getting a new ride

NOFX

So if you had 10-11k to drop on a new car, what would you get? This will be the last vehicle you purchase for a very long time, so you will want it to last. A requirement is that is it needs to have less than 40k miles on it, but preferably less. Also take into consideration you would have a 85lb Labrador retriever who will sometimes be riding with you.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to recommend an Accord as well, and that one looks pretty good. I have an '06 Accord EX 4-cyl and it's been great. I get around 33MPG on the highway and average 23MPG overall. That one listed also has really low miles for an '05.

Honda's are great, can't knock em...but my preference is german cars, they have proven to be the most bulletproof and user friendly to work on yourself. I would normally suggest a VW Passat for that price range, but look around, you should be able to land a sweet Audi A4 in that price range...then you can have more bells and whistles and ride in style. My last A4 had somewhere around 240k on it when I sold it..still purred like a kitten, and with fully galvanized construction, there wasn't a single spot of rust...anywhere, and that's when I lived in Ohio with crappy winters.

Oh, and if it does snow where you live....get a Quattro AWD...best handling car you will ever experience in the snow.

There's no way he will find a used A4 that fits within his budget and mileage restrictions. They are obviously great cars, but in the $11k range you would be better served getting a newer Honda in my opinion. Not to mention the fact that 85lb Labs and leather seats are not a very good combination. My Jake (also an 85lb lab) doesn't mind cruisin in the back seat of my Accord :)

There's no way he will find a used A4 that fits within his budget and mileage restrictions. They are obviously great cars, but in the $11k range you would be better served getting a newer Honda in my opinion. Not to mention the fact that 85lb Labs and leather seats are not a very good combination. My Jake (also an 85lb lab) doesn't mind cruisin in the back seat of my Accord :)

Sure you can, just gotta look. I just did a quick search and found quite a few. One especially nice 04 with 40k for $9888.00. Might not find what you want around the corner, but if a road trip can be part of the adventure, then you can find whatever you want :)

I am taking my time, so I am sure I will get a decent deal on the car I decide to go with.... I really am open to anything, but right now I'm leaning toward a smaller SUV, specifically a Nissan Xterra, something like This

4 wheel drive for the snowboarding trips and driving in the winter back home, on the beach, etc... plenty of room and I can just throw my dog in the back. Taking your dog to go swimming and then letting him in your car is no fun at all. The only bad part is the gas mileage isn't that great.

I can't wait to get a new ride that I actually like, everything I have ever owned, I've pretty much got because I was on the spot, given to me or I just got a killer deal on. The next ride's getting hooked up, I'll probably install a mini-itx computer and put a touch screen in the dash.. Now I just got to take my time, figure out exactly what I want and then find the deal... So throw out some suggestions if you got any!

Edited by .fx

I really like tacoma's and frontiers killer, but I still have my 03 2WD Tacoma. It's pretty beat up now after the accident, but runs good enough around town. I don't want to take it on any trips though(like going home). That means I still have a truck for when i want to haul stuff. If I didn't have that, I would be buying a pickup for sure. One thing I've realized in life is that no man should ever be without a pickup...

Edited by .fx

One vehicle to do it all is ideal. A newer 4 door 4 wheel drive pick-up would be the best choice if I didn't have this little pickup. I wouldn't get any money at all for it now that it has been wrecked, I just can't justify selling. Heck maybe, I should still look into just getting a nice 4 wheel drive truck anyway.

I'd go with Toyota or even Subaru over Honda. Honda's do run for a long time, but they have pretty high maintenance costs when compared to Toyota.

For instance, on an Accord, you have to spend about $650 on a new timing belt (as a maintenance item) at around 100,000 miles--whereas, on a Toyota, you probably won't have to replace the timing belt, and if you do, it'll cost you more like $200 to replace.

