Android tablet!

Clueless

GC Alumni

Heh...i'm not a fanboy, I just like the idea of the ipad but without the limitations and restrictive behavior of apple attached to it. I like it so much that I actually even considered....for a VERY split second, buying an ipad. It's just so darn neat :)

Besides, don't be so hard on the android community, in fact, you should love them...if not for them putting a bit dent in apples business, updated features would come even slower for your precious iphone, isn't competition great?

Heh...i'm not a fanboy, I just like the idea of the ipad but without the limitations and restrictive behavior of apple attached to it. I like it so much that I actually even considered....for a VERY split second, buying an ipad. It's just so darn neat :)

Besides, don't be so hard on the android community, in fact, you should love them...if not for them putting a bit dent in apples business, updated features would come even slower for your precious iphone, isn't competition great?

I think greedy Apple would release an iPhone/iPad/iMac every year with some kind of updated feature, regardless of competition.

GC Alumni

brace yourselves...

i'd rather get a winmo7 tablet (like mav posted) over an android tablet.

Wha? What's so wrong with Android? For you to say that you would take Windows over Android is a pretty harsh statement coming from you, lol

brace yourselves...

i'd rather get a winmo7 tablet (like mav posted) over an android tablet.

It runs the Zune software, that must be it . . .

Seriously, that's the weirdest thing I've seen today...lol

PS: ZD, that Adam tablet looks slick, I agree

Edited by [LaW]Maverick

GC Alumni

android's (completely absent) user design just sucks. period.

Not following you on that one...by user design, do you mean the completely even, sterile grid pattern of icons? If so, yeah, android and iwhatever are pretty much the same. I think it works pretty well overall, and I do like the way my ipod touch works too, don't get me wrong, but I REALLY love being free from itunes and apple's "big brother" type attitude, but mostly itunes.

I didn't think i would like it, but i have to say....i am really diggin the swype keyboard....for anyone who hasn't tried it, don't be afraid...it's pretty sweet once you get used to it.

apple's "big brother" attitude? android over-the-air sync works because of integration with google services. what's not big brother about that?

by user design, i mean the thought that goes behind interface design of the os and the apps, and the swift hammer apple rules with to make sure apps enforce that design mentality.

exhibit a:

http://wellplacedpixels.com/

android just doesn't compare. windows (and winmo), does.

GC Alumni

By big brother, I mean that android is more open source. And did I mention that itunes is a horrible, worthless pile of steaming dung?

I dunno...we could argue forever, and it really doesn't matter, i am happy with android, it makes sense to me, things are where you would think to look for them, so I guess I don't get the lack of organization or user interface.

And just for the record...I wish I could type the names you called me a couple of months ago when I thought for a brief moment of buying the HD2, a Windows Mobile device, lol. I liked the device, not the OS, which is why I came to my senses and avoided it...I love Windows 7, but windows mobile is just dumb...lacks logic in just about every way, now you like it, lol.

(Note: I have no experience with Windows Mobile 7, but the previous versions are enough to make me not care)

The Windows Phone 7 GUI is awesome--SJ is going to love this--but it's very similar to the Zune in its layout (the Zune HD that is), which I absolutely love. If you look at the interface, it is awesome.

Personally, I think the Windows is a better platform for tablets, because they're planning on using essentially the netbook version of Windows 7 with some GUI tweaks. That means that you can put things like Office and other Windows programs on there which is slick. Now, if they change that, I'm going to have high hopes for Android.

I prefer my Android phone to the iPhone for the following reasons:

1.) no iTunes...I'm with Clue on that..iTunes is HORRIBLE (which is odd, because the GUI on the iPhone/iPod touch is pretty slick)

2.) I can change my battery

3.) I can root my phone and it doesn't void the warranty, nor does it go against the user agreement (that I know of)--heck, I even have my Droid overclocked with WiFi hotspot capability

4.) AT&T

5.) SNES/NES Emulators :-)

6.) The ridiculous reasons Apple gives for turning down apps (journalists with sarcastic cartoons can't get on, despite having clean language/gui/pictures?)

