My means of transportation

NOFX

So I made a thread a while back about the Isuzu Rodeo I bought. Bought it for 5k in Nov of 2008, the head gasket cracked in May of this year. I was working about 75 hours a week when it happened and eventually the engine seized. KBB value was $2500. New engine would cost just as much or more. So I sold it for $500 and picked up this 2007 Scion Tc sometime in May. Then about 2-3 weeks ago I came across a killer deal on a 2008 Yamaha FZ6 w/4500 miles.. It also came with the original front end, in case I want to change it back to stock. I'm not really a fan of the banana seat, but I think this is the type of bike the suits my style. I dig the street fighter conversion and I like how it's got a little more upright sitting position than a super sport bike. It just seems more comfortable for distance trips. It does have the R6 engine just tuned down a little to have some torque in the mid-range. I like a v-twin better and the SV650 would have prob been my first choice, but seeing how I picked this up for only $2000, I think it's a great bike :D

mjzWjl.jpg

(edited)

Thanks dude. Why won't you get a bike? They are fairly cheap if you just browse local ads for someone trying to get rid of theirs. Insurance is super cheap and this bike gets about 40mpg in the city with aggressive driving. Probably about 50 on the highway. Im going to do a 600 mile round trip this weekend on the bike and test it out.

As for the car, It had been wrecked and had some body damage, but completely restored. I bought it off a body shop for about 4-5k cheaper than what private sellers and dealers wanted for one. Also rolling up with cash and getting an extra $500 off with a "I'll take if off your hands right now for this" attitude works pretty well. It's an 07 w/ 40k miles, all maintenance had been done regularly and is very mechanically sound, it also even had new tires :)

I really didn't want to buy another vehicle, but it wasn't practical for me to fix that Rodeo I bought. Since I got this car for so cheap. Im going to see how many miles I can put on her before she craps out.

Edited by .fx

Thanks preach. I'm not really scion fan or anything and there is no way I'd drive a box. I wasn't specifically looking for a Tc. I was really looking at an all black, four wheel drive, Z71, extended cab colorado. That is what I really wanted, but I was also checking out smaller cars that got better gas mileage and would be better for driving in the city. I like to take my time when buying something significant and it usually pays off. I saw the Tc pop up on craigslist one morning and picked it up that evening. It's actually a pretty nice car.

Power windows, sunroof, keyless entry, automatic. I haven't had any of those luxuries in a very long time. It also zips around through traffic pretty well.

Well, I about bit the dust today guys... I rode the motorcycle 300 miles to my hometown on Friday and had no problems. I was riding around the area around noon today heading toward town and about got hit head on by some donkey burrow. Coming toward me, there is a straight stretch and at the end, the road goes down hill(sort of a blind hill) and it turns to the right as soon as it starts to descend. I was coming up the hill and the car comes over the little hill, but doesnt turn. They just keep going straight and start to come into my lane. The car was pretty far off and I begin to slow down. He eventually comes all the way into my lane and at this point, Im almost off the road in the gravel and only going about 15mph(slowed down from 55mph). Regardless of whether I was off the road or not, they weren't paying a bit of attention and were still headed straight toward me, almost going off the opposite of the road. About two car lengths in front of me, I guess they look up and somehow swerve back to their lane.. Kinda shook me up for the entire day

Edited by .fx

glad you made it through, my nephew got clipped from a car changing lanes that didn't see him and he dislocated his ankle so bad they had to operate 3 times to get it right.. Plus his Ducati (SP) is totaled. He bought it with his military bonus. He also lost his job because he's a "contract" employee for a skip trace firm here in STL.

Anyway be careful and watch for idiots.

Well, I about bit the dust today guys... I rode the motorcycle 300 miles to my hometown on Friday and had no problems. I was riding around the area around noon today heading toward town and about got hit head on by some donkey burrow. Coming toward me, there is a straight stretch and at the end, the road goes down hill(sort of a blind hill) and it turns to the right as soon as it starts to descend. I was coming up the hill and the car comes over the little hill, but doesnt turn. They just keep going straight and start to come into my lane. The car was pretty far off and I begin to slow down. He eventually comes all the way into my lane and at this point, Im almost off the road in the gravel and only going about 15mph(slowed down from 55mph). Regardless of whether I was off the road or not, they weren't paying a bit of attention and were still headed straight toward me, almost going off the opposite of the road. About two car lengths in front of me, I guess they look up and somehow swerve back to their lane.. Kinda shook me up for the entire day

This is why my fiance wont let me get a bike, nearly everyone we know has had some sort of bad accident with them. A guy i work with who used to ride put it this way, you WILL crash eventually, it just depends in what fashion and how badly.

Speaking of motorcycles, i am just looking at them online to decide what i like in a bike in case i really do want to get one sometime, and i like the Suzuki SV650 I think. The styling is similar to your bike with that headlight now, at least on the website. I also like their Bandit, which has more power but is out of my price range. Looking at the bikes with about 650cc

This is why my fiance wont let me get a bike, nearly everyone we know has had some sort of bad accident with them. A guy i work with who used to ride put it this way, you WILL crash eventually, it just depends in what fashion and how badly.

there are idiot drivers out there no matter what type of vehicle you are in. On a motorcycle your visibility as a driver is much greater than those in a car or what have you. Saying that you will get in an accident for having a motorcycle isn't a valid reason on not getting one or at least not to me. My dad has had a motorcycle ever since he was 15 now in his 50s. Only accidents he was in was while driving a car not a cycle....

