true test of strength

LoveForPriscillaChan

http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/081...ger-rabies.html

seriously, i can barely run a mile without wheezing!

haha a rabid fox... that's incredibly random!

I am sooooo tired of this. ^

My kids say this all the time.

I think you have the wrong definition of random in your brain.

"Without definite aim direction, rule, or method"

A rabid fox biting someone they encounter by surprise in the woods is completely NOT random.

1) Fox are one of the most likely animals to get rabies because of the prey they eat (rodents, possum, etc...which are highly prone to rabies).

2) Fox are territorial anyway, so a jogger running quietly along a trail startling the animal is a threat.

3) The lady tried to grab the fox after it bit her the first time, which is why it latched on to her arm.

Random, would be a lady in the woods in Ohio being crushed to death by a 6000 lb rhino falling from the clear blue sky.

That is your definition of random.

</lesson>

A rabid fox biting someone they encounter by surprise in the woods is completely NOT random.

1) Fox are one of the most likely animals to get rabies because of the prey they eat (rodents, possum, etc...which are highly prone to rabies).

2) Fox are territorial anyway, so a jogger running quietly along a trail startling the animal is a threat.

3) The lady tried to grab the fox after it bit her the first time, which is why it latched on to her arm.

Random, would be a lady in the woods in Ohio being crushed to death by a 6000 lb rhino falling from the clear blue sky.

</lesson>

tek your my hero lol :luxhello:

I think youspan> have the wrong definition of random in your brain.

:P

nut
(edited)

</lesson>

I found the fact that she ran a mile with a fox attached to her arm very random.. You know what i would probably have done? punched it a good 5 to 10 times and tried to kill the animal. I wouldn't run to my car... throw it in the trunk and drive to the hospital i would get that stupid animal off my arm and kill it and then go to the hospital... seems like it would be pretty awkward having a fox on my arm lol.and i find that the whole idea that she at the time walking randomly got attacked by a RABID .. fox outa the blue. The way she handled itself was random. Whats got your pantys in a bunch mama not make you a birthday cake this year? :smiling2:

Edited by nut

I found the fact that she ran a mile with a fox attached to her arm very random.. You know what i would probably have done? punched it a good 5 to 10 times and tried to kill the animal. I wouldn't run to my car... throw it in the trunk and drive to the hospital i would get that stupid animal off my arm and kill it and then go to the hospital... seems like it would be pretty awkward having a fox on my arm lol.and i find that the whole idea that she at the time walking randomly got attacked by a RABID .. fox outa the blue. The way she handled itself was random. Whats got your pantys in a bunch mama not make you a birthday cake this year? :smiling2:

Hmmm...panties not in bunch...since you didn't specify what you considered to be "random."

I challenge you to a fox-off-the-arm-punching contest. :smillie_smilling:

My argument is not with your judgment on her choice of actions (wouldn't have been my choice either), but with your USE OF THE WORD RANDOM.

In all reality...running back to her car with the fox attached still isn't random. It is one of several realistic choices this woman could have made. You are misusing the word "random" when you should be saying "unlikely" or "unpredictable."

That is all.

For clarity's sake, I'll give you an example of a random action after fox attacks and latches (in this case):

Dress the fox in Victorian period garb, conduct a dramatic interpretation of "The Tempest"~by Shakespeare in 3 acts, then light the fox on fire while building a pinata containing fly larva.

That, once again, would be "random."

Hmmm...panties not in bunch...since you didn't specify what you considered to be "random."

My argument is not with your judgment on her choice of actions (wouldn't have been my choice either), but with your USE OF THE WORD RANDOM.

In all reality...running back to her car with the fox attached still isn't random. It is one of several realistic choices this woman could have made. You are misusing the word "random" when you should be saying "unlikely" or "unpredictable."

That is all.

For clarity's sake, I'll give you an example of a random action after fox attacks and latches (in this case):

Dress the fox in Victorian period garb, conduct a dramatic interpretation of "The Tempest"~by Shakespeare in 3 acts, then light the fox on fire while building a pinata containing fly larva.

