FPS dropping down to 30!

Demoner

So looking for some advice currently I can play from anywhere from 10-30 minutes before my fps drops down into the 30s or lower. I also have noticed so does my cmdrate as well. Once i restart steam it seems to be good for another 10-15 then the same thing happens. Any ideas? I tried cleaning my graphics card without air and just the best i could do however didn't seem to change much. It's been around 6 months or so since i've played/used my computer much at all so could it just be dust build up? Hopefully going to clean out the beast tomorrow and see what happens. If anyone has any ideas please let me know!

well i cleaned out my computer was running pretty good until tonight and it started dropping down to 30 fps again! Not sure what the deal is cause it ran fine all weekend then tonight it acted up. Any thoughts on what to check out?

any other details about the time it happens? Map change? You said after 10-15 minutes after steam. Is that time spent gaming hard? Or with steam sitting idle? Chat? Does your steam setting change as well? (meaning - the internet setting, does it seem to change from lan/T1 to dial up or something crazy?).

More details = better responses.

Video Card: 7950GT 512mb Nvidia

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz

Ram: OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

Well time wise it varies how long I play until it happens. Earlier I played for about 45minutes then it dropped down into the 30s and low 40s. Restarted steam was good for maybe 30minutes same thing. Restarted played maybe an hour later and was good for 20minutes. Then I restarted steam again it was able to play for about another 15minutes. Internet wise I am just using wireless constantly, my connection is pretty good quite certain it isn't that. I got cable not sure what the speed is I can find out though. I still can use all the normal steam chat and stuff I haven't really noticed any differences on my fps when I use it.

Sounds like a memory issue to me, probably not bad memory but another program might have a leak? You could also have something in Windows Scheduler that's starting, might want to open it up and check it out

Usually I post things and Cujo immediately comes in and refutes me with his solution so really I'm just baiting Cujo to this thread :biglaugha:

Check temps of CPU and GPU, maybe something is overheating (still even after cleanout). Do you have virus scan on auto start, or any other program maybe disk defrag or anything else running in the background. Link for program for heat issues. Start it before you play cs, then play until it acts up, then exit cs, and it will have a "max temp" that you hit while playing.

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

hmmm i hit 95C on my video card at max temp...

If you are serious.. then that's why your fps is going ker-plunk. You are literally fry-ing your video card. I'm surprised your computer doesn't shut off after like 70c. Take it out, and make sure your heatsink is on properly, no gunk in the fan, and no gunk between the heatsink and the gpu.

yeah so i did you said norg and after 20 minutes of play i was hitting 80C... so any other ideas or suggestions? Or should I just start looking for something to replace it?

Sounds like the fan is dying on the card. If you are overclocking the video card, disable the overclock and go back to stock.

The next thing you can do, is (if you are comfortable doing it) would be to remove your heatsink/fan and put new arctic silver on there. You may be lacking enough paste to connect the heatsink to the gpu, or just not enough at all to cover the gpu. If you know how to do it, and are "skilled" at it, I would do that first. If you aren't exactly the computer type. I would recommend at least getting RivaTuner and upping your fan speeds. That will help... some. Link below. If you need help figuring it out, let me know. I use it on my gpu's because they are factory overclocked, and the fans aren't good enough for all the heat they make. I put my fans between 50 and 60 at all times. I would suggest using at least 60.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/RivaTuner-v2.09-download-163.html

Edit: 95c to 80c... and that's just cleaning it out a little more!!

Edited by NorgmaN

The next thing you can do, is (if you are comfortable doing it) would be to remove your heatsink/fan and put new arctic silver on there. You may be lacking enough paste to connect the heatsink to the gpu, or just not enough at all to cover the gpu. If you know how to do it, and are "skilled" at it, I would do that first. If you aren't exactly the computer type. I would recommend at least getting RivaTuner and upping your fan speeds. That will help... some. Link below. If you need help figuring it out, let me know. I use it on my gpu's because they are factory overclocked, and the fans aren't good enough for all the heat they make. I put my fans between 50 and 60 at all times. I would suggest using at least 60.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/RivaTuner-v2.09-download-163.html

Edit: 95c to 80c... and that's just cleaning it out a little more!!

i set those fans to 60 and still didnt make a difference... is there a guide of some sort on how to remove my heatsink and reconnect it?

There is not much too it. On the chip side, there should be like 10 or so screws that have a spring like washer under them. Take them all out, and the heatsink should come right off. You don't have to unplug any cables or anything else. ONLY REMOVE THE PASTE ON THE GPU. DO NOT REMOVE OR ADD PASTE TO ANYTHING ELSE. The GPU, incase you don't know, is the biggest chip on the card. Remove the basic paste, use a clean cloth a little rubbing alcohol if you want (I don't use it), and make sure its dry. Then lightly but a cover over the whole GPU. Start with an amount that you think won't even cover the chip, once you spread it there should be a paper thin cover of paste on the chip. If you don't quite get it all covered put on just a little more. Make sure the covering is even over the whole chip. Put back on the heatsink, screw it back together, and see if she works.

I know several graphics cards that run at 90 Celsius under load. I don't think that is your issue.

If you think its the GPU doing it, stick your computer in the window. Its still cold enough that it will cool your computer to around 50 Celsius. If your computer still cuts to 30 fps, then its not your GPU.

I'm with anonymo on this one.