Hello, real world!

dragonfly

So I finished my degree in math with a minor in computer science at Lakehead University last year. That's in Thunder Bay, just to the left of the peak of Lake Superior for those of you too lazy for google maps :)

Anyway, this year I've been doing teacher's college (also at LU) and tomorrow is my last day of placement!!! I've been teaching grades 10 and 11 computer science (VB and Turing) as well as a grade 9 applied math. I'm gonna miss it, but I'm just super excited to be done school and start to pay off student loans as fast as possible. :luxhello:

Thought I'd share. I have a couple of leads on jobs that look promising in Rainy River (also in ON) or Emo (also in ON). I was offered a job on Baffin Island, but that's a tad bit isolated even for me. :D I know most of you are all old :halo: and have been out of school for a long time but I'm super excited to be done and start to see my free time disappear :D

Edited by dragonfly

Thanks guys!!! Although I technically finished today I'm going back tomorrow to mark. I wanted to give my Turing class one more day to work on their game (moonlander).

anonymo, teaching is going to be so much busier than being in school taking classes. I'm going to get into coaching vball (if I can), etc. Not that I'm specifically excited to lose free time, but I'm excited to get involved in real-life stuff, not just theoretical modelling of bound or unbound drum heads using partial differential equations. :D

Oh yeah on the time issue, I had soooo much more free time once I started working. While at college I had classes, homework, exams, plus a 25-30 hr week part time job. Probably spent 35 hrs a week between classes and study, then 25-30 working... so like 60-65 hrs of responsibility a week instead of 40. Much less free time then.

So for a grad present, a bunch of friends/family pitched in and I get to go parachuting!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

...if all my family and friends ever pitched in and took me parachuting I wouldn't be able to check the backpack enough times to make me feel comfortable about it :biglaugha:

So I finished my degree in math with a minor in computer science at Lakehead University last year. That's in Thunder Bay, just to the left of the peak of Lake Superior for those of you too lazy for google maps :)

Anyway, this year I've been doing teacher's college (also at LU) and tomorrow is my last day of placement!!! I've been teaching grades 10 and 11 computer science (VB and Turing) as well as a grade 9 applied math. I'm gonna miss it, but I'm just super excited to be done school and start to pay off student loans as fast as possible. :luxhello:

Thought I'd share. I have a couple of leads on jobs that look promising in Rainy River (also in ON) or Emo (also in ON). I was offered a job on Baffin Island, but that's a tad bit isolated even for me. :D I know most of you are all old :halo: and have been out of school for a long time but I'm super excited to be done and start to see my free time disappear :D

Congrats man!!!

And why am I not surprised to find out that there's a place in Canadia called "Emo"?

:P The town's not actually as Emo as I expected. :D

I drove to Rainy River yesterday (left at 6:00 AM, got home at 3:20 AM - LONG day) and had an interview. If I'm successful I start on Tuesday with them. Not a lot of time to pack up my life and move and find a place to live. We'll see what God has planned. Either way it was a great experience. I loved the school in Rainy, the staff were friendly and welcoming, and I loved the small-town feel (not redneck, but laid back and relaxed). I find out today or tomorrow at the latest if I get the job :D

Update: for those interested...

I am 99.9% offered the job. They have to check in with HR in the board to make sure they can hire an unqualified teacher, but they really want me. :) I'm going to be relocating on Saturday or Sunday it looks like! :D

Thanks guys. I'm excited and nervous. Lots of responsibility taking over 3 classes (especially at the end of the year. I have to get them ready for exams!) I feel very blessed to 99.9% have this job. lol

I'll have to post a pic sometime anonymo... would that suffice? Technically my bangs are longer than the back because it all comes to about the same length. :P