I see that this is an upsetting thing for you.. misuse of the word random. I'm sorry.

I probably will keep using it like this though.. not in spite but habit.

please accept my most sincere apology.

ok, this thread is about the awesomeness of somebody running a mile with a fox dangling from her arm, not english lessons, which are totally not awesome at all

I LOL'd at that...hard.

I do admit, that it is pretty dang awesome to run that far with a fox on your arm. I once saw a video of a kid walking down a country road with a 8" snapping turtle attached to his leg. He was crying.

Crying hard...

I will no longer harp on the misuse of the word random. It just really...really annoys me.

That is all.

Wait, now. By your own stated definition, your example at the end would be "unlikely" or "unpredictable", not random either. Not to mention that your stated definition is flawed.

at random, without definite aim, purpose, method, or adherence to a prior arrangement; in a haphazard way: Contestants were chosen at random from the studio audience.

So in theory, if she ran back to her car with a definite aim or purpose it would not be random. But if she ran haphazardly, with no purpose or aim it would be random. If she did the shakespeare fire larva thing with an intent in mind it would not be random, if it was done for no particular reason it would be random.

Though like you did state, the fact that the fox bit her would not be random by the view that under the circumstances a fox could be expected to act that way... though it could be considered random with the opinion that in a normal course of walking through the woods, you do not get bit with a rabid fox (at least not in my experience).

at random, without definite aim, purpose, method, or adherence to a prior arrangement; in a haphazard way: Contestants were chosen at random from the studio audience.

So in theory, if she ran back to her car with a definite aim or purpose it would not be random. But if she ran haphazardly, with no purpose or aim it would be random. If she did the shakespeare fire larva thing with an intent in mind it would not be random, if it was done for no particular reason it would be random.

Though like you did state, the fact that the fox bit her would not be random by the view that under the circumstances a fox could be expected to act that way... though it could be considered random with the opinion that in a normal course of walking through the woods, you do not get bit with a rabid fox (at least not in my experience).

Wait, what? I have several issues with your conclusions:

1) First, you said "you do not get bit with a rabid fox." That is perhaps the funniest thing I've read today, and I'm being serious...not derogatory. I know you have a proper command of English. But, that is seriously funny and my new quote of the day. Conjures all kinds of mental imagery. :stretch:

2) I do agree that running around haphazardly would indeed be random, based on the state definition. Yet, we cannot judge her mental state, nor her intentions. So, therefore, based on OUR predictions of normal human behaviour and fox behaviour (yes I spell that word like a Brit), Nut's original assessment of the event itself being random, is inaccurate.

3) Knowing that we cannot prejudge her mental state, the whole fiery-shakespeare-burial-pinata thingy cannot be automatically judged to be unpredictable and not necessarily random.

4) In fact, something being random (implying that it is out of place) does not preclude it also being unpredictable. I would say, by definition, they go together.

Gawd! I thought I was done with this...but it is too much fun!

Yeah, bad typo there. Clearly meant 'bit by a rabid fox.'

I agree with what you are saying here, just before you seemed to imply that one action was clearly not random (running with the fox) and one was random (play/fire/pinata). I think that either really could be random AND/OR just unpredictable. I don't think it would be wrong to describe either action random... or either action unpredictable.

But also just brings up the fact that language is a fluid thing. You can not base the right or wrong usage of a word based on a book definition. If most people would use 'at random' for this situation and most people reading it would understand the meaning of that usage, I claim that it is the proper usage no matter what the definition is. Though I am not an english professor.

nut

jesus give it a rest.

This topic is filled with a bunch of English majors

:spinface: :spinface: :spinface: :spinface:

edit: spinny faces for flavor

Edited by nut

But also just brings up the fact that language is a fluid thing. You can not base the right or wrong usage of a word based on a book definition. If most people would use 'at random' for this situation and most people reading it would understand the meaning of that usage, I claim that it is the proper usage no matter what the definition is. Though I am not an english professor.

Agree with that. I am a science major.

Just a pet-peeve. Which I think I made clear in my first post.

No hard feelins! (oops)

And really, LOLcats? FTW? Hijack!