getting a new ride

NOFX

Ok back to looking at cars...

Here's another idea. With everyone's help and my own, I'm looking to spend up to 11k on something I want. If I don't get what I want, why even spend that much? I might as well spend 5-6k and find something that runs great and will last. In fact the more I think about it, this seems like the way to go. Going this route, I will not end up with what I want, but I will have what I need, plus I will have plenty to to do something else with. I could save it, but I would probably use it for travel. I could get an 8 year old civic and go backpacking in south america, then go to europe and still have plenty of money left over. decisions, decisions.... good thing I got time on my side.

Edited by .fx

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote for spending what you need. That said, when searching I found used Honda's (and anything reliable really) to be expensive. If you find one thats cheap, its probably too good to be true. I found quite a few that were not insurable, because they had already been totalled.

if you keep looking and take your time, you will come across a deal, but you have to be willing to jump on it right then and there.

Two years ago I bought a 6 year old honda civic with 70k miles for 5k. It had been rear ended, but fully repaired. Repaired body damage is OK with me, it doesn't make one bit of difference with mechanical issues. I should have kept this car, but I had two vehicles and needed my truck. 35mpg on the high was nice. I ended up selling it for about 6k. So if you take your time, you will find deals.

EDIT*

There is also the possibility I can meet myself in the middle somewhere. Find a good deal on an xterra(what I want) with possibly more miles, 50-60k~ in the 7-9k range.

Edited by .fx

EDIT*

There is also the possibility I can meet myself in the middle somewhere. Find a good deal on an xterra(what I want) with possibly more miles, 50-60k~ in the 7-9k range.

This sure sounds like the place you ought to be looking, considering your previous statements. It would certainly have all the utility you need and from what I have read they hold up pretty well.

**side note**

Those creeps that tried to screw your grandpa out of his money ought to be drawn and quartered, 17th century style. That is terrible and the worst possible way to do business.

Well, I'm pretty sure I'm set on a SUV, unless someone can convince me otherwise. A little sports car would be cool, but it's not very ideal for making 600 mile round trips with a girlfriend, luggage and a dog.

Killer got me looking at trucks, but I already have a little beater truck.. I love trucks because of their usefulness, do I want a nicer truck even though I will still have my little beat up Tacoma?

It only has 70k miles on it. The engine runs like it has 20k. But it looks and rides like it has 200k.

Damn you joe!

bwhahahaha ! :)

SUV/4x4's are the only way to go, atleast imo. I've had so many cars and they just never have the room or utility i need. Let alone being able to drive over a curb and not get a flat tire or bent rim.. lol. The Xterra or an SUV is prob the way to go since you have a little pickup that you can't justify selling.

I got a 4x4 F150 yesterday for dirt cheap, people are selling SUV's and pickups for waaay below KBB right now, it's def a good time to be in the market for a utility type vehicle. Just take your time and wait for the right deal to come along. I've been waiting about 4 months, looking in add's, newspapers, craigslist, etc every day and found the perfect deal and jumped on it the same day. Time is great, when it's on your side. A lot of people are hard up right now, so buy your time and you will find what your looking for. No need to spend 11k when you can get a great vehicle for 6-7k, maybe less just depends on what you come across.

Im so glad to hear you guys got you grandpop his money back, that is shady... I would have been fired up too...

One thing about timing belts.. i hate interference motors, never again will i own one. The last car i had was an Eagle Talon and i snapped a timing belt on it. It had less then 40k on the belt too. Needless to say, the motor self destructed in a matter of seconds. Cost me a little over a grand for a new motor, so i was glad to get rid of that car when i did.

Edited by All Kill3r

wow... I don't think Im going to do it, but I just found a 2001 Xterra with only 966 miles on it. It has front end damage that is exactly how my toyota looked. It's creepy how similiar the two are. Actually the core support on my toyota was mashed in quite a bit more than this xterra and I was able to pull it out, mount a new fender and mount new lights.

