Firefox 3.5 officially released

So far, so good. I am liking it, especially the private browsing mode and the speed increases. For the first time in the history of Firefox, they are playing catchup to features that IE and Safari already have. Firefox still has the best plugin/addon support though which makes it the all around winner in my book.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgra...from=getfirefox

safari4 > ff3.5 > ie*

The speed between Safari 4 and FF 3.5 are almost identical with Safari 4 with an unnoticeable edge over FF (the average user cannot tell the different between hundredths of a second)

with that said, FF wins in extensions and addons like NoScript and Adblock Plus and GreaseMonkey.

FF wins in extensions and addons like NoScript and Adblock Plus and GreaseMonkey.

The average user doesn't know anything about extensions or add-ons. They use it out of the box.

That said, I prefer FireFox. My only complaint is that Adobe plugins swallow the shortcut for "new tab".

you guys are crazy. there is no comparison between application launch times for safari and firefox.

rendering time? marginal at best, and dependent on so many variables it's not worth measuring or getting worked up (save for ie6).

you guys are crazy. there is no comparison between application launch times for safari and firefox.

rendering time? marginal at best, and dependent on so many variables it's not worth measuring or getting worked up (save for ie6).

Once you open FireFox which may take 2-3 seconds longer than Safari, you tend to keep it open all day and at that point, startup time doesn't matter. What matters is features and performance. The only OS I would even consider using Safari on is Mac OS, I wouldn't touch it with a 100 foot pole on Windows.

Launch times? Who really cares, I open Firefox once in the morning and it stays open all day. OK, safari wins 1 thing, firefox everything else. :prplwacko:

I tried safari a while back and went back to Firefox at the end of the day. One word. Add-ons.

no, you just haven't noticed it :D

taskmgr that firefox.exe throughout the day. you'll see, it's a real treat!

Its at 67mb right now and been running all day. Thank goodness I have 4gigs of ram. :prplwacko:

Also high on my list, yahoo messenger at a whopping 18mb. That's like 13 floppies!

Wait a minute, is there a 64bit Firefox?

no, you just haven't noticed it :D

taskmgr that firefox.exe throughout the day. you'll see, it's a real treat!

Its at 67mb right now and been running all day. Thank goodness I have 4gigs of ram. :prplwacko:

Also high on my list, yahoo messenger at a whopping 18mb. That's like 13 floppies!

Wait a minute, is there a 64bit Firefox?

http://www.start64.com/index.php?option=co...5&Itemid=75

It's called Minefield. I haven't used it yet though, so I dunno anything about it. :unsure:

I have to agree with ZeroDamage though. Firefox 3.5 does open up faster than the previous version(s) of Firefox I was using. :boing:

I question the motives of anyone willing to blindly accept the most obnoxious software trio in computing history, that of Safari/iTunes/QT.

I've never used itunes so I can't verify anything but why is QT still around, it's so 90's. Or maybe that's just the last time I was forced to use it. :prplwacko:

3.5 seems to move much faster and smoother than 3.0.X that I was using before seeing this post.

Ever since discovering FF, I haven't used anything else. IE is very buggy for me with Vista 64. Google Chrome seems to be alright, but for some reason I lose my wireless connection with my router after using it for a while. Reset router and everything is good to go again. But that's too much hassle.

My in-laws are mac lovers :twitch: and they have even dumped safari in favor of FF. Safari was closing out with no warning or reason after a short time of use. No such problem with FF.

When I installed Win7 last week I installed 3.5 too. FF does seem noticeably but I dunno if it's FF or Win7. Win7 seems faster then XP now, Steam loads up in mere seconds, even on my temporary Seagate 320gb IDE HDD. (my WD 500gb failed, I'm wondering if the 320 is a better drive :prplwacko: )