the thread formerly known as "Happy Easter"

samurai nightling

• 1 month later...

stutters.. is that a sv650 or sv650s? I'm thinking about picking one up. I like the 650 better than the sports version. There is some guy selling a 650s local. 2003 with 7k miles for $3000.

As far as I know fx, the only difference between the 650 and 650s is the front fairing and wind screen or lack thereof. The S model has them, the 650 is a "naked" bike. If you like that look, check out the 650

(which is a great bike from everything I have ever heard), the Yamaha FZ6, Triumph Street Triple ( or bigger brother, the Speed Triple), or the Kawasaki Er-6 or z1000.

At any rate, see if you can find a 650 forum. I bet you can find ways to change the appearance of that S to the regular old 650 with little to no effort. May just be removing the plastics up front. Good luck getting a new bike... I try to keep my dream of a new one :spin2:

yea that's what I've read Gen. I really digg the naked look. How comfortable is that 650 stutters? My guess is much more comfy than a gsxr. My zx6-r was one of the most uncomfortable bikes I've ridden. It was made for laying down on and going 100mph. The reason I'm looking at sv650's is because of the v-twin engine. I like the idea of having some torque throughout all the rpms..

I've got about 3k to burn on a bike. I've been keeping my eye on craiglist everyday for the past couple weeks. And this deal just popped up

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/mcy/1197964654.html I called him, It has 8k miles. The dude dropped it, so it has a cracked front fairing, broken mirror and needs a new battery.

And I've also came across http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-Suzuki...%3A1|240%3A1318

i went and looked at the 2006 sv650s. He said he would take $2500 for it. Needs a new battery and the cowl around the headlights is cracked pretty bad.. It also needs a new mirror. 8k miles on it. What do you think deal? or keep looking?

god, that fairing is ugly on the 06 :D.

personally, i'd grab that '00, pull it apart, murder it out with some flat black, and put it back together. i'm admittedly biased towards the 1st gen (00-04) body styles.

mine is a dropped 00 that i snagged for $1.3k ("steal.") if you're thinking about the dropped 06, be sure to check around the oil filter, check the air filter, check the swingarm for any oil residue. get it on the highway and push it, make sure nothing starts to push out. if you're going to strip that thing naked, the headlights are going to get replaced.

00 or 06, it's typically a good idea to get a new battery on purchase (wink wink: this one). and if you're looking for tires, can't go wrong with these (mine) or these (friends). i put on about 25 highway miles/day, and they're holding up way better than my metzler z6's did. the pilot power 2's are a lot softer in the middle, and tend to go flat quicker. i got the road's over the road's over the power's because i'm an everyday commuter, and i like the wet traction on the road's better.

i might not be the right guy to ask about comfort -- i like riding 100mph and leaning the thing. i did take my sv from minneapolis through wisconsin, the upper peninsula of michigan, and back up through chicago and madison over. about 1.2k miles, not too bad, but not as comfortable as my buddy's zx-10r. he said he couldn't imagine doing it without a wind screen, but then again, he rides a cute little red kawasaki.

oh, and grab a vance and hines pipe to make it sound like it should, and spend some time around svrider.

lol... well, to be honest it came down to what I could find for the $. I've got a feeling my main vehicle is going to have some major problems and I might NEED a way to get to work and back. So this gave me an excuse. If I didn't think I wouldn't be able to sell it at the end of the summer for $2500, I wouldn't have bought it either.

• 1 month later...