anyone gonna be playin any of these when it comes out?

Sedah

Aw, no need to nix the assassin. Here are my observations on the classes. It may help some of you decide too, who knows. And if other people have more to add, please do so.

Ranger (complicated to play)

One of my usual picks in MMO's. They have good utility (lots of snares/roots/etc), stealth, and they can be fun to play. Range is also nice, but you pay for it by having less damage. Also, almost all of their abilities are instant cast. It can also be a very frustrating class because you'll be so squishy. You'll have to spend the entire game kiting melee.

Assassin (easy to play)

This class is purely for the terror element. You have NO idea when they'll strike, but it'll usually be when you have your pants down. They have one purpose: get in, quickly kill, and get out. If you can't get out, which is the trickiest part, then you'll spend a lot of time respawning. Also, they're designed to tear through casters, but have a tough time with tanks.

End-game, I wonder what their utility will be. In skirmishes they'll be good, but in sieges and whatnot, they'll be waiting behind the tanks to see some action.

Mage/Spiritmaster (easy to play)

This seems to follow the "glass cannon" style of high DPS, low survivability. If you have good backup (healer, tank, etc), then this is a devastating class. Without support, you'll die when someone farts downwind of you. Lots of people go for high DPS though, so I doubt there will be any shortage of them.

Cleric/Chanter (complicated to play)

As a healer class, you'll always be targeted first because you're the glue for any successful party. If you stay alive, your party's chances of surviving go way up. So expect to be super useful, but also spend a lot of time being "crowd controlled" (stuns, sleeps, etc) by other people. And don't expect to be a "DPS healer", they don't exist in many games. End-game, expect to be everyone's friend.

Templar/Gladiator (easy to play)

This class is the only one (besides assassins) that have to get in your face to do damage. Templars can take the most punishment, but also do the least damage. One really cool thing about them is this magnet ability where they draw all enemies in to them and reduce their speed for a bit, so the casters/rangers can do massive damage to the entire area. Also a very "useful" class for it, and end-game usually doesn't have enough tanks. Also, they're typically much easier to play.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good insights Unclean :thumbsup: Man, there are a lot of MMO terms/concepts I need to get familiar with :biglaugha:

Noob questions:

1. How are experience points doled out? Is it based on kills? How do healers get exp when they're not actually killing?

2. Is it easy for an Assassin to creep up to a Caster/Tank? Seems like this is the Assassin's primary way to land a kill, but if the mechanism of sneaking up to someone is flawed, then the Assassin is pretty much in trouble. How effective are cloaks in previous MMOs? In NeoTokyo, a HL mod, the Scout's selling points are speed and longer cloak time, but I've rarely seen someone able to pull of a successful sneak attack.

3. Are Rogues > Casters due to instant cast? I read that Rogues have better HP/Armor than Mages.

4. I think I get the whole aggro & taunting stuff when in PvE. But does aggro/taunts even matter when playing PvP?

5. Is there friendly fire in MMOs? E.g. if I'm a mage and cast an AoE spell, do I damage my teammates?

Cheers!

Edited by lousiest

well for "assasin" all the way, I loved being a 'rogue' in wOw and your right, it does take some skills on how to use them, using cloak etc etc. but I love it, sneaking up to people and killin them w/out notice...I remember I faced a level 70 rogue one time and I was 65, and I pnwed him, he had better gears I jus managed to know how to use my abilities more...therefore if you know exactly when and how to use all abilities you should be a killin machine...it jus took awhile to get really used to it and know exactly what ability to use...so Asssasins ftw for me :luxhello:

I gotta remember to not use too much "shop talk" until you get in the shop too. :) And these are WAY better questions than I ever asked when I first started out. No question about it - you'll pwn.

Good insights Unclean :thumbsup: Man, there are a lot of MMO terms/concepts I need to get familiar with :biglaugha:

Noob questions:

1. How are experience points doled out? Is it based on kills? How do healers get exp when they're not actually killing?

Group XP - each person gets a certain amount. In some games, it's based on a mysterious "contribution" scale. If someone healed a ton, and somebody else did nothing but freeload, then the healer would get more. In other games the XP is divided up evenly. I hear this game has it divided up evenly. There are two types of XP though, XP from killing monsters and XP from killing other players.

2. Is it easy for an Assassin to creep up to a Caster/Tank? Seems like this is the Assassin's primary way to land a kill, but if the mechanism of sneaking up to someone is flawed, then the Assassin is pretty much in trouble. How effective are cloaks in previous MMOs? In NeoTokyo, a HL mod, the Scout's selling points are speed and longer cloak time, but I've rarely seen someone able to pull of a successful sneak attack.

Also depends on the game. In Age of Conan (AoC), someone could stay stealthed forever, but they could be spotted depending on the area, the enemy's "perception level", time of day, etc. Other games break stealth on damage. Almost all have a movement penalty of some kind. For this game, I saw that it's either -40% speed for the first "stealth" (Rangers and Assassins both get it), or -20% speed for the second "stealth (only assassins get this one). Tanks/casters can get a skill to spot the first stealth, but no one but Assassins can get the second one. So you'll be the best stealthing class in the game as an assassin (or 'sin). :)

3. Are Rogues > Casters due to instant cast? I read that Rogues have better HP/Armor than Mages.

Rogues > Casters because rogues do a LOT of physical damage in a short amount of time, and casters have little armor and health. Tanks can mitigate their damage better, and other rogues have more armor and abilities to evade those physical attacks.

