New to the game

Shropshire Slasher

Anyone here wanna point me to a good beginner's guide to the game... there are many, but not sure how many are that great.

I made a player and mucked around a bit to get the feel. But now I want to recreate a character and not just guess what to answer for the various questions, and create someone I can use.

Any character creation advice would be nice.

SS

Questions? Did you mean to post this in the Fallout 3 thread?

D00d. I srsly meant Oblivion.

You know: pick one of over 9000 equally creepy races. Then captain Picard asks you about your sign. (he totally wanted me).

Oh...I get it.

Go buy Fallout 3.

But really I would use a site with FAQs (like GameFaqs.com) and just read up. The game does a pretty decent job of explaining what everything does, what bonuses are associated with what races etc.

IGN has a guide that may help you with character creation/early stuff. I read through it a couple of months ago when I was thinking about picking Oblivion up. My head was swimming from TMI overload, but your answers should lie somewhere within.

Go buy Fallout 3.

Seconded, and Thirded. Awesome, awesome game.

Nice one Dweez...I have just read most of that and I am actually thinking about reloading this game for another go around...I really loved this game, but I admit I never finished it because it got boring towards the end when it was just shut down one gate after another...and they were all so similar it was boring. I think this time I want to do more side quests and follow through with the guilds more, I breezed through that alot the first time around.

Question...can a person go through all the guilds? Or will the fact that you already went through one alienate you from another?

Nope, you can be in multiple guilds. I was playing it strong for quite some time, joined several guilds, but then I messed up by using a trainer to up my stats and it became too easy. I think I might install it again and play it through normal. Let me look on another forum. A guy there posted some "must-have" mods.

Damn..upon further investigation, I cannot locate my copy, I am hoping my dad has it back in Ohio and can mail it to me, otherwise, I may have to go buy it again, in which case I would just buy the Game of the Year Edition which has the Knights of the Nine and The Shivering Isles expansions included.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Ok, so funny story.

I cashed in some BB reward zone points for $40 in certificates so I could go pick up a copy of Boom Blox Bash Party (shut up, it's more fun than it sounds and the wife and fam actually will play it). I expected it to be $50 like most Wii games, so roughly $10 out of pocket.

I found the game I came for, took it to the register, and found out it was only $39.99. The guy told me my certificates were only good for pre-tax totals, and couldn't use all of mine because I was $.01 short of $40. He suggested I go grab something else so I could use all of my certificates. Did I grab a cheapie $2 item from the nearby rack? No. I went to the 360 aisle and picked up the copy of Oblivion GOTY edition that I had been eyeing, and slapped it down on the counter. The guy had a "are you crazy? you know you just needed to add $.01 right?" look on his face. So for $37, I walked out with two new games. Woot.

After wrapping up the campaign in Bad Company, I popped Oblivion in, went through the creation stuff, and completed the first quest. I'm hoping things pick up soon because it doesn't quite have my full attention just yet. I have done zero exploring thus far though, so perhaps that will help suck me in a little more. I have never played a game of this "period" before, so the spells/majika crap is new to me. Jury is still out here, but I figure it wasn't too bad of an impulse buy.

Ok, so funny story.

I cashed in some BB reward zone points for $40 in certificates so I could go pick up a copy of Boom Blox Bash Party (shut up, it's more fun than it sounds and the wife and fam actually will play it). I expected it to be $50 like most Wii games, so roughly $10 out of pocket.

I found the game I came for, took it to the register, and found out it was only $39.99. The guy told me my certificates were only good for pre-tax totals, and couldn't use all of mine because I was $.01 short of $40. He suggested I go grab something else so I could use all of my certificates. Did I grab a cheapie $2 item from the nearby rack? No. I went to the 360 aisle and picked up the copy of Oblivion GOTY edition that I had been eyeing, and slapped it down on the counter. The guy had a "are you crazy? you know you just needed to add $.01 right?" look on his face. So for $37, I walked out with two new games. Woot.

After wrapping up the campaign in Bad Company, I popped Oblivion in, went through the creation stuff, and completed the first quest. I'm hoping things pick up soon because it doesn't quite have my full attention just yet. I have done zero exploring thus far though, so perhaps that will help suck me in a little more. I have never played a game of this "period" before, so the spells/majika crap is new to me. Jury is still out here, but I figure it wasn't too bad of an impulse buy.

Oh lordy...there is so much to explain that is probably going right over your head...I'm still confused as to some of the aspects and I've put in well over 300 hours... lol

Ok, so funny story.

Oh lordy...there is so much to explain that is probably going right over your head...I'm still confused as to some of the aspects and I've put in well over 300 hours... lol

I don't know whether I should be excited or curl up in a corner and hide from the disc.

played a good chunk a couple of days ago and got into it a little more. I have a little better grasp of the skills and character building stuff now. I kinda wish I could go back and change a few things, but I might save that for future playthroughs. Once I got the hang of the melee combat, things started clicking a little more and I'm digging it. I'm officially hooked :)

I will say though that I'm REALLY glad I played Fallout 3 before this - my head would be swimming right now if I didn't have the Fallout RPG primer for this.

I played the games a second time around stating few months ago, got around 100hrs in. Did the quests that I didnt do the first time like the Mages Guild. Pretty cool once you are accepted into the guild you gain access to all of their equipment in the Imperial City's hall, you can create you own spells and enchant weapons.

If I ever play again I would try Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul mod, or more common the ooo mod.

It's still a fantastic game and one of my favorites of all time. As good as Fallout 3 is I still have played Oblivion for more hours. (that's not to say that Fallout3 isn't awesome)