FFO 2013 - Formative Work

Flitterkill

• 4 weeks later...

If there is a FF2013 (and if the world is still around) I will attend. By the way, you can all thank me, I was the one who shot Jackie in the neck in 2007 with a paintball. I did apologize, but I didn't really mean it. I will be traveling from Sunny Southern California, so I think I may win for the greatest distance traveled. Eat it Lousiest.

Shaftiel

lies! WA if further from OH :P

Hmmm... seems you live 13, only 13, miles farther away from Fragfest than me. Whatever. Just for that I am going to shoot you in the neck with a paintball.

Shaftiel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think we should start taking names of people who think they might be able to attend somewhere in October and then start reserving spots sometime early next year...probably February or March?

Should give us some kind of idea what kind of things we need to sort out ahead of time...then if I'm able to go, all the new bloods can finally get the chance to meet me...and be sorely disappointed because they would be expecting someone taller and... cooler looking.

But, if you've seen that picture I linked in that other topic, you already are disappointed, lol.

Oh yeah, Lousiest is going to be drinking this FragFest whether he likes it or not, then somehow mysteriously own everyone's face in CS on that dinky little laptop if he still has it.

One thing I was thinking about though, some of the old regular FFO guys who set up everything havent even really posted in here. Specifically Fatty and Yermother. Who specifically was in charge of setting up the whole lan stuff and all the wiring and routing thats involved? Cuz I don't know how many people who are wanting to go have the capabilities to do all that stuff and the time to get there a day ahead of time to set it all up. I know I don't know crap about setting up a lan. Who going does?

GC Board Member

Fatty's in the loop and looking forward to it. M0m is poked regularly for server stuff and still tosses the occasional post here and there. Catch'em if you can in Diablo 3 - both are playing it. Renegade possesses the FFO infrastructure, what there is of it, and is getting me pics/inventory soon. I can say we've got the hardware to do everything we need to do for well over 150 people. I think we're safe.

Setup happens post-golf. Late afternoon/evening Thursday. Not a big deal.

All is well. There will substantial planning, call for volunteers, etc. Two locations currently in play.

You are right though, very little written down re: supplies, past planning, etc. This is changing now.

Was/am hoping to throw out the call to arms/announcement simultaneously with relaunch of ffo website, teeshirts, upgraded forums, etc.

Awesome. I just know that stuff was always kinda behind the scenes things, and I didnt really know who handled it. But glad to know it should all be taken care of. I'm hoping my wife will be willing to let me go next summer. I asked if her and the baby would want to go, but she said unless its somewhere interesting she doesn't want to be bored for a whole weekend lol. But it sounds like she's ok with me going.

I'm hoping my wife will be willing to let me go next summer. I asked if her and the baby would want to go, but she said unless its somewhere interesting she doesn't want to be bored for a whole weekend lol. But it sounds like she's ok with me going.

Man...if I were a meaner person, I would have made a joke at your expense...

kljhfLKSHFLSDFSDHFLKHRIWLEUHFLKJFDLSKjHF

One thing I was thinking about though, some of the old regular FFO guys who set up everything havent even really posted in here. Specifically Fatty and Yermother. Who specifically was in charge of setting up the whole lan stuff and all the wiring and routing thats involved? Cuz I don't know how many people who are wanting to go have the capabilities to do all that stuff and the time to get there a day ahead of time to set it all up. I know I don't know crap about setting up a lan. Who going does?

step 1: Buy alot of cat5 cable

step 2: ???

step 3: You have a LAN

GC Board Member

I think we can improve on that...

Table switches: 13.6 Gbps capability each. 48 ports on these but we'll divvy evenly among the switches. Ideally no more than 24-30 computers per switch.

Have 5 of these (that's 240 ports total) and these will jack into the...

Core switch: Gigabit switch to be determined. Table switches can take 2 Gbps inputs each. Game servers and internet tubes jacked in at the core of course.

WP_000797.jpg

Why not gigabit for everyone at the tables? Limit the mischief. Also, gigabit switches have yet to enter the realm of "cheap"; at least good ones with 24 ports or more...

What we can provide as far as internet bandwidth? Venue choice and begging ability will determine that.