Filth Broke Unclean's Computer?

Unclean

Something kinda strange started happening on Wednesday. Whenever I would hop into Aion to play for a bit, my computer would shut off. It seemed like someone yanked the cord out. I updated to the latest videocard drivers, watched the temperatures of the videocard, ran MemTest86, and all seemed ok. Still the issue persisted.

I opened up the case to make sure there wasn't any dust in there, and it seemed alright. Until I noticed the heatsink on the CPU. 2/3 of it was completely blocked by dust:

post-1130-017179800 1292860968_thumb.jpg

So I cleaned it and reattached the fan:

post-1130-026345500 1292860982_thumb.jpg

When I powered it on, the surge protector went click-click-click-click really fast until I shut the power off.

I figured I didn't hook up something right, so I disassembled/reassembled everything and tried it again. Same clicks, no video. So I have some questions for the hardware guys here:

1. Does this sound like a bad power supply to you? It was working fine until I cleaned the CPU heatsink.

2. Did that series of clicks possibly fry my motherboard, processor, ram, etc?

3. Let's say hypothetically speaking that I used this as an excuse to upgrade to an all-new i7 950 system, and the parts arrive tomorrow. Is it worth it to hook up the power supply to the old system to see if that was the issue, or is it possible that the motherboard (if fried) can then damage the new power supply?

Based on the symptoms (computer shuts off suddenly) and the dust caked on your heatsink, heat seems like the obvious guess. That would lead me to think that, if the computer won't start back up, it's either the GPU or CPU. CPUs usually have a thermal shut off, which would cause your first problem. Not so sure about the clicking noise. I don't really see how a cooked mobo would damage a PSU, since usually PSUs will go from being overworked and not much else that could be affected by the computer's components.

When you reattached the heatsink, did you clean off the old thermal paste and replace it (not an issue if you didn't actually remove the heatsink from the CPU)?

Possibly try a new surge protector before worrying about buying a new computer.

I did try another surge protector, still not enough power. I think the click-click-click noises were from the "smart" surge protector - the main computer is hooked up to the master power outlet, and once power is off, the surge protector turns off all the other devices on the strip.

The case is a mid-tower case. There isn't a lot of room for the 230gtx, it's really wall-to-wall in there. I think I might have an old graphics card lying around somewhere, I'll see if that's the culprit (maybe it's drawing too much power, even for a 700W power supply). Thanks for the tip. I ordered a new power supply too, so if the problem still persists, it's gotta be the processor (or motherboard?).

About the thermal paste: I removed the old bird crap with an Arctic 5 2 step cleaning process (cleaner/purifier), then put new paste on.

Hey and of all that, the most reliable piece of equipment there is probably that mouse, good choice!

So just what are you saying about the exotic dancer delivery service?

I got the power supply yesterday. That was the culprit. The computer is running like a champ again. I put it through the Prime95 ringer yesterday, and there were no errors.

So dust may have killed it, but a new power supply brought it back.

Hey and of all that, the most reliable piece of equipment there is probably that mouse, good choice!

So just what are you saying about the exotic dancer delivery service?

I got the power supply yesterday. That was the culprit. The computer is running like a champ again. I put it through the Prime95 ringer yesterday, and there were no errors.

So dust may have killed it, but a new power supply brought it back.

Did that power supply come with a new i7 setup? If not, then I think you failed this exercise.