Also, there are a few GM engines that will run forever: the 3.8L V6 that comes in Grand Prix's, Impala's, and what not. Also, the V6 version of the S10. Those things run FOREVER, and they're cheaper to maintain than Toyota, Honda, or any foreign auto. My wife drives an '04 Grand Prix with the 3.8 in it, and at 110,000 miles, it's been completely problem free. *knocks on wood*

Were it me, and I were buying foreign, I'd look for a Camry (yes, incredibly boring, but roomy and reliable). Otherwise, I'd most likely go find myself a Grand Prix with that 3.8L V6 in it. MotorTrend described that engine as "reliable as the sunrise."

Well, I'm pretty sure I'm set on a SUV, unless someone can convince me otherwise. A little sports car would be cool, but it's not very ideal for making 600 mile round trips with a girlfriend, luggage and a dog. Killer got me looking at trucks, but I already have a little beater truck.. I love trucks because of their usefulness, do I want a nicer truck even though I will still have my little beat up Tacoma? It only has 70k miles on it. The engine runs like it has 20k. But it looks and rides like it has 200k.

05 Titan

Damn you joe!

Edited by .fx

whereas, on a Toyota, you probably won't have to replace the timing belt, and if you do, it'll cost you more like $200 to replace.

ANY time belt needs replaced between 90,000 and 100,000 miles...this is a limitation of the belt, make and model is irrelevant....unless of course it has a chain instead of a belt, but those are few and far between.

I agree with Maverick, stay away from GM or any domestic really if you want to get a ton of miles without spending a ton on repairs. Nissans are great, the only thing that concerns me is keeping it for 200k miles because when things do break on a Nissan, the repairs tend to get pricey, I can tell you that from experience since I have written 1000's of repair estimates. What I can't tell you is how many Nissans on average make it to that high mark without needing repairs, I just simply haven't seen as many high milers as I have with other makes.

Xterra's are beautiful trucks, a buddy of mine from Ohio has one and loves it, i've seen it raised on the lift, the under carriage is built very stout, actually, overall it's built pretty well, nice to drive too.

ANY time belt needs replaced between 90,000 and 100,000 miles...this is a limitation of the belt, make and model is irrelevant....unless of course it has a chain instead of a belt, but those are few and far between.

I had the timing belt done for my Focus at 110k ... they said between 100k-120k it would go. Whatever you have fixed, don't skimp on labor. Was hard up for money this summer, so I had mine done @ Precision Tune. Had the dealership take a look at it this weekend cuz it was running rough. The new cams were out of alignment, timing was off, bolts were missing and/or loose. Bleah.

Yes, you should replace any timing belt around that mileage, but they're not as expensive as Honda's because Honda belts are proprietary and tie in to the engine differently than most other auto-makers. I forget what it's called, but if the timing belt goes out in a Honda, your engine will most likely receive some pretty hefty damage. I was talking to a guy who had to replace the whole engine in his Accord due to a blown timing belt.

Conversely, I've seen timing belts go out in other cars--and while it's not good for the engine, a $150 or so later, they were good to go.

I've seen some issues with Nissan's from the 2000 to 2004 era--a couple friends had them and they had a lot of problems (both were Altimas...which may just mean those model-years had issues), but I know people with Xterra's and Frontiers that love them and report no difficulty.

Stay away from Acura, Infinity, and Lexus (though I doubt you'd be looking at them anyway), they're a waste of money for what you're looking at.

Yes, you should replace any timing belt around that mileage, but they're not as expensive as Honda's because Honda belts are proprietary and tie in to the engine differently than most other auto-makers. I forget what it's called, but if the timing belt goes out in a Honda, your engine will most likely receive some pretty hefty damage. I was talking to a guy who had to replace the whole engine in his Accord due to a blown timing belt.

They call that an "interference" engine, basically, that means when the belt breaks and the cam/cams are no longer in time with the crank...the pistons can collide with an open valve...causing damage to one, both, or neither, depending on your luck. Most engines these days have this trait.

Clue, I agree with you on german cars. My 02 VR6 Jetta was badass. I wish they made a truck or some sort of smaller suv.

Talking about timing belts/chains. A few years back when I didn't own a truck. I took possession of an 85 Toyota. I replaced the chain myself. Needless to say, it died about 300 miles later.

Clue, I agree with you on german cars. My 02 VR6 Jetta was badass. I wish they made a truck or some sort of smaller suv.

