Guild Wars 2 vs. Diablo3

samurai nightling

Which new MMORPG will you be purchasing?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So with these 2 games being pretty popular and some buzz recently that Diablo 3 may be (I say this very loosely) released by the end of the year, which one of these games looks more appealing to you guys? I have played both D2 and GW through the Nightfall expansion, and both games were very fun. Each has its own style of playing and questing.

Granted when i played these i was in high school and college and had wayyyy more free time to quest with guildies/friends but I still want to see who all is gonna be playing.

So which will it be, or both? As for me, I intend on buying D3 on release day, and if they make it a subscription to play or the game play isn't as fun as i expected, I will be getting GW2. GW is very fun, but fun in that you want to have like 10 guild members on when you are so u can actually quest with friends and people who know what the heck they are doing. I hated the AI heroes thing when they added that to GW, I'm more of a real person helping you kind of guy.

Oh and I know this should prolly be in computer games, but some people just don't ever look in those forums. We can move it when most people have voted if anyone wants.

I loved the heck out of Diablo 2. I am hoping D3 is similar although I did purchase Sc2 and haven't played it online once. I only have time for 1 game at a time and League of Legends has dominated my time since before this time last year. I started Portal 2 and have yet to finish it. Sometimes the puzzles baffle me and I go back to it a week later.

http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4c1cea6a205db

In what world is Diablo 3 a MMO? Lay off that sweet Kentucky bourbon you nut... :freak:

Both probably. D3 because it's Diablo and will be replayable forever (hopefully)

GW2 because it looks to be shaping up to be something rather unique.

Brutal times ahead for PC folks. So many good games coming down the pipe (Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, etc...)

Well Guild Wars 2 will probably suck most of my free time when it comes out, but it's not like I'm never gonna get Diablo 3 at some point so both. Also it seems as I continue to read news about Guild Wars 2 I get both excited and disappointed, I'm hoping A.net has learned from their mistakes in the original.

I can't say I ever see Diablo 3 becoming pay to play on it's own. However, I do see the possibility of Blizzard charging for battle.net accounts. Plus as Starcraft 2 has shown, LAN play is out which sucks.

Yeah since D3 isn't really an MMO as FK has so kindly pointed out :P, I doubt they'll make it pay to play. Guild wars will for sure be free, and with the added content, from everything I'm seeing it's shaping up to literally be twice as awesome of a game as GW was. They seem to be taking everything people wanted in the first series and incorporating it into GW2. As taken directly from their FAQ on the website, this game is their biggest project ever.

"When is Guild Wars 2 going to be released? When it's finished. Guild Wars 2 is the largest project ArenaNet® has ever undertaken, and we want to make sure we take the time to do it right.

When will there be a beta?

We will be conducting small closed alpha and beta tests in 2011. The feedback from these tests will determine when we will do public beta tests and ship the game. Guild Wars 2 is a very large and ambitious game, and Guild Wars players rightfully have very high expectations. We want players to be absolutely blown away by the game the first time they experience it."

(edited)

Truth, and honestly if you wanna talk about two games you really have to chose between it should be Guild Wars 2 and The Old Republic. Looking forward to that way more than Diablo 3

Edited by Allanon

Truth, and honestly if you wanna talk about two games you really have to chose between it should be Guild Wars 2 and The Old Republic. Looking forward to that way more than Diablo 3

/agreed. My son is excited about The Old Republic. Game does look amazing.

D3 for me, I've had enough of MMORPG's.

Where as I couldn't blame you for being tired of them, I would at least urge you to look at Guild Wars 2. From all the info that Arena.net has released so far GW2 looks to be shaping up very differently from your typical MMO. Plus there is no monthly fee so worse comes to worse your down fifty bucks.

Not from what i remember, its just like how D2 or any other game like that has been free to play online. You didn't buy stuff in game, it was just free. Also head on over to YouTube and look up some GW2 videos, they just uploaded some that show 5 skills from each class of character. The necromancer skills look pretty awesome imo.

But how do they get money for the cost of maintaining the servers, etc? If NCSoft can do it w/o charging a monthly fee, wonder why other MMO companies can't do it too :P

Also, if you guys are playing, are you doing any GC teams?