New Plugin Public Test

JackieChan

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to reach out to everyone and ask something a bit more difficult for everyone. I want to hold a 10v10 (or close to it) test. One team MAY not be able to participate in the class system...it would just depend on how long it would take.

Also, we did run into a problem with the classes in which at least one person was stuck playing Civilian for almost an entire campaign. I'm also reaching out to you guys on how we can tackle this issue. Besides volunteering to be apart of the Versus test, any suggestions on how we can remedy the problem have to be serious and thought-out as I've been thinking of ways to do this and thinking of ways those solutions could fail. I don't want silly suggestions or I'm gonna forum warn ya.

GC Alumni

Been thinking about it as well...

Current problem: Players who connect more slowly or type slowly etc. get stuck as the Civilian class.

Solution A
: Blow away class limits (or at least allow more of each class).

Lets everyone pick whatever they want,
gangnam
tf2 style

This would require balancing the classes a bit--we don't want 10 medics on a team, or 10 assault, etc.

Solution B
: Just semi-randomly assign the classes, perhaps so no one can be the same class two rounds in a row.

Soultion C
: Some combination of A and B? No # limit on classes, but you can't play the same class twice in a row?

Other solutions? Let's hear em!

Edited by Biggs

If we go with Solution A... (no limits to each class) here are some of my ideas for the classes to try to balance them with each other:

Assault gets:

a randomly picked 'assault' type gun at the start (ak47, m4, or scar)

Sniper gets:

a randomly picked 'sniper' type gun at the start (scout, hunting rifle, military sniper, AWP)

Medic gets:

unlimited medpacks (60s cooldown)

a deagle at the start--no primary gun

Support gets:

a free tier1 shotgun at the start (chrome or wood)

unlimited team fire bullets (5m or more cooldown)

can drop a single ammo pile per map

Civilian gets:

a free 'smg' gun at the start (mac10, silenced, or mp5)

a free random melee weapon at the start

unlimited random throwables (3m cooldown)

can pick up the medic's medpack, but healing players takes twice as long (not sure if this is possible, but makes it so you're not totally screwed if your medic(s) die)

I like most the idea of randomly assign the classes. You'll never going to know what you're gonna be and everyone got to learn how to be different classes, just not one of them.

This is gonna bring some issues, like someone pushing someone else that he's not "that good" to being the class assigned. But this is all about teamwork.

*edit Fixed =D

Edited by Biggs

If you don't go the random route, a simple solution would involve allowing the players who were civilians the previous round to have first pick at their new class. This ensures they don't play as civilians a second round in a row unless they choose to.

Had thought about trying that Sky. I didn't like that option because it will make the pre-round 'setup' time even longer, and I think it would put new players under the gun even more than normal, becuase they'll be slowing down the start of the round.

with a more team based play, you'll have more experienced players frustrated at less skilled players. it'd be great if you could like implement new steam id's being set aside into a tutorial pit where they'd learn all the classes =O

ok, i know that's not possible, but i don't like the idea of choosing. although i also don't like random since there are some classes that i just would not want to play. how about this for an idea: the civilians are mains and only they earn points at the end of the round. since the assualt team is trying to protect them. kinda like protecting the weakest links. I think it'd be especially good cuz then there would be absolutely no rushing by anyone. either everyone makes it or dies trying!

random is also bad if you think about it. imagine a foreigner/noob getting the medic position and NEVER healing. Totally possible. I think it should be like... hard coded that an experienced player get the medic position and not some joe blow who bought l4d2 the night before and just finished dl'ing it

and i'm not sure if it's been suggested, but why not make it expert campaign with beefed up infected? i've seen mods where charger runs like a bullet train and tanks glows different colors depending on what type of tank they are.

with a more team based play, you'll have more experienced players frustrated at less skilled players. it'd be great if you could like implement new steam id's being set aside into a tutorial pit where they'd learn all the classes =O

ok, i know that's not possible, but i don't like the idea of choosing. although i also don't like random since there are some classes that i just would not want to play. how about this for an idea: the civilians are mains and only they earn points at the end of the round. since the assualt team is trying to protect them. kinda like protecting the weakest links. I think it'd be especially good cuz then there would be absolutely no rushing by anyone. either everyone makes it or dies trying!

random is also bad if you think about it. imagine a foreigner/noob getting the medic position and NEVER healing. Totally possible. I think it should be like... hard coded that an experienced player get the medic position and not some joe blow who bought l4d2 the night before and just finished dl'ing it

and i'm not sure if it's been suggested, but why not make it expert campaign with beefed up infected? i've seen mods where charger runs like a bullet train and tanks glows different colors depending on what type of tank they are.

Yeah, i thought of this alot.

The bad thing is that i think that the choosing of the mains is not something that Jackie can code. If this is true we cannot guarantee that all the civilian will be mains. So...

But maybe i'm wrong and Jackie can make the code for the script.

PD: Maybe for the new guys could be something like if they don't have more than 20 or 30 hours playing on the server they will be civilians, if not, a random class. If everyone or more than 80% are new.... well, something is gonna made up in all of our minds.

Edited by mavC

If you can't choose who's going to be main, how about the opposite, mains become civs?

I know I'm throwing stuff (ideas) at the wall (jackie's brain) just seeing if any stick and jackie, you may not appreciate me throwing stuff at your head, but that's because I have no idea how to code plugins and what the constraints are, so sorry -_-;;

You can't select who shows up as the mains on the scoreboard, but you can choose which of the survivors, if any, contributes to the actual score, using prodigysim's beautiful left 4 dead 2 direct.

i don't quite understand this, so do you mean this 'direct' chooses which survivors at the end give points, or like with mains, points for traveling across the map? because if it's the latter, then that's pretty much perfect.

if noobdude's going to participate, so am i. i sporadically check the forums tho, so if possible pm me when it's test time? I'm always on steam, dude i'm talking to you!