Looking for a HD

I've been searching newegg for a hard drive and there seems to be something wrong with every one. Either they arrive DOA or they don't run fast.

Do you guys have any suggestions for an internal SATA 1.5TB hard drive? I'm not going to RAID, just use this as a slave for file storage.

Did you even look?

Either they arrive DOA...

This is the hard drive that everybody is saying thats DOA.

I just noticed that it's only 5400RPM, never mind. Most of the people getting DOAs are describing problems that are clearly not a DOA product, leading me to believe they aren't aware what DOA stands for.

Did you even look?

Either they arrive DOA...

This is the hard drive that everybody is saying thats DOA.

I just noticed that it's only 5400RPM, never mind. Most of the people getting DOAs are describing problems that are clearly not a DOA product, leading me to believe they aren't aware what DOA stands for.

haha one guy said that his is defective because its running slow! I might just get two 1GB drives and RAID them together.

I really wouldn't recommend getting the 1.5 TB drive just yet. When the 1 TB drives came out, they had a slew of complaints...they're finally starting to settle, so I'd go with the 1TB drive instead.

Specifically, I'd buy this one: Seagate 1 TB

Only $99, AND it's of the brand new line, which has made some improvements on performance/reliability.

If you HAVE to buy the 1.5 TB drive, I'd buy this one: Also a Seagate

Again, the reason I always go with Seagates (all I used to buy were WD) now-a-days is that they seem to hold up the best. My brother uses a 16.5 TB work-station at his lab, and they're all Seagates, because the WD and Maxtors they used to have in their office kept crapping out. The switched to Seagates about a year ago and haven't had a SINGLE failure since. That's huge, considering there are probably around 300 active hard drives active there every day.

Also, in their lab tests, the hardest HDDs to destroy were, by far, the Seagates.

I really wouldn't recommend getting the 1.5 TB drive just yet. When the 1 TB drives came out, they had a slew of complaints...they're finally starting to settle, so I'd go with the 1TB drive instead.

Specifically, I'd buy this one: Seagate 1 TB

Only $99, AND it's of the brand new line, which has made some improvements on performance/reliability.

If you HAVE to buy the 1.5 TB drive, I'd buy this one: Also a Seagate

Again, the reason I always go with Seagates (all I used to buy were WD) now-a-days is that they seem to hold up the best. My brother uses a 16.5 TB work-station at his lab, and they're all Seagates, because the WD and Maxtors they used to have in their office kept crapping out. The switched to Seagates about a year ago and haven't had a SINGLE failure since. That's huge, considering there are probably around 300 active hard drives active there every day.

Also, in their lab tests, the hardest HDDs to destroy were, by far, the Seagates.

Thanks. I'm looking into that new seagate now.

AFIK, the Seagate Barracuda 1 TB is the fastest for its size...There have been multiple issues with the 1.5 TB BArracuda's firmware and performance. If you are using as main drive, then I would concentrate on capacity and speed.

This is coming from a lifelong WD fan. I've owned 9 WD drives, all of which are still in service. The 2 TB green from WD is a good drive, but it costs a crap load of $$$ and it is slow. I would go 1 TB Seagate, or a 300GB velociraptor for OS drive and a 640 gb WD, or a couple of 500 gb in raid 0.

I have the 1.5tb seagate and have had no issues at all for six months. I also have 2 500gb drives one WD and one Maxtor. The only bad hard drives I have ever had were hitachi and I've had 3 of them go south.