Epox nforce2 mobo!

Gunman

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GameVe is a bunch of gimps. I ordered the asus A7N8X and a case and power supply and paid like 25 bucks more for a good power supply, but my power supply didnt come. I called them and they told me it was in the package and never sent me another one.

Im currently using 266DDR. fsb is supposed to be 133 on the 1800+. I kept the bus and ram in sync and got the fbs up to around 145Mhz with not any kinda special cooling except for 3 case fans and a dragon orb cooler. I think my ram is what was holding me back, so if you have DDR 333 you should be aight. Also you gotta watch versions of the +1800 you got, is it palimino or throughobred? My +1800 is locked and the mutliplier is unchangeable unless I want to mess with chip and a no. 2 pencil.

Actually, all CPUs (AMD Athlon XP or Intel P4) ship locked unless you are lucky and get one of the engineering CPUs (unlocked for testing but aren't supposed to be shipped). And to overclock all the Athlon XPs you need more than a pencil (like you could for the Durons) but not much more (except for the 2100+). You can buy the unlocking kits for about $16 right now and basically it follows the same principle as the pencil except you need to use some conductive silicon paint (part of the kit). Also, for the 2100+, I have seen that the only way to unlock it is to actually do some dremel work on the cpu.

Also, the more you increase the multiplier, the more you have to be careful about the voltage and tweak that as well.

As for the P4 CPUs, so far, I haven't seen anyone successfully unlock them but they also have more overhead free so OCing them by changing the FSB speed doesn't add a considerable amount of heat.

Well, based on the link Playaa gave to verify the CPU, I seem to have a regular 1800+. I ain't too upset as I got more for my 2100+ then I paid for this and I can up to a 3000+ later without having to swap out mobo's now.

I will let you know how it handle's having the fsb OC'ed on it.

The best procedure regardless of how you cool it is to OC it in small increments. Up it a bit, use it for a bit. If it is stable, bump it up a bit more. When it starts getting unstable, drop it back down a bit and you are good to go.

(edited)
ROosTEr,Apr 20 2003, 07:18 PM] I think stepping is the increments you can overclock the fsb in.

Thats not what a stepping is at all... A stepping is a revision of the manufacturing process. There has been 4 different cores already for the Athlon XP series. First we had the Palimino(sp?) which was .18 micron , Then we had the Thoroughbred which was .13 Micron, Then the Thoroughbred-b which was nothing more than a redefined .13 micron core, then we have the Barton which once again is a redefined core with but this time with 512K cache. The new 1700+ and 1800+ overclock so well because they are now built on a process that is yeilding far greater speeds than those listed above. When they both came out they were Palimino core cpus, which in turn were .18 micron and had little headroom for overclocking. Now they use a core that has reached speeds of 2800+ ( Thoroughbred-B core). So a lowly chip like the 1800+ has plenty of headroom to work with. Nothing is garenteed when overclocking. MANY MANY things come into play. Just because it is a "downgraded 2600+" does mean it wasn't downgraded for a reason. Its called "bin sorting". I'm not at all saying that they are all bin sorted because what i have heard about the 1700+ JIUHB is that they overclock like mad. If u don't read up on how to overclcok then i would say u will be than likely upset when it won't do 2600+ at default voltage and your ram,pci,and agp are running funny because they are outta spec.

Edited by RiZad

u are thinking about 1Mhz increment fsb STEPPINGS. which means u can up the fsb 1Mhz at a time. Back in the day u only had preset speeds aka 100Mhz, 112Mhz, 133Mhz, 140Mhz, 150Mhz

Ok got mb and cpu today. It's only DDR ram...I don't have any DDR ram plus I don't have any heatsink for cpu till tomorow.....But this is all ok cuz a quick trip to the local computer place and Boom Stick of 512, 333 DDR ram and pos cheep heatsink to tide me over till tomorow. Yep I'm posting this from a XP 1800 and new mb and HOT DAMN MY GEFORCE IS RUNNING AT 4X WOOOOOOOT

Ok, just OC'ed the CPU from the stock 1.53GHz to 1.62GHz by OC'ing the fsb from 133 to 140. I originally bumped it up from 133 to 134 and went from 1.53 to 1.55...ok, I am too impatient so I did it again with this bigger jump. I will run it like this for a day or so to look for instability and if not, I will start incrementing it again in 1-2 step jumps.

Currently, the CPU temp is the same as it was before. Also, I have PC3500 RAM so my RAM will be fine.

you monitor the temp by installing the utility that came with your mobo. There should be a program on the motherboard disc that will show you voltage, fan speeds, mobo and cpu temps

Ok, I am extremely happy now. I have the FSB set to 150MHz and I am now running at 1.73GHz. I have run 3dMark2k3 to give it a bit of a stress test and I have noticed no significant heat changes (and scored a 4304 to boot :D ).

Slappy, I have looked around but can not find a good (and credible) article that gives the average CPU temperatures for different processors. When I was running my CPU with the Thermaltake Dragon ORB3, my average temperature was around 45 degrees celcius, during peak the temp could hit 60 degrees. The AMD's are supposed to be able to function normally up to 70-80 degrees Celcius but I wouldn't want to let them get that hot. Mine (with the Koolance water-cooling) has been staying constant around 30-32 degrees Celcius.