He is selling this thing wth all the parts, except for the hood and the grille and a few other small peices of trim here and there. He is only a few miles from me and I'm sure I could pick this thing up for about 4k.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...6&viewitem=

If I knew I could get this thing back to good myself I would jump all over it. Heck it would still probably only cost me a couple of thousand to get someone to fix what I couldn't do myself. the main thing that would cost me is having a new hood($175) and the fender that comes with it painted.

EDIT* Yea I'm def not doing it, but If I were knew how to repair damage well, it would be a good deal.

Edited by .fx

wow... I don't think Im going to do it, but I just found a 2001 Xterra with only 966 miles on it. It has front end damage that is exactly how my toyota looked. It's creepy how similiar the two are. Actually the core support on my toyota was mashed in quite a bit more than this xterra and I was able to pull it out, mount a new fender and mount new lights.

He is selling this thing wth all the parts, except for the hood and the grille and a few other small peices of trim here and there. He is only a few miles from me and I'm sure I could pick this thing up for about 4k.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...6&viewitem=

If I knew I could get this thing back to good myself I would jump all over it. Heck it would still probably only cost me a couple of thousand to get someone to fix what I couldn't do myself. the main thing that would cost me is having a new hood($175) and the fender that comes with it painted.

EDIT* Yea I'm def not doing it, but If I were knew how to repair damage well, it would be a good deal.

I wonder if you could get an estimate for the repairs for it? For such low mileage it would be a great pickup if the repair costs weren't going to be through the roof. Only downside is 2WD though, so that may be another deal breaker.

yea the 2WD did give me the extra lean toward not even going to look at it. If it was 4WD it would have probably pushed me a little more to be interested.

I've been here before, All I got to remember is that if I just take my time, I will find the deal... I know I shouldn't get anything until next month, but if I come across a deal I can't turn down, I will go ahead and get it.

Edited by .fx

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks...1318#ht_500wt_0

What do you think? 02 w/ 86k miles. It looks to be in pretty good condition. Could probably pick up for 7k if noone bids. I'm kinda weary about 86k miles and that it is now 6-7 years old. I don't believe this is one to jump onto.. I bid 2k just for the heck of it. Whats the most you would bid on this?

Edited by .fx

eh, not that great of deal.. Here's one listed for $500 more and only has 38k miles

02 Xterra 38k miles - $7900

I may go take a look at the one above this weekend if he still has it.

Manual transmission ftw!

Jake probably wouldn't mind being seen in that one. I'm betting that it's being offered at a good (reduced) price due to the 5-speed. That tends to make a lot of buyers shy away. Really separates the men from the boys though :D

Mazda 3... Most underrated compact car in the market. Most car magazines rate it very high but most people don't know they even exist or brush it off.

I recommend the hatchback model to pack your stuff, plus it looks very cool. Your dog will probably appreciate the folding back seat to make room for him, too.

This one has high miles, but I posted it so you can get an idea of what it's about. Mazda 3 hatch

Unless you really need an SUV or truck for specific purpose, I would stay clear of it due to fuel cost in the long run. If you ski 20 times a year (I'm guessing that's a lot), that's only 20 days out of the year... Getting a gas pig for 20 days out of the year is a waste. I shouldn't be talking because I drive a 11mpg Yukon Denali, but I'm old enough and can spend what ever I want! :rolly: Do as I say, not as I do.

Even though the smaller SUV and tucks seem to give decent mpg, it's still about 25~40% less than most compact cars. That's a lot of money down the road. When you're forty-ish then you can spend more, but for now, you should save.

Edited by shoot

eh, not that great of deal.. Here's one listed for $500 more and only has 38k miles

02 Xterra 38k miles - $7900

I may go take a look at the one above this weekend if he still has it.

Manual transmission ftw!