4. I think I get the whole aggro & taunting stuff when in PvE. But does aggro/taunts even matter when playing PvP?

I'm not sure how it works in Aion. In some games, you could "taunt" someone so they would target you instead of the other person. In other games (like Warhammer Online), taunts would mean you would do more damage to your target until the taunted hits you 3 times or so.

5. Is there friendly fire in MMOs? E.g. if I'm a mage and cast an AoE spell, do I damage my teammates?

No, this would light up the forums with crybabies. I think Darkfall might have FF, but they have a totally different targeting system in place. In fact, now that you mention it, there was a friendly fire skill that people would use in Warhammer to grief other people. (Oh, griefing = inconveniencing or ruining the gameplay for others, like stealing kills, bringing high level monsters into low level areas and breaking aggo, etc).

@Sedah - if you've played a rogue in WoW, I can't wait to see you tear it up in Aion. :) I think I did very well as a healer in Guild Wars/Warhammer, so a well played DPS + healer is devastating.

@Sedah - if you've played a rogue in WoW, I can't wait to see you tear it up in Aion. :) I think I did very well as a healer in Guild Wars/Warhammer, so a well played DPS + healer is devastating.

O yes! def. in wow, i had a 2vs2 pvp team, was my rogue and a paladin, perfect match!

and for Aion, assassin + any healer ftw! hehe, k guys, start coming up w/ a guild name! haha

Which race are we going with? My vote's for the brighter side (less gloomier environment, lol) but I don't mind the darker side (prefer dark wings over light)

I vote 'dark sideeeee'...AND i just thought I have alot of space on my website server so we can create our own site for the guild! lmao

Edited by Sedah

I will be trying this game out through the fileplanet beta that starts the 6th. But I should get my key today at some point.

Darkside all the way, I hate being good in any game.

I just finished playing the Fallen Earth(another mmo coming out soon) Open Beta and I have to say, the game was a breath of fresh air from most mmos I have played. Fallen Earth is kind of like a Fallout 3 mmo. I didn't get to play too much because beta ended last night and I started Saturday.

I decided I will try Aion first, then from there see which one I enjoy more.

Edited by DragonFire

Definitely the darkside. I don't want to change my name to "Clean". :P You guys can become Unsedah and Unlousiest if you'd like.

Guild names... besides GC? Hmm, will think about this and post some ideas later on today.

lmao Unsedah? might as well be the "UN Guild" lmao ...unebil,unclean,undragon, unlousiest lol o gosh, no! NO!!!!!! im stickin w/ mine original name haha

Ok, about the guildname thing - honestly, I think it'd be better to join an existing guild. We tried creating one in GuildWars (remained pretty stagnant), Age of Conan (we ended up merging with another larger guild), and Warhammer (didn't have enough for a guild). Ooh, and WoW - Ebil can talk about that one, I never got into that game.

@lousiest - lots of people are sick of WoW, and they're looking for something different now. We will have to pick a common server (the company pays for the server instead of us, hence part of the monthly fee).

@Dragon - woot! It was a blast playing Age of Conan with you. Remember when we'd stealth around protecting the lowbies? What was our guild name? The Gank Police? That still cracks me up. What class do you plan on rolling here? If you go sin, I might reconsider and go ranger again. :)

Ok, about the guildname thing - honestly, I think it'd be better to join an existing guild. We tried creating one in GuildWars (remained pretty stagnant), Age of Conan (we ended up merging with another larger guild), and Warhammer (didn't have enough for a guild). Ooh, and WoW - Ebil can talk about that one, I never got into that game.

@lousiest - lots of people are sick of WoW, and they're looking for something different now. We will have to pick a common server (the company pays for the server instead of us, hence part of the monthly fee).

@Dragon - woot! It was a blast playing Age of Conan with you. Remember when we'd stealth around protecting the lowbies? What was our guild name? The Gank Police? That still cracks me up. What class do you plan on rolling here? If you go sin, I might reconsider and go ranger again. :)

Hehe, honestly Unclean I have no idea what classes are in the game(I'm sure they are like most mmos), I didn't even know there was a good side and bad side to the game until I read this topic. I figure I will just pick and choose everything when I get in game. I'm also not as excited for this game like I was for AoC before the game came out. I'm just playing the Open Beta to try the game out, and only because FilePlanet was offering keys.

But yeah the good old days of AoC were quite fun, it's too bad the game dropped off content wise later on. We should have stuck with the The Gank Police, because the guilds we joined after that weren't so great, hehe. Also we created the guild ourselves Lousiest, a lot of us just hated seeing so many new people being ganked. We'd save some newbies and then they'd join us, was kind of cool. :D

Maybe Aion will be decent enough for me to want to pay another subscription to a game.

I'll play I suppose. Played MMO's before but was always to much of a lone wolf to get into the group stuff. Maybe with people I know it will be different.

Shaftiel

wooT!!! :luxhello: yay shaft, join us :wiggle2: