New Computer Build

Demoner

I'm looking at building a new computer. I don't need a monitor, keyboard, or mouse for sure. I may try to use my current case I have pending on how good of a deal I can get on a case. I currently have a full-tower Thermaltake that is extremely massive. I am looking to spend in the 500-600 dollar range. Right now I am thinking I will reuse my current harddrive as well. Let me know your guys thoughts. I haven't build a computer in 5 years so I am a bit out of date with things.

(edited)

If we're talking about replacing the motherboard, processor, memory, graphics card and power supply, that's a really tight budget for upper-mid range performance to last you a while.

Without the power supply, I pieced together some parts, and for just under $600, you could get:

Intel Core i5 2500k (unlocked multiplier=free and easy overclocking)

ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

EVGA 01G-P3-1460-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

This would be a rock solid bang-for-your-buck set up. The only potential problem is if your power supply needs to be replaced as well - set aside another $100 or so for that.

Edited by boiler

(edited)

I should add what I am currently playing on

Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 500W ATX12V SLI Ready

E6300 Core 2 Duo 1.86Ghz

Video Card: I am not sure I have to check once I get home

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6

OCZ 2x 1gig DDR2 sticks

Windows 7 x64

Western Digital 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

I am looking for something that I can play SWTOR at max graphics and when Diablo 3 comes out to be able to play that at or near max graphics as well.

Edited by Demoner

Intel Core i5 2500k: 95W TDP

Z68 chipset: 6.1W TDP - maybe 10-15W total for the MB

GTX 560: Ti - 170W TDP

Memory: 10W-15W

HD: 10-15W

So at the heaviest of loads you'd be sucking maybe 350W off the mains- your power supply should be fine unless you wanted to do SLI in the future. If you prefer AMD to nVidia you could do a 6870(A bit cheaper than the nVidia 560 Ti, 150W TDP, and a bit slower) or a 6950(a bit more expensive, a bit faster, and a bit hotter than the 560 Ti).

Make sure your current PSU has the current plugs for a new video card and motherboard. I had a good 620w Enermax but it lacked the plugs for my video card when I upgraded to the 6970 so I put it into a lower end system for my son.

You may be in the need for another one but it may be worth waiting and testing out the new build with what you have first. 500W is on the low end of what I would recommend for a PSU these days.

Edited by ZeroDamage

(edited)

Please note: the graphics card I recommended is a GTX 560, NOT the GTX560 Ti. The Ti's run around $220-250 (the one I listed was about $180), which would have put him over budget. I don't think there is a big difference in performance. The reviews for the card I listed indicated it can run SWTOR at max.

I believe that the 560 requires one 8-pin PCIE connector, which I doubt your current PSU has.I think I would lean towards getting a new PSU as well. Corsair is my personal brand of choice, and if you're going to buy a new one I would say TX750 would be the way to go. You could get away with a 650 though if price is a big concern.

Edited by boiler

Oh sorry boiler, can't read apparently. But yea the 560 is just a 560 Ti with 48 cores disabled/8 shaders disabled, it sits close in performance. The video card you posted requires two PCIe 6pin power cables, which his PSU has. Its an Antec SmartPower as well, a good brandname and line.