Bored? Missing something?

samurai nightling

A lot of random luck I foresee. I join a full group of magic finders and barely got 2 rares from the whole act. Then I left and play single player and literally got 10 rares from half a act alone.

And yes, if it's the first time that character is killing the boss, is a %100 gurantee yellow drop. After that, they are just like any normal rare mob.

Gotta be just a rumor (or a bug) - MF works for everything, stated more than a few times by the devs I believe.

That said, we are at the mercy of drop tables and sometimes the roll can be pretty harsh regardless of what you've got for MF.

Did an Inferno butcher run last night, full neph stack plus my MF. All blue - a ton of them, but all blue...

Remember, MF is determined by while (i <= 4) { MFTotal += playerMF; i++; } MFTotal /= playerCount;

The devs also said in the 1.0.3 reddit interview that they know MF isn't working as intended, and that they are fixing it for the 1.0.3 patch.

Right now, the higher the MF, the higher chance of when a magic item drops, that it's a higher quality magic item. That's most likely why,

even with 5 stacks and mf gear on, you didn't see yellows. Of course, it could also be that the other players in your group (if it was a group)

weren't using MF gear, but with 5 stacks, regardless of what they're wearing, I would default to the first reason.

We've extensively tested the current system, like a lot of people have. People claim to see more when using MF gear, but to be honest, they're

also farming a lot more, so that's to be expected, but when you run around in higher mf gear, you'll find more level 60 items.

If you want to farm a really easy boss that can't hurt you, go to Act 4 crystal collenade, run pass the leah illusion, take the portal

if magdha illusion: Its only attack will be a green spit that it shoots out at you, and if you're standing behind tyrael, he'll eat it every time.

If zoltun kulle: It is a freezing/extra range mob. If you position yourself properly behind the portal, it'll get stuck in place, and the only thing

you'll have to do is move forward and backwards out of the freeze spawns, or however you choose to mitigate that damage. you can also just run

circles around the portal if you're ranged, and kill it that way.

These are just two ways to farm the high end stuff if you need to get hold of it. And, if you can't get into act 4 inferno, I'll create a game and invite

you to it.

There are also rumours that drop tables are dependant on the items on the auction house, but devs were very quick to state that it is not the case

and that bashiok was simply wrong. From simply trial and error, we can guess that it simply isn't working properly. But, realistically, look at the

other side of it. having a 200% mf only gives you a 0.00021% chance at getting a legendary/set piece. I imagine they set it so drastically low

because they expected players to use the auction house.

Respectively:

Legendary/Set piece chance: 0.00001%

Rare(Yellow) chance: 0.0001%

Magic(Blue) chance: 0.001%

While using MF gear, I believe, raises these chances, there's still a chance you won't get anything.

Unfortunately, this proves that the devs post in the 1.0.3 preview is not true, where they state "if you have 5 nv stacks, you're guaranteed two rare (yellow) items."

They said that they're going to be changing that, I believe, to 1 guarantee, but with the possibility to get more items off the roll, but right now, it doesn't seem to be

functioning properly. At the same time, higher MF rates have proven to also drop higher-quality gear. Which means, while you may not get yellows farming x mob, when

it drops a blue, it may be of higher quality than normal, but then again, it also may not, because of how drastic the chance rolls are.

Wow, great breakdown Sky.

Also, my head hurts now.

All this talk makes me and my LV 29 barbarian feel inadequate. I'm considering rolling a DH after I finish this current run through, as I've heard barbarians are damn near worthless at higher difficulty levels. Plus I keep getting Rare crossbow drops for DH, and it's annoying the crap out of me that I can't use them.

I have a demon hunter right now at level 33 and I've found it to be much easier than my Witch Doctor was at that level. I've literally killed bosses before they've finished talking. It's also been great for getting achievements. I got the ones for killing Belial without getting hit by his meteors or fist attack because I killed him in about 30 seconds. It's been super easy.