Jake probably wouldn't mind being seen in that one. I'm betting that it's being offered at a good (reduced) price due to the 5-speed. That tends to make a lot of buyers shy away. Really separates the men from the boys though :D

agreedx10.. i used to have a 4runner that was stick.

I'll take a 5 speed over an auto any day... Even though I drive in traffic, it something I don't even notice or think about.

That one also has all the bells and whistles, it may even have the super charged engine, but they just didn't know it. From what I've read all the options that come with that one are the ones standard on the SE /w SC.

Your right shoot, I would save quite a bit in gas and i will even argue that if you know how to drive and the snow isn't deep, a front wheel drive car can easily make it in alot of snow situations. You just don't want a rear wheel drive pickup with no weight over the back tires...

Mazda 3

Thats pimp and I really wouldn't mind having it, but

leather seats + dog != kosher

Regardless of car you choose or seat material, you definitely want to get one of these... Not necessarily this brand, but a rear seat cover.

Cover

I totally agree with you about driving in the snow. A good driver can get you pretty much anywhere a 4x4 will go in snow with a regular front or rear wheel drive with proper traction. Also, some people don't realize that drive train configuration has nothing to do with how quickly it will stop. Some people actually think they can stop faster with a 4x4. :lol2:

Edited by shoot

I won't disagree that a good driver can drive a car in the snow... but go anywhere a 4x4 can ? PFFFFT !!!! :)

Ill take my old Chevy with lift, super swamper tires over a Honda Civic in the snow any day of the week, and pull you outta the ditch too. I don't have to wait for snow to be plowed with my trukz. I can either plow it my darn self, or drive over it when a car can't. Never seen a car with metal studded tires either, which my plow truck has. It eats right through the ice for great traction. Though i carry a few hundred pounds of salt in the bed, that might play into it. But seiously aside from some of the AWD Subarus, there isn't a car that is going to keep up with a 4x4 with a foot of snow on the roads.

Last winter i pulled so many cars outta ditches for 10 bux a pop it was crazy. With 3 4x4 trucks i don't believe even a well driven car can compete with a 4x4, that has a little weight in the bed. Like i said 1 of my trucks has a Meyer plow so counter the weight i weigh the rear down with salt bags, and it is pretty much unstoppable in the snow combined with winter metal stud tires.

My girlfriend has a 05 AWD impreza.. I've never driven it in the snow, but i assume it would do fairly well. AWD is also different than 4WD. And yes, a 4x4 in some deep stuff a car can not compare to. snow covered highway is fine. Unplowed gravel road.. ???

So if this xterra only has the regular V6 non supercharged engine. It only has 174 HP pushing a 4100 lbs vehicle around. This seems awful weak to me for a V6 truck. What do you think? Also, can anyone tell me why the automatic version of the xterra is rated to pull 5,000 lbs while the 5 speed can only pull 3500??

Edited by .fx

clue, have you ever driven a suby? hands down best winter vehicles, imo.

Sure have, they are great too...I am just partial to my old Audi, probably because I didn't have the seat time in a Subaru that I did in my A4, in reality, they are probably close, but the Subaru is no better, I can tell you that much...Audi has been doing AWD for a long time, I think they were actually the first to do it mainstream back in the late 70's, early 80's.

well.. I have decided to wait a while and not rush to get anything. I really don't NEED anything so the money is going into my bank account. I'll keep an eye out for a killer deal on something and jump on it...

well.. I'm just sitting back waiting for a decent deal to arise..

I came across this http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/925675926.html

It isn't 4 wheel drive. But a truck with only 40k miles, extended cab auto for only $5800 isn't a bad deal. Something I don't think I want to jump on though. But I think it is hard to find an extended cab truck with that low of miles for under 6k...

It has also crossed my mind to just pick this up and sell my truck now for about 2k..

That way I'm basically getting a new ride and still having a pickup for only 4k. Since I have about 8k to spend. That means I could have 4k to put in the bank, re-do my entire kitchen(so the townhouse will sell) or just buy hookers..

Edited by .fx