Advertisements via text messages

EbilDustBunny

call your carrier (att, sprint, verizon) and have the shortcode they're coming from blocked. just like email, don't reply to sms spam with an unsubscribe or opt-out message.

oh, and get ready for more. marketers are convinced the only way to do mobile marketing is through sms,

I get them about nightclub promotions. I've tried texting every form of "remove" to them, but they still appear once every month or so.

Just looking it up, it looks like the CAN-SPAM act doesn't cover text messages:

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/canspam.html

The FCC’s ban does not cover “short messages,†typically sent from one mobile phone to another, that do not use an Internet address.

(insert sad face here)

I get those txt spams too from time to time. They're almost always about getting out of debt, which I find quite funny since I have no debt currently.

They annoy me because my cell phone bill gets charged 10cents per txt message and there's no way to block them from what I've seen. The only solution I know of is to call my provider and cut off txt messages completely, but then I can't get txt messages from friends. Therefore, unless they get out of hand, I'll just deal with the 2-3 spam txts per month.

Every carrier that I know of has a website or a section of their wireless site dedicated to SMS. You can set up an email or name that will go to your phone via sms. Mine is my name @vtext.com for example. There are also controls for receiving sms messages from the web and an area for blocking certain senders. Check with your carrier. This article is a couple of years old but the information should still be valid. I hand it out whenever I hear complaints like this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/12/technology/personaltech/12pogue-email.html

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to send me SMS advertisements.

Just the mere thought of this happening has enraged me...get a handle on it down there!

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to send me SMS advertisements.

Just the mere thought of this happening has enraged me...get a handle on it down there!

i've just opted you in for the hannah montana campaign. enjoy!

i've just opted you in for the hannah montana campaign. enjoy!

Hannah, Montana? Is it nice there? I've never been...