The Petronas Towers

Height: 1,483 ft (452 meters)

Owners: Kuala Lumpur City Centre Holdings Sendirian Berhad

Architects: Cesar Pelli & Associates

Engineers: Thornton-Tomasetti Engineers

Contractors: Mayjus and SKJ Joint Ventures

Topping Out: 1998

Official Opening: August 28, 1999

On April 15, 1996, the Council on Tall Buildings named the Petronas Towers the tallest in the world, passing the torch to a new continent. Although the project's developers, a consortium of private investors in association with the Malaysian government and Petronas, the national oil company, had not originally set out to surpass Chicago's Sears Tower, they did aspire to construct a monument announcing Kuala Lumpur's prominence as a commercial and cultural capital. In the design of American architect Cesar Pelli they found a winning scheme--twin towers of elegant proportions with a slenderness ratio (height to width) of 9.4--that would capture not only the title but the public imagination.

Pelli's design answered the developer's call to express the ìculture and heritage of Malaysiaî by evoking Islamic arabesques and employing repetitive geometries characteristic of Muslim architecture. In plan, an 8-point star formed by intersecting squares is an obvious reference to Islamic design; curved and pointed bays create a scalloped facade that suggests temple towers. The identical towers are linked by a bridge at the 41st floor, creating a dramatic gateway to the city.

http://www.skyscraper.org/tallest/t_petronas.htm

...and computers

:P

bah sears tower, to me, is still the tallest building in the world... all they did with those towers is add a little decoration onto the top and they think its a big deal :rolleyes:

Everything is going on well here for me.. thanks Jiffy. :)

But it's gonna be sometime before I am going to get back into the US, if at all. My cousin tried to enter the country just 3 days back only to be detained and quarantined in the airport then deported back here. The SARS is spreading like hay fire here though it's very much kept hush hush by the government. Heh.

Guest Shertown-Pimp
Guest Shertown-Pimp
Guest Shertown-Pimp
Guests

dont get sick tra :(