Talking about timing belts/chains. A few years back when I didn't own a truck. I took possession of an 85 Toyota. I replaced the chain myself. Needless to say, it died about 300 miles later.

They do now...unfortunately, they are brand new, so it might be alot more than you wanna spend :(

In an attempt to make a long story short, I want to share with everyone what a dealership did to my 90 year old grandfather last week. My grandfather is going blind. He can't drive and he can't read. He can see some, but when we sit down to eat, he can't tell what type of food is in what dish on the table... so you get the drift..

He really wants to help me get a ride at least so I can come home. My plan was to come home this past weekend and we were going to look around at cars. I just wanted to spend time with him and get an idea of what I wanted buy in a month or two.. I can't get anything until my pending charges are dropped from my accident last month(every lawyer I've spoke to agrees they will be will be dropped), but I have to wait and see if it is going to cost me anymore. My grandfather didn't know about this charge because I don't want his help with it and I don't want him worrying about it.

Well he had my grandmother out driving him around and talking to dealerships. He went to the main local dealership(where he has bought at least 3 cars from). The salesman talked him into buying a 2004 suzuki forena. He wrote them a check for the car on the spot. He paid top dollar for the car according to any used auto guide and one would expect it to be in pristine condition. My grandfather was also under the impression it was in "like new" condition.

He told me about what he did and I immediately called the dealership and told them I couldn't take the car because of my legal troubles. So I went home last weekend, my father and I rode out to the dealership to try and get him his money back. I didn't even want to see the car, but we went out and looked. It had duct tape covering cuts in the center console, missing plastic in the doors with wires hanging out, burn holes in the seats, nicks all down the side of the car with a dented back fender, not to mention the smell was horrible and the interior was dirty. It only had 20k on the motor, but looked as if it had 100k. I seriously think someone had rolled the odometer back.

Noone had titled the car and it had no left the lot. I was trying to handle the situation myself and the GM pretty much told me that he couldn't refund my grandfather his money. Good thing I had my dad with me, when he heard that he pretty much came over and put him in his place. Taking advantage of an old man really set him off. My step mom had to take him outside. I was sitting by myself and the owner of the dealership came over and told me that just because my grandfather was 90 and didn't know what he was getting is not enough reason for him to give his money back and that he would not deal with us, that he had to deal with my grandfather, thinking that if they just had my grandfather by himself, they could bully him around and make him take it.

So I just got up and left. We went and got him and came back to the dealership, all of a total of about 15 minutes had passed. I think when the owner saw him having to hold onto my arm just to be able to walk, he realized he had better do the right thing. He said he didn't have to give us our money back and he was only doing so because my grandfather had done alot of business with them and because of my situation.. The sad part of this that it turned into a big ordeal when I had graduated high school and know the owners son pretty well. I had been to their house a few times when I was younger, went snowboarding a few times and played soccer with him. The owners son is in charge of 2 of the 4 lots now and is also my grandfathers next door neighbor.....

Edited by .fx

That's horrible, but i'm glad you were able to get his money back...partly because you don't want anything to do with that car, lol. Car dealerships are vultures....they don't care about anything but selling cars, mostly because of the way salesman are paid...anytime you pay someone on commision, you can expect them to not be working for your interest. I worked with a guy, a slimeball actually, and he used to be in finance at the dealerships, very unethical guy, he has told me stories about what they used to do to people. One time, a lady had a heart attack and died in his office in the middle of a deal, he got in trouble from his boss for not getting the contract signed before she died...amazing.

They are slimeballs and very unethical. I am from a very small town, about 2,000 people, so it's a pretty close community. You would think given all the circumstances they would have gone pretty much easy with us, but they put up a fight.

If they weren't going to give him his money, we were going to go straight to the bank and stop payment on the check. If they wanted to take it any farther, the local known attorney has known my family since he was born.

I don't put up with any salesman crap, I totally dismiss them and go by my own research. I am willing to spend a little more for their costs and because I understand they have a business to run, but I will never give in to that high pressure, monthly payment crap...