Custom Campaigns

JackieChan

Even though I highly oppose to having custom campaigns on the server because I know that they'll empty out the server regardless of the newly added Steam Workshop, what campaigns do you possibly want to see on there?

1. They have to be on the Steam Workshop

2. Include a link to the ENTIRE collection, not just a part. If it's just a part, I'll probably ridicule you.

I was trying to see if I could put the Back to School campaign on the test server to see if I could get it to work and it does (wasn't being detected by the server for some reason, even when the server was being restarted).

Also, what do you guys think of the possibility of...mixing up Survival Versus and regular Versus on the server? I did do something of the sort on the test server to see if it will work, and I think it does for the most part. Would have to see if it works on the large scale... and yes, Survival Versus would be 10v10...buy system, blah blah blah.

Only reason I'm suggesting these is that I don't want things to get stale (thanks for nothing, Valve). Seriously, how long can you guys play the same maps over and over again.

Any custom campaigns that get picked would get advert-spammed on the 10v10 steam group to get people to download them so they don't get kicked out.

• Like 1

Not into Survival at all. Think it's super boring, that's just my opinion however.

Death Woods is pretty good imo, as is Diescraper Redux. Some insane choke points in that one, would be a lot of fun. But you'll really have to spam people to DL these. I was admin on another 10 v 10 that did custom campaigns. No matter how much we told people to DL or they'd get booted, it didn't seem to work. And I honestly think that is one of the main reasons the server ended up floundering. Every map change into that, 4-6 people stay, everyone else booted. And the inevitable 10 minute wait for people to DL. Also kills things at night when more foreign players are on. I think few of them even speak english. I've yet to see a server ever use customs in its rotation sucessfully. But if you do it, I'd only add 1.

(edited)

Another problem is custom campaigns often have updates. So even if you get a lot of people to DL it, if the map is updated, everyone has to DL again. Really makes it quite difficult to implement smoothly. Although I'm not familiar with adding customs from the workshop, do they auto update?

Edited by drag

All you have to do is hit "Subscribe" on the workship collection page and it downloads the campaign. The only stupid thing is server-side. It has to manually be uploaded. Valve only cares about thing client-side. They don't care about any server owners so they're pretty much SOL.

I'm okay with some survivor mode (doing helms deep or something on GC would be awesome). But I agree, only like 1 or 2 custom maps could be used with any hope of people sticking around, just sort all the maps into a collection on the workshop and at least most of the regulars will use them.

I agree with using Back to School, White Hole is also a good campaign.

Edited by TheReverend

You should have the server kick everyone before switching to a custom map, so it can have a message pop up for everyone in the middle of a blank black screen:

If you haven't already, go download 'suchandsuch' campaign from the Steam Workshop

I was trying to see if I could put the Back to School campaign on the test server to see if I could get it to work and it does (wasn't being detected by the server for some reason, even when the server was being restarted).

oh. my. god.

why valve?

so many beautiful custom maps w no downloader like css....or most other source engine games.......

Id probably upload one map first and try it out as well as spamming the notice so people download it and if you can set up one day of this week when most regulars are on so we can play it .

I would say most regulars play at 10pm est

if my brother would finish absolute zero; http://www.l4dmaps.com/details.php?file=7009

but i really don't think it'll ever be finished. I'm developing one myself; I spent a few years as a level designer, professionally, so

let's hope after dusting my editor off the shelf (it's dusty from 5 years of down-time) that I still have what it takes to make a great level.

Or 10; Or whatever number of maps it takes to create a nice, fun, big-game server campaign.

Just played skyscraper redux, very nice campaign.

im very pro custom campaigns on the server. The workshop has made them very accessible, and it seems the repetitiveness of the current maps are causing some annoyances.