I don't mean to offend anyone here, but a lot of people I have seen on bikes drive carelessly, especially those with sport bikes. Whether it's swerving in and out of traffic, accelerating extremely fast or just driving way over the speed limit, I see it, and even hear it, constantly.

The people on bikes that I don't see doing stupid stuff tend to be the 40+ guys on their cruisers. And the fact that they are 40+ years old makes me think they never did stupid stuff like the kids on sport bikes because they are still in one piece.

I don't think it's the bikes problem they are dangerous, I think it's the person driving them that is dangerous.

Edited by VooDooPC

i'll see your careless and replace it with an aggressive.

i'm far more aggressive on my bike than in my car. i need to be heads up on what's happening around me.

- see a car driver talking on their phone and constantly braking late? i'm getting way ahead of you.

- see a car driver failing to signal on lane changes? see ya.

- see a car driver making irrational lane changes? see ya.

keep in mind, you have far fewer blind spots on a bike. you can brake much, much quicker. you need half the lane space a car does.

then again, i ride in full gear, took the BRC, and know my limits. i'm not racing or showing off, i'm making sure your SUV doesn't tattoo my sunny spots.

I think its a mix of both. There are idiot drivers of cars, and idiot drivers of motorcycles. Cars have more blind spots, bikes are harder to see since they are smaller. It goes both ways with everything. It's not the possibility of crashing that keeps me from getting one rather keeping people i love happy and the money aspect, for now. I'm wanting one more every day and soon money and family wont stop me if i really want one lol. I would get my motorcycle license if i do get one, and I'd always wear full gear, I already told myself that. Heres to hoping.

I drive a volvo, a beige one, so why don't you cut me some frickin' slack

z191306614.jpg

Back on topic...

Aggressive defensive riding is simply being smart and aware of your surroundings. I have seen LOADS of stupidity while riding both from cars and fellow riders. I am not a sport bike fan myself, but they do get a stigma from being more capable performance wise, which tends to attract the morons out there that ride irresponsibly. I see far more sport bike riders out there wearing full gear and riding respectfully and responsibly than the minority of idiots. Sometimes though, no matter how smart or aware you may be, stuff happens. I have "used" a helmet once while on a cruiser (putting it nicely, wasn't a pleasant situation), and swore after that that I would always continue to wear one every time I got on the bike thereafter, no matter how short the distance. Once you have needed the helmet once, you understand.

Ride safe, stay aware, and always always wear your helmet!

GG

I don't do stupid things on my bike or at least I think I don't, I enjoy living.. Being aware of my surroundings prevented me getting hit head on. If I hadn't started braking as soon as I noticed the guy first started to cross the double line, I'm pretty sure I would have been toast. I wouldn't have been able to stop in time. I try to always gear, but I don't have a decent jacket right now. I'm shopping for one online. But I do always wear a helmet(we have helmet laws here in Virginia).

With all that said, I'm an aggressive defensive driver. I can accelerate, stop, turn much quicker than cars. I can see much more and Im far more aware of whats going on around me. I try to stay away from vehicles as much as I can. I do not like you riding right beside me or right behind me. Chances are, you will be on a cell phone and try to merge into my lane. If you are behind me and haven't given enough room, I'm in constant fear of you running over me. For those of you who don't ride.. please put more room between you and the bike than you would a car. There is nothing I hate more than a car trying to keep up with me. I accelerate to 80 for 10 seconds to get away from the car. I slow back down to our cruising speed of 60 or so and next thing I know, the person is either right behind me or beside me again. Why do people do this?

I had some doucher in a silverado tailgate me on my 300 mile trip home. He gave me about 10-15 feet of space while I was doing 60 in a 55. He eventually passed me on a double line.

Again, a couple days ago, just riding back and forth to work. I had two separate incidents where I'm in the right lane. A car in the middle lane wants to ride right beside me. They barely get in front of me, they ride there for a while, forget I'm there and then merge into my lane. I'm already expecting this, so it doesn't phase me too much. I just wonder if they feel like a jackass or not when they look in their rear view and see me right on their donkey. Nah, they probably don't. They probably assume I sped up and just wanted to tailgate them. I also had a lady on her cell phone pull out in front of me that day too.. I was just cruising through the work complex roads, doing 35 or so. She's pulling out of the parking lot, she looks right at me and keeps pulling out.

When it comes to the dangers of riding, my fear of cagers far outweighs my ability on the motorcycle. I know my limits on the bike and don't do things I'm not capable of. I can't control you not paying attention, so therefore I have to be aggressive or get ran over.

Edited by .fx

When it comes to the dangers of riding, my fear of cagers far outweighs my ability on the motorcycle. I know my limits on the bike and don't do things I'm not capable of. I can't control you not paying attention, so therefore I have to be aggressive or get ran over.

This +1

Good rules to ride by. You can't ride scared, the best you can hope for is to be aware of pending stupidity!