Computer Shutting OFF when starting CS

DNA

So I can do basically everything normal on my computer, but when I start CS it goes to the screen where it says it is getting information from server, and maybe to the main screen and then it just shuts OFF.

So I have done a system check and everything seems okay, checked the HD's, and still need to check the RAM, but I have a sneaking fealing that it is the power supply.??

Can anyone give me a little thought on this, had the same issue, etc.... Thanks

Overclocking anything? If yes, set everything to stock. Check temps of cpu motherboard and video card. Swap out memory if you have more then 1 stick. Install anything new, especially drivers? If all of that fails, if you have an extra PSU try swapping it out with a different one, if it still fails, you have a faulty part of some sort (probably RAM, but it could be anything).

before swapping out parts try uninstalling re-installing steam. Then make sure your video drivers are the newest ones, then make sure your windows and directx stuff is all up to date. Then download and flash the bios if it is not up to date.

If it still does it then you are looking for a RAM/Video/power supply issue so eliminate them one at a time.

Edited by Preacher

Yes i was gonna agree with ZD. Since CS is prolly the most CPU burdening program you do, when it starts up the processor heats up trying to process, and then reaches its limit set in your bios and shuts down to prevent hardware damage. This happened to me once with this new build, but because of my own dumb fault for having the heatsink not on it completely. Only mine happened after about an hour of playing.

You try dousing it with Holy Water yet while it's running?

My question was are you overclocking, but that's already been asked. I'd try to run a temp log too using coretemp or something when you start up the program. And again already mentioned, reinstall steam?

i get a problem similar to this now... i log into GC's server i play for about 2 or so rounds then my whole computer reboots. tried playing a good 6 or so times. any ideas? this the same thing?

DNA, does this happen on any other games? If not, I'd say remove and reinstall Steam. If it does, then it's probably a heat issue. I was having a heat issue (primarily with Portal but also with other games) and used SpeedFan and Everest to monitor the temps to figure it out. Luckily, I had a Logitech G15 keyboard (one with the LCD screen) and one of the apps I used could display the temps the the screen.

DNA
DNA, does this happen on any other games? If not, I'd say remove and reinstall Steam. If it does, then it's probably a heat issue. I was having a heat issue (primarily with Portal but also with other games) and used SpeedFan and Everest to monitor the temps to figure it out. Luckily, I had a Logitech G15 keyboard (one with the LCD screen) and one of the apps I used could display the temps the the screen.

Ya I have been trying to recreate it in other apps, and I DL'd 3DMark to run tonight to see if I can get it to fail, but it does not seem to fail on any other app; i even tryed the windows rating system test and all good. So I will try the 3DMark tonight and then go to the uninstall/install steam route..man that takes for ever.. :(

DNA

Okay so I ran memtest with 0 errors, and then ran 3DMark06 and it did not fail/shut off.....so i uninstalled steam and then reinstalled it and then CS, and I go to run it and still when connection to the server my computer just turns off....Hmmmmm So I also updated the graphic drives and still the same issue...onto the BIOS and the chipset, but i am running out of ideas. I would have thought that if the PS was bad that the 3DMark would have cause it to fail when the load was put on it....

Did you monitor the cpu and gpu temps during the tests?

Ya I did and all were good (CPU=44, and GPU=72). I thougth everything was good when I did the Bios update because it worked right after that, and I played for a couple of hours, but the next day the same things again.

Well, on my old computer, i had a problem where every time i tried to play, CS would simply close but not shut down the computer all the way. I found out that something was botched in my graphics card, connection, something. It was only happening when i tried playing with high graphics, and was completely fixed when i had everything set on low. Don;t ask me how or why, but when i played high graphics = game crash, low graphics = perfect. I know the computer didn't restart, but hey its similar isn't it? lol

Well, on my old computer, i had a problem where every time i tried to play, CS would simply close but not shut down the computer all the way. I found out that something was botched in my graphics card, connection, something. It was only happening when i tried playing with high graphics, and was completely fixed when i had everything set on low. Don;t ask me how or why, but when i played high graphics = game crash, low graphics = perfect. I know the computer didn't restart, but hey its similar isn't it? lol

So Sam I think u may have it...I opened my case and dusted it out and the video card was really hot, so I ran the stress test from source on lower settings and got it to fail (shut down), so i DL'd riva tuner and set the fan to 100% and checked speedfan and before the fan setting change the gpu was showing like 64-66 and hot(flame pic) so i ran the stress test again and it did not fail, so i turned up the settings and ran it and it still did not fail. I checked the temps after this and the temp was like 71. Now i have a 8800gts, is this hot, i mean ya it was only for a few minutes but it seems to be hot. I can imagine what it is when being on all day and they loading up and playing source may have really been pushing it. Anything I can do to get it cooled down?? Is this card known to be hot, should i get a new card, or maybe an after market cooler for it. I have two case fans and a artic freeze on the cpu plus the PW fan, and my CPU temps and MB temps are all good...

Any suggestions??

For now i set it to keep the fan at 100% all the time.....

If the money is within your budget a new card would be the way to go. I would suggest the ATI 4870. I am very pleased with this card myself.

The 4870 might be out of the way right now, what about a 4850, worth the upgrade?

Well, a new card might be in order. How well is the cooling through your case? You might need better airflow through the case along the card. You aren't overclocking are you? Make sure all dust is out of it, and if you wanna save money for now, just increase the fan speed to 100% when doing something graphic intensive, either manually set it or use a program that does it when u load CS. Currently i have a gtx260, it sits idle at 51C with fan at 40% with a very slight overclock and when i play im pretty sure it doesnt get over like 60C with fan still at 40%. The old card i was talking about that had the problem was a geforce 6800gs. Never could figure out why it did it exactly.

Oh and since i was curious, i found that 71 degrees celsius is 160 degrees farenheit. That card is hot enough to burn you practically. My CPU got that hot when i had the heatsink not on right and the computer shut itself off.

Edited by samurai nightling

Ya my cpu temps are good, i am thinking the card change in temp might be because I am using a 24" monitor so more to drive perhaps? It seems to have good airflow (fron case fan exit case fan with freezer cooler blow out the exit, house is about 70F...so ???

OKay so I am going to say that after a lot of testing this and that and everything that it is caused by a heat issue with my video card. It seems that if I try and run CS when it is 69+ it will fail and shut off the computer. When I start the game when it is in the low 60's everything works out fine.

Would it be worth while looking into getting a different cooler to install on the video card or is it not worth it.

?? Would running the card on a much larger monitor cause the card to work harder and generate more heat??

running on the larger monitor will cause it to work harder if you are running it on higher resolutions (which would be normal)

An aftermarket cooler may help but may not. It could simply be a problem with the card. Personally I'ld get a new one and ebay the old one. Good Luck