[SUGGESTION] Smarter tank buy algorithm

paroxysm

The transformation process seems kind of slow and I'll be honest, having to wait till you're spawned to become the tank is kind of a turnoff.

Having to wait until you're spawned prevents potentially spawning outside the level, in undesired places, or right in front of the survivors. It's sort of a "choose your own tank spawn".

(edited)

This feature is still bugged, just spawned 3 tanks and they're stuck in the queue, it never even tried to spawn me.

Found bugs :

• At times, spawning a tank does nothing, it just tosses into the queue.
  • It seems to only process 1 tank at a time, this means that if anyone else buys a tank, they have to wait for any previous queue'd tanks to be spawned first.
  • At times the person trying to be spawned as a tank is a survivor or even a spectator. When you're a survivor, it keeps stripping you of your primary weapon constantly even if you pick up a new one, very frustrating.
  • The no rage bar idea, yeah, kind of exploitable. Someone can just buy a tank then chill with it some where far where he can't reached. This becomes a huge problem on maps that depend on tanks dying to proceed to the next chapter such dead air, swamp fever, no mercy,... finales.

Pros :

• You get your own tank, so pros rejoice.
  • You get to control where you spawn as a tank, be it the middle of a rocket jump or to flank weak survivors.(Btw this is incredibly powerful strategy)
  • Easy to coordinate multiple strategic tanks at once for a mega onslaught.

Edited by paroxysm

Any oddities since you last posted? I ended up rolling out a hotfix around when you made your first edit to your post Parox which should fix bullet point 1 and 3.

The processing one tank at a time is intended, by the way.

Plus, I'll think of a way to "fix" people camping with their Tanks. The lack of a frustration bar now is also to prevent that stupid multiple tank loss bug which is Valve's fault.

Yeah if we could get that rage bar removed it would be amazing.

anyone who plays a lot just waits and waits and the survivors wait because they expect a time run out. :/

But also I have seen the following too:

no music when the player is the tank so you just see a tank running full speed at you without warning

In some instances while dead and you buy a tank, it still will not spawn a tank, take your points and you don't become a tank later

In some instances while dead and you buy a tank, it still will not spawn a tank, take your points and you don't become a tank later

Do other people on the team also buy tanks at the same time? If so it selects the first person who has been flagged who has bought a Tank to be a Tank the next time they spawn in. It says this in chat.

Problem w/ processing only one tank is that the buyer can easily block out other tanks by just not spawning long enough to become one. This becomes increasingly frustrating when the tank needs to be spawned quickly say in a choke point or near end safe room. Having it that way is flawed imo.

GC Server Admin

Problem also arises when some people buy tank then go afk (sit in spec & their spot gets taken), as happened yesterday in finale of Dead Air - survivors were virtually aboard aircraft before tank appeared.

(edited)

It's still in beta, so there might be a different method to use for this too.

BTW, regardless of any faults.

i think its great and i love that it lets ppl know "tank spawned successfully" and other input it lists.

Do other people on the team also buy tanks at the same time? If so it selects the first person who has been flagged who has bought a Tank to be a Tank the next time they spawn in. It says this in chat.

and it has varied. for me it has happened where no one else buys one and just I do and nothing happens. I am VERY careful to be spawned in now before buying

Edited by fxsoap

only problem i have with it is that at some finales (like dead air), it's really easy for the tank to lay back and make the round last for more that an hour (which actually happened). So maybe put the frustration meter back for 'campaign' tanks (tanks that weren't bought with points)?

(edited)

only problem i have with it is that at some finales (like dead air), it's really easy for the tank to lay back and make the round last for more that an hour (which actually happened). So maybe put the frustration meter back for 'campaign' tanks (tanks that weren't bought with points)?

For the MAIN tank there should definitely be a rage timer. You know the one that needs to be kill in order for the progression to continue? I was a total jerk at the finale of No Mercy where I just chucked rocks at the edge of the building and ran away with ease/hide when they came after me. I hate to imagine this in Blood Harvest, Dead Air or even Death Toll... Edited by Jerkoff

• 2 weeks later...

How about instead of a rage bar, have something like a tank damage. Timing should be similar to not seeing a survivor but after not hitting a survivor or not being in view of one, takes a fixed amount of damage.

I'm suggesting this because being forced as a survivor to rush a tank who's waiting in an area with cars is.... unpleasant. Then yeah, finales as long as graduation ceremonies and the such. There needs to be some sort of reason/incentive for the tank rushing the survivors