Reflow Solder on a mobo/graphics chip

Tek-Almighty

So, I inherited a HP DV9000 laptop from my aunt. It is 2 years old and had some great specs...except it has graphics issues. Huge artifacting and such...even when connected to external monitor. So I do a crap ton of research and learn that there was a massive recall in 2008 of these because of gpu and chipset probs. Well, my aunt was dealing with my uncle's death at the time, so...missed that window.

I have completely disassembled the laptop and now have (4 million screws later) a naked mobo. I've read forums and watched youtube vids...but do any of you have experience with reflowing the solder on a gpu or laptop mobo?

Thanks

I too will be of no help whatsoever, however a quest such as this deserves some positive support. Good luck.

Take pictures.

Funny you should say. I took pics of every step and have then on my compy in order. So, got that covered.

However (and this is the 2nd laptop I've replaced or fixed mobo on) I broke 2 of the plastic cable clips that connect one component to another.

And...I think at least 3 of the key screws are stripped.

p.s. Just found out that she had the screen, mobo, and hdd replaced already. HOLY S*** who built this crappy mobo?

Shame on you HP.

And to think I've had nothing but HP notebooks for at least 7 years and never had a problem.

Ehh, they're all made by the same company anyways (forget what they're called). When it's mass produced, no matter what, some will be awesome, others not so much.

I feel for ya though. Just finished attempting a repair of a Rio Karma I had laying around (20 gig mp3 player). This was a spare I had laying around, but the battery was bad. When they go bad, they expand. Annnnd.. someone (me) forgot about the player for 6 months. Since the plastic housing was rock tight, the only way for the battery to expand was onto the 1.8 inch hard drive :(

Click click click....

-Fk