Unclean's New Lair

Unclean

I'm surprised at all the stuff that comes up with buying a house. Some are expected, some aren't. I'm in the process of moving into my first house now, and here are some of the highlights:

- The closing had some fun surprises, like when the seller's lawyer tried to convince us we agreed to have them hold the tax money in escrow. So that would mean we'd have to give our lender an extra $11,000 that we didn't know about until that day. No big deal, right?

- Our lawyer was also the mayor of the town

- When the lawyers started arguing, the seller's lawyer went to call her boss out of the room, and we overheard "I don't know why they're being such aholes about this"

- A suitable gift from the real estate agent is "an artist's sketch of the house", aka "somebody took a cellphone picture of the house, applied the edging filter in Photoshop and printed it out"

- Moving can take over 100 man hours to do, and may not be done in a weekend

- When we turn the heat on, it makes the house smell like farts

- "The house must be in broom clean condition" does not actually mean it was cleaned with a broom. Or cleaned. It means little toys, dust, hair, and random crap are left everywhere

- If you attempt to clean a complicated refrigerator, service calls cost $84.95 plus labor/parts

- The entire house will look like an episode of Hoarders for about a week while you get stuff unpacked

I can just show you ones from the listing right now...

Outside:

picture-uh=baa4bf32076a14017e8d0509cddb7a-ps=ea2b14d83268901076855661d6403e3b.jpg

Livingroom/entryway/part of the dining room:

picture-uh=a85d9040409db6537e72ea302e661af7-ps=fbe2c9127587e1e29e86db30117132e.jpg

Dining room:

picture-uh=f8fb2ad455aaf6b1ccf24f2eb7b6c-ps=fd43cc43507c10fa9fb26f49169a92fc.jpg

Kitchen, including complicated refrigerator:

picture-uh=784b6ab3a429b0d1deca1cedd261eb8e-ps=4e6af8984f37921ad86b94b083e15c8e.jpg

Master bedroom:

picture-uh=d9ceecf71c908b04b3a3a7ef41db1c-ps=d8fbec487a833fa822222ff8172a5517.jpg

Second bedroom:

picture-uh=ad47e2476f482bce6176c35b1446a2-ps=859c99219407b12393cd78ff15f73e.jpg

Third bedroom:

picture-uh=45bc988ff092926e96b266a21e1cb714-ps=4f92913129527905afbf594f848ec1.jpg

Fourth bedroom:

picture-uh=203fa655d173f9d9c3468adac1c310-ps=b2971cdd3466f11e4b9c5a5bb240b8e0.jpg

I couldn't find any of the finished basement, so I'll take some in the next few days and post 'em up. And if you'd like, I can take pictures of the squalor we're living in right now as we unpack all the boxes, but it ain't pretty.

Which room is Dave's?

Haha, nice. His room is still 40 minutes away with Janet. You know what line finally worked? "I don't have anything against Dave - I just don't want him staying over every night. I wouldn't want my best friend over every night".

Mo - we picked the lawyer after picking the house, so I don't think there was a conflict of interest. And unlike the real estate agent, he gave a really cool gift - etched drinking glasses with scenes from the town. And about the "complicated refrigerator", it's a GE Profile model. As the bottom drawer opens, part of the top lid slides back so you can access the contents easier. Or as I like to think of it, the bottom drawer opens so plastic parts can more easily snap off.

Thanks guys!

But something about the place is a little unsettling. The inside looks like a house in a nuke test zone.

Hahaha waaaat?

I think he's talking about the nuclear tests in the 50's, and how'd they'd stage homes before blowing them up. The most recent reference to this I can think of is when Indiana Jones climbs into a refrigerator to survive a nuclear bomb blast. Bad news for him - my fridge is too complicated.

Thanks guys!

But something about the place is a little unsettling. The inside looks like a house in a nuke test zone.

Hahaha waaaat?

I think he's talking about the nuclear tests in the 50's, and how'd they'd stage homes before blowing them up. The most recent reference to this I can think of is when Indiana Jones climbs into a refrigerator to survive a nuclear bomb blast. Bad news for him - my fridge is too complicated.

Oh I knew exactly what he meant...waaaaaat?

Nice work! Congrats! I'll get the pics of my home up also soon, sounds like you have had just a few more problems than we have moving in this week. Closing went smooth, and we are doing escrow so that the taxes aren't owed at the end of the year, but it wasn't nearly anything like $11,000 due at closing. So far the biggest problem has been the hot water heater. It's electric and well, has been taking FOREVER to heat any amount of water. I think one of the heating elements is broken in it, maybe. Another problem is the lack of phone jacks in bedrooms, so right now this computer is in the dining room for the phone jack in the kitchen. Other than that, not too many problems so far, but im sure ill have more to update later :) Nice looking house though, a little bigger than i could afford :P