Second Server

GeneWildest

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I think it's worth bringing up again. Is there any way we could get a second l4d2 server Just like the original? This server is full basically 24/7 and a lot of times I can't even connect just to sit in spec and wait for a spot to open up. I think there is enough demand to fill 2 such servers.

I understand that people enjoy playing on the same server with the same people, but you can keep doing that. Just don't play on the second server. Or do... and make new friends. It's really hard to get in to the server to play at all, let alone invite a friend who hasn't paid to come and try out the game. Some of my buddies can never get in to play with me even if they'd like to.

Anyway, the community can still be cohesive and unified, there could just be another place to play when the first server is constantly full.

<loiters in the vicinity, whistling to himself...>

Uh oh... did I bring up a sensitive topic? I get the feeling there is some history here. Seriously though, it takes like 20 minutes just to get in to spec and then I usually have to wait until map change just to play. I think that a second server would probably be just as busy.

1, No one else is going to step up to the plate and lead the second server. I don't want to lead 2 servers.

2. It would segregate the regulars on the server. I know a lot of regulars like playing with other regulars and if there were 2 servers, it would separate them.

Maybe we should just throw one up for a short amount of time, see how it runs, and if it splits stuff up too much, kill it. People will come back.

Ok gonna elaborate more on my opinion here.

If this server were to be put up, it will be less moderated. Not a maybe, it WILL be less moderated. We can't always be joining 2 servers. And we'll be dedicated to the original. GC will have to accept that it will not be moderated like this one is. And we aren't going to just give away admins for the sake of having admins.

This also means, more people playing that are cursing, screaming, yelling racist profanities, rushing ahead, griefing, and being all around E-Thug jerks which we don't like to support in this community. People playing may be less inclined to play on a server where people get away with more crap than the first server.

It also means regulars will be split up amongst 2 servers. Yes ours is full 95% of the day, and those extra people could join the server, however at any given time of day is it enough extra people to keep 2 servers full? I'm not entirely sure. We don't want 2 half-full servers plain and simple.

It means more work for Jackie, who has pretty much single handedly built the server to what it is. He handles the plugins, the coding, the changing of things. Can he/ does he have time to change things on 2 servers constantly? That's up to him to decide, but I've gotten the feeling its a no so far.

The current server is full all the time because of the different regulars who play at different times. The only way these will both get full is by getting a whole new batch of regulars that play on and know both servers exist to be able to jump between them when the other is full. That took a LOOONG time with the first server, it will again I'm sure.

There's probably more that I want to say, I just can't think of anymore right now. We could maybe give this a try, and kill it if it doesn't work out, it's up to Jackie.

Also just pointing out, map ended, about 4 of us left, server died. 0/20 right now.

Edited by samurai nightling

In my opinion I don't really think that we need a second server. Nightling does put up some good points as to the less moderation and I also side with him on the fact that I don't think we have enough to keep 2 servers full. Usually when I am on the GC server I notice who all is trying to get in and is on. From what I have noticed there really isnt all that many trying to get on while the server is full. The most that I think that I noticed trying to get in on a full server was about 6 different people over the course of a full campaign. When I try to get on and the server is full I wait for the campaign to end (yea that can be a bit) but always the server has spots upon a new map set.

If the financial burden isn't excessive AND it is possible to just carbon copy everything (specifically meaning as small a work load as possible for Jackie) I'd say it would be a worthy endeavor.

The server is #1. 2 servers might ruin that. But would it bring in more people in total?

Perhaps a trial run would be in order but only if it is not a ton of work to set up and run. I know nothing of running servers so would have to defer to the more knowledgeable.

Quick question. Can the l4d servers be setup in a way that if you join server 1 and it is full it can automatically toss you into server 2? Like we use to do in the past on our css servers.

Yeah.

http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=1211665

I am sure the burden would be heavier with another l4d server..but with all the new people joining, it seems inevitable. This plugin would help those that purchased a reserve slot to at least join a gc server and fill it.

A second server sounds like fun and Jack isn't busy at all! Hahah, jk jk... It kind of blows my mind how busy we have been lately, if it stays like this then possibly another server would be fun :) Even now I noticed that a lot of people who can stay in spectate, stay in spectate for at least 20-40 minutes. That means no one is getting in for a long, long time.

L4D doesn't have a good reserve slot thing like CS does where it just kicks the person with the lowest time on the server. The thing I have on there just keeps members in the spectator slot whereas a non-member would be kicked for occupying the spectator slot.

The problem with increasing the amount of players on the server is that the server is pretty unstable as it is at 22 since the game was really designed to support only 8 players, not 20+. Plus I have a ton of other plugins on the server just to manage it and having a ton of plugins on the server makes it even more unstable, but I kind of need those to keep the water flowing so to speak.

Is the server full of members all the time? Seems like the reserve would kick people out for a member.

What about increasing player count by a few slots on the server we have?

there's like 12 spectator slots now lol and its still kicking for spectator slot reservations

Edited by TheTokenBlackguy

I am sure the burden would be heavier with another l4d server..but with all the new people joining, it seems inevitable. This plugin would help those that purchased a reserve slot to at least join a gc server and fill it.

This is my thinking as well. Unless we can make it so that reserve slots actually reserve a spot (not just the ability to sit in spec) I think we'd need a second server or people will start dropping out in general. I've only recently joined the community (and only because of the l4d2 server) and it's hard to justify sticking around when it's hard to get on.

Bottom line, I think that the active regular community could grow if we get another server, or it could stay about the same with just the one.