getting a new ride

NOFX

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/931745703.html

1fa1g91313ke3m83o58bn2cd498729c761212.jpg

I'm going to take a look at this in a few hours.

Cons: 2WD, power nothing, 4 cylinder

Pros: 40k miles, 5 speed, very clean, brand new tires and Cheap!

KBB private for this vehicle is $4500. If he will come down to 5k or below, I might just pick this up.

Get this for 5k, sell my truck for $1000... That leaves 4k for the hookers..

What do you guys think? Should I hold off and see if I can pick up a low miles V6, 4WD in the 6k-6,500 range? 4WD is nice and what I want, but realistically.. it will never be used.

Edited by .fx

Well, I met him on my lunch. The car was in very good condition for being a 2002. A few dings here and there, but much better than I expected. The interior was very clean also with a new cd/mp3/xm receiver.

The body and frame had no rust at all. Under body looked new. He just had the truck checked out. Its got a new battery. All belts, including the timing belt and fluids were changed about 1k ago. And he has only ran mobile synthetic oil. I drove the truck around 60mph, the suspension felt much better than the worn out suspension in my truck. My guess is the tires had 10-15k miles on them. the 4 cylinder didn't have much get up and go, but oh well. This will be my 4th 5speed 4 cylinder vehicle, so I'm used to it.

I offered him 5k and he accepted.

KBB for this in excellent condition is only $4500, but I don't think kbb is to accurate when taking in the consideration of the amount of miles on the car. I felt like it was a fair deal considering the condition.

Although I didn't get everything I wanted, 4WD and power windows. I have a very good condition mechanically and in appearance SUV. Plus If I bought something for 10k like I was planning on, I now have an extra 5k in my pocket.

Picking it up this afternoon. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Edited by .fx

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

never posted pictures of the beast, but I must say that I feel like this is one of the best deals I made.

I've put about 5k miles or so on her since I picked it up. I ran into a few problems initially, but it's a solid running truck. A month and a half after I got it, I took it on a 300 mile trip to my parents and I found out why this guy decided to get rid of it for cheap.

I checked the oil when I arrived at my parents and noticed fibers on the engine, pulled back the timing belt cover and my timing belt was about half the width it should be(maybe less) Something was chewing it up. The guy told me he had just replaced it, so I was thinking it was a reoccurring problem. Paid $200 to replace the belt and it hasn't had any problems since. Recently got an inspection and had to pay $50 to fix a few small exhaust leaks around where he had a new muffler put on. The previous owner said his neighbor did the belt and muffler for him....

Besides those two problems, this has been one of the best vehicles I've owned. I still like trucks, but this just about works as one. My backseat lays down flat and I can haul plenty of stuff. Plus I got a place for Jake to ride where I won't mind don't hair. It's very comfortable and more than one person can ride with me(which is basically never).

The only way I'm going to trade cars again is

1) wreck

2) I NEED 4WD

3) I find an absolute steal on something I'm 100% sure to turn a profit on (but since I'm not looking for these, it's very rare I will find one)

5k cash for this baby and I'm going to see how long it will last me.