you can. The extra space is very useful.

Great tips! I was wondering about the nodes. When you get the first one, I didn't know what to do with it so I just upgraded the damage on the default weapon.

I guess I have been doing the right thing on stomping the bodies on the floor. At first I was practicing the stomp on bodies, then paranoia kicked in and I started stomping all of them.

Anyway, great tips!

My brain went faster than my fingers. You want the new Line Cutter as well as the default weapon. Both are best. The default weapon has ammo plenty that you can find and buy if it comes to that. The Line Cutter does much more damage and is good against the big ones that run fast at you. Go for their legs first. The secondary attack on the Line Cutter is a grenade / mine kind of thing and works great over boxes, around corners, and against lots of smaller little critters that require a single shot of the regular gun to kill each one. The other weapons are just useless, period.

Couple more tips from someone who has beat the game 1.5 times:

- Try to keep one power node on you at all times - you will run into doors that require using one power node to open, and the stuff in those rooms is worth the price

- Upgrade your RIG first, as the plasma cutter and line gun do good enough damage for the first several chapters as is

- I found that I had enough ammo and health packs but lots of money, so I used that money for power nodes. Never ever let your cash drop to zero though in case you need an emergency clip

- The ripper is cool to see, but essentially worthless. Contact Beam is great for boss fights (even un-upgraded), and once you put a couple nodes for damage, the Force Gun is surprisingly and satisfyingly useful.

- That said, on the first time through only spend nodes on your rig, STASIS, plasma cutter, and maybe the line gun if you have enough. It really is worth the nodes to upgrade stasis at least a little, those extra seconds it can give you can really make a difference down the road (especially with a certain mini-boss)

I never found anything behind the doors worth using the nodes for. The nodes cost 10k a piece and maybe I would find a gold thing that would give me 3500 but never enough of anything to make up for the cost of the node. I found it much more useful to upgrade my RIG HP 3 times, 1 air, almost completely upgrade the original weapon and almost completely upgrade the line cutter. I never put anything in the stasis but I would have if I hadn't wasted a few nodes on the other guns and the doors. To each his own I guess.

When I finished the game, I had probably 20-30 medium health packs in the bank and I still had almost all of them on me. I always kept 4 or 5 on me at the later levels and still kept picking up the small ones which were good for quick boosts before using a save point but not worth keeping over ammo. You never know when you will need more ammo at times more so than others

(edited)

behind MOST of the node doors, you'll find cash/goods that comes close to or exceeds 10k, on top of the ammo cache. I found it useful end felt that it was worth more than 10k. Most times I found enough hard cash and/or a circuit board so that I could go buy another node anyway on top of the ammo in the room. I generally think they're worth it (i think one or two of them have vid/audio logs in them, can't remember for sure), but they aren't necessary by any means.

That's one of the great parts about this game - there are so many different ways to play it :)

Once you get your plasma cutter maxed, try cutting of a limb with one shot, then grabbing it with kineses and shooting at the necro you just took it from. Fun times.

Edited by boiler

Once you get your plasma cutter maxed, try cutting of a limb with one shot, then grabbing it with kineses and shooting at the necro you just took it from. Fun times.

AHHH I never thought about doing that! Nice!

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question....I have the PS3 version of this game. I have the suit that adds all of the extra storage space. But I can't use all of them. Not the weapon slots, but the slots that hold the ammo and such. How in the world can I use these slots? I am tired of going back and forth to the store to store junk when I should be able to carry it around with me.

Am I missing something??? confused.

One quick note to help you understand....I have a rig that I hold's alot. Whenever I get around 9 items in my rig, I can't pick up any more. It keeps telling me that I am full. When I go to look at my Rig and the remaining slots...I get ticked knowing that there are double the slots to use but the game won't let me use them.

Again,....Am I missing something??

Quick question....I have the PS3 version of this game. I have the suit that adds all of the extra storage space. But I can't use all of them. Not the weapon slots, but the slots that hold the ammo and such. How in the world can I use these slots? I am tired of going back and forth to the store to store junk when I should be able to carry it around with me.

Am I missing something??? confused.

One quick note to help you understand....I have a rig that I hold's alot. Whenever I get around 9 items in my rig, I can't pick up any more. It keeps telling me that I am full. When I go to look at my Rig and the remaining slots...I get ticked knowing that there are double the slots to use but the game won't let me use them.

Again,....Am I missing something??

I take it you downloaded the free "obsidian suit" for the PS3? My guess is you don't have that suit actually equipped. Even though you download that suit, you don't actually get it until you reach your first store (end of Chapter 1). You then have to "buy" it for free at the store (bottom of the list) and you will then see the visual changes and have all of the slots unlocked. With the starting level 1 suit, you can SEE all the potentially available slots but you can't access them until you get the upgraded suit. It's an enormous help (possibly even cheap?) to have all the inventory slots open from Chapter 2 on.

Anyways, I'm thinking you just haven't equipped the suit you downloaded yet.

I did all of that Boiler...I went to the store in game and bought it. Put it on and I definitely see the changes (in the way it looks). I am in Chapter 2 playing the game but with the same slots as the first suit. More than half of them are grayed out.

To equip the suit you step into the store after you purchase it...right?? If so, that is what I did. Am I missing a step?

Anyone play this and Fallout 3? How do they compare? I'm just about done with fallout 3, all I have left now is to mop up really, though there are alot

of points I have not been to. I really don't have time to play another game now with wrath out on thursday, but I just wanted to see how they compared.

I did all of that Boiler...I went to the store in game and bought it. Put it on and I definitely see the changes (in the way it looks). I am in Chapter 2 playing the game but with the same slots as the first suit. More than half of them are grayed out.

To equip the suit you step into the store after you purchase it...right?? If so, that is what I did. Am I missing a step?

Each new suit gives you more armor and some extra slots. You do not get all of the slots until you buy the 5th level suit.

even though you can see all of the slots, you still don't get them until you buy all the suits...correct?

How do you get the Obsidian suit? I am on lvl 3 and I am still using Suit 2. The one you buy for 10000 in game.