7.) I have Flash on my phone

The list is longer, but hey, I also agree with Clue, the GUI on the iPhone is fairly similar to Android--minus the notification bar that I really like. Now, versions before 2.1 weren't so hot, but 2.1 was very good and 2.2 (Froyo) is REALLY good (that's what I'm running on my Droid). SJ, even you have to admit there is a lot more freedom on the Android OS--though that can be a bad thing if you aren't careful with what you download, I agree (if the market says 1 star, don't download it--it's not rocket science).

i have to admit, i cringed when i read "the GUI on the iPhone is fairly similar to Android."

i'm not sure about the freedom of android os. there's not much you can't do with the iphone. some of the approaches aren't allowed, which some developers aren't going to like, but there's not much you can't do, especially with the new support in 4.0.

GC Alumni

Good point on the battery thing, I forgot all about that one, lol.

2.2 is supposed to be pretty awesome and MUCH faster, so I am looking forward to getting my hands on it soon :D

As for Windows on a tablet...I am not excited or hopeful, Windows has always been known as a resource hog, so making a smooth, efficient tablet with any version of Windows seems like a pipe dream....but I will eat my words if it ends up working out. As far as the Office thing goes...that's not a consideration for me, I want one as a toy...if I need to work, i'll grab one of the other 4 fully capable computers/laptops in my house, lol.

I am not excited or hopeful, Windows has always been known as a resource hog, so making a smooth, efficient tablet with any version of Windows seems like a pipe dream.

you realize you just described android, right?

First thing I am going to say is that I like both the Android and Apple platforms.

Here are my issues with both.

Apple

Un-customizable UI. Yeah, you can drag around the icons. With 4.0 you can add a wallpaper. Whoopeeeeee. That is weak. Widgets are a necessity on a smartphone.

AT&T. Nothing more needs to be said.

Real multi-tasking. Sorry, 4.0 is not real multitasking and sounds like another attempt by Apple to say "we can do it better" by making it all restrictive and limited. I could be wrong. Will have to wait and see.

You have to pay for a good GPS turn-by-turn app.

No native Google Voice app.

Cannot upgrade the storage via micro SD.

Cannot replace the battery.

Fascist-like control over what apps can be made for the phone and how. It seems I am reading daily about some apps being removed for whatever lame-donkey reason Apple came up with.

Android

Update process from one version to another takes too long. When will my droid see 2.2? Who knows with Motorola.

Lack of Quality controls for apps in the market which also coincides with.....

... apps that do not exit properly which result in their continual running in the background requiring a task manager to kill. You otherwise get system slow-down and battery drain and ....

. . .Amazon MP3 app being forced down my throat. It is always running or starts up on its own without need. Uses system resources.

The large number of options for providers and carriers is good but also makes the market cluttered and confusing. My Droid is already obsolete compared to all the other options out there. At least with Apple, if you buy the iphone 4, you will be stuck with the best of that type of phone for a year without worry of something better coming out in a month. The tech envy can be intolerable.

All of the great new features being added to Android can be removed due to the carriers and hardware vendors restricting it. I doubt my droid will see built in tethering and wifi hotspot although those options would be amazing. Of course a custom ROM would re-enable them.

Unable to install apps to the SD card (can with 2.2 though) which also coincides with ....

.... Crappy games for the Android platform. The hardware is as capable as the iPhone if not more so with Android phones that have physical keyboards and D-pads such as the Droid. But the lack of storage space is currently a limiting factor.

Done

With all of that said, I went with my Droid initially because of the better coverage with Verizon. I was also very turned off by the rejection of the Google Voice app for the iPhone. I live by that app on my Droid. I get free sms with it along with instant notifications of received msgs. Voicemail to text is also very sweet. The iPhone is a great device and I would recommend it more to the users here if it were on Verizon. For what they need, the iPhone would be an easier phone for them to use. The Droid's battery life improved a great deal with 2.1. I can use my phone moderately to check email, take and place a few calls, respond to some texts, check twitter and facebook throughout the day, and still have 60-70% battery at 11pm tonight. That is with wifi turned on. I never got anything close to that with the iPhone 3GS when I had it.

