Hi-Res Texture Pack

anonymo

The game as it is now is fairly demanding on my system and I have the best video card you can buy right now. I cannot imagine doing with these even higher res packs.

What card are you running? Runs pretty good on my 8800gt but I'm running at High and not Ultra settings. I have a Geforce 260 on order, just in time it looks.

4870 x2 but I am playing at 1680 x 1050 which is not the recommended resolution that the game set for me.

I am stil trying to figure out why I spent so much time killing raiders in the old abandoned school.

You should be getting wicked frames with that card shouldn't you?

As far as the raiders go, killing is fun!

4870 x2 but I am playing at 1680 x 1050 which is not the recommended resolution that the game set for me.

That doesn't seem right at all. A friend of mine is running a Geforce GTX 260 and claims to run fine with max settings at 1920x1200...wait doesn't the 4870x2 have 2gb of DDR5?

I am stil trying to figure out why I spent so much time killing raiders in the old abandoned school.

I love just exploring and crushing any opposition with my plasma rifle/pistol. I cleared out an abandoned National Guard Depot the other day - all kinds of good stuff! :D

• 2 weeks later...

That doesn't seem right at all. A friend of mine is running a Geforce GTX 260 and claims to run fine with max settings at 1920x1200...wait doesn't the 4870x2 have 2gb of DDR5?

I think maybe his card is way too much for that resolution he's running. Probably his processor is the bottleneck. I will try this texture pack after I beat game. That is what I did with oblivion...and that texture pack upgrade did drop my fps by about 20%.

Got new vids for Christmas!...MSI GTX 260

My 8800GT would do the texture pack with a small hit like what Tek said at 1280x960, 50-60 fps, high setting with no AA. The GTX 260 rocks the house at 1600x1200, Ultra setting (w/4x AA and 15x anio) HD texture pack and still hitting 60s. Incredible card for just $185 shipped.

fallout3hd.jpg

• 4 months later...

GREAT MODS TO TRY:

I am very very happy with the packs I finally decided on. It totally enhances the game, doesn't make any major changes to its atmosphere, and runs great on my old

AMD Opty @2.8, 2 gigs ram, 8800gt

I finally decided on:

Green Green grass of home (Green version..it unzips to your choice of Green version or Wasteland version). http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1214

HighResolutionRocks (2048 version) http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=866

Rivet City (default Res) http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3612

Fallout3High Defintiion pack (v1.00). This also makes the pipboy map awesome. http://www.gamershell.com/news_65974.html

I used ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.exe to make it all work. (Program Version). http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=944

Simple to do. Just make sure everything goes into the Fallout3 directory's data folder (there should NOT be another "data" folder inside of the original Data folder when you are done...I did that by accident somewhere along all the trials..didnt work well.

Then each time you add a mod, run the invalidation tool, deactivate, then re-run and reactivate.

NOTE: Make SURE you backup your original Data folder somewhere first! :P

Don't forget to load the data files and loose file at game startup.

Adds color, clears up the skies some without destroying the nights (like Fellout does). Much better rocks and terrain. Better clothing, guns, etc. Better lighting and sun-rays also. Improves text menus and pipboy's item menus.

These mods include some other versions of mods already. After much try/reject many of the other mods just really dont look that great in-game, or have side effects.

For example, Fellout makes the daytime GREAT, but completely blacks out the nights (even the wimpy 'brighter' version) and turns of the pipboys light to compensate. It was awful. Or some mods jsut make things a little off-color-pallete, that kind of thing.

I plays fine on my older rig at 1920 x 1080. I had to turn down a couple distance sliders, but that was all.

Thats a good price on that 260. My son went with the DVI to HDMI adapter to his Vizio TV. Settings at full on everything and 1080p --- AMAZING!!! He doesn't need the HD pack The clarity of everything he plays in that mode is fantastic. He's running the GTX285 1 gig. It was a bit more than $185 though.

• 4 months later...

For example, Fellout makes the daytime GREAT, but completely blacks out the nights (even the wimpy 'brighter' version) and turns of the pipboys light to compensate. It was awful. Or some mods jsut make things a little off-color-pallete, that kind of thing.

I tried Fellout the other day and didn't care for the daytime. The water is just too blue, even if it's only a foot deep. Nighttime is more realistic and scary as you can't see much at 1am in the morning (which normally you shouldn't), a Yao guais will be on top of you before you know it and make ya jump out of your seat. Due to the daytime effects, I uninstalled.

Bethesda made nighttime so bright, just to make the game more playable. But really, it's like there are always 2 full moons out or something.