In closing: Each phone has its positives and negatives. If you want a phone that works out of the box with a bit of hand-holding and a standard look across the board, then the iPhone is for you. If you want a phone that requires some customizations to get it looking the way you want and the freedom to do so, then you want an Android based phone.

A good deal of those negatives go away with 2.2 (I'm running it on my Moto Droid right now).

My droid now benchmarks right up there with the fastest stock droids (with Froyo alone, it's right below the upcoming Shadow running 2.1). I have also installed an on-demand overclocking app that works very well (still get great battery life as it clocks down to 250 mHz when idle), and with that, I get a hair below the Nexus One (still the fastest stock phone out there) running 2.2. I can get it to go faster if I want, but I don't NEED it.

2.2 also has built in tethering--I've used it, it works. Root your phone and you can have that option without 2.2 (I was using Barnacle previously).

As far as games are concerned...SNES and NES! Hahaha...I agree though, a lot of the Android-specific games do suck, but they haven't been developing nearly as long as the iPhone OS games.

Over-all, I like the iPhone's GUI, I like the feature set, but it comes down to being ridiculously restrictive--which Apple claims it needs to ensure a good end-user experience. I dunno, my wife, who had a lot of trouble easily using the Blackberry OS, and is not nearly as technologically inclined as I am, loves her Droid. She finds it easy to use--which is saying something.

If the iPhone had expandable memory, wasn't on AT&T, and didn't keep coming out with features that other phones already have and call them "revolutionary" (that's just annoying)--I would recommend it to people. IT does look good, and the interface is also good. I just like my Droid better.

Ahh...SJ, doesn't arguing about OSes bring back fond memories? :) ZD, if you want to know where to get 2.2 (Froyo), let me know.

zd, there are two different types of multitasking in 4.0. one runs in the background (pandora), one preserves the state (facebook). what's missing, and why is it needed? i use gv on my iphone (html5/mobile version), get free texts, and voicemail to text transcription -- but my transcriptions are generally funny and entirely unrelated to the actual message.

you guys are right about tethering. at&t is finally allowing it, and it'll be an extra $30/mo...and doesn't include any extra data transfer (2gb/mo for $25 is the new base plan). you could still jailbreak and use tethering and save the $30/mo, but the 2gb data cap is tough to swallow. i'm sure everyone will be doing it in the next 18 months, but for now, i'll probably go to sprint/evo for this reason alone.

wait, weren't we talking about tablets?

Maverick' date='08 June 2010 - 10:36 AM' timestamp='1276007791' post='481523']

ZD, if you want to know where to get 2.2 (Froyo), let me know.

My droid was rooted previously. I may revert back to 2.0.1 and reroot it and leave it that way. The whole Amazon Mp3 thing irritates me to no end.

By the way, if you haven't tried it yet, pay for the Beautiful Widgets app and then download and install the free add-on live wallpaper. The live wallpaper will update with the Beautiful widget weather features and if there is a thunderstorm where you are, the phone shows it raining with lightning. It is amazing looking.

zd, there are two different types of multitasking in 4.0. one runs in the background (pandora), one preserves the state (facebook). what's missing, and why is it needed? i use gv on my iphone (html5/mobile version), get free texts, and voicemail to text transcription -- but my transcriptions are generally funny and entirely unrelated to the actual message.

you guys are right about tethering. at&t is finally allowing it, and it'll be an extra $30/mo...and doesn't include any extra data transfer (2gb/mo for $25 is the new base plan). you could still jailbreak and use tethering and save the $30/mo, but the 2gb data cap is tough to swallow. i'm sure everyone will be doing it in the next 18 months, but for now, i'll probably go to sprint/evo for this reason alone.

wait, weren't we talking about tablets?

Do not get me started on the iPad. That has to be Apples biggest rip-off item. I used one and thought "WTH is this??? An oversized Ipod Touch" The icons are even larger as though they took the Ipod/Iphone gui and stretched it out for the bigger screen. The same limitations and restrictions on installing and using apps that the iphone has also apply to the iPad. I have to say that I was so very disappointed.