Loading in L4D

MPG1770

GC Server Admin

I'm usually the last to load in, but I can only assume at this point it's either or could be both (Steam/windows update) that's making connection to server very slow. It only happens when there is a map or campaign change. By the time I do get in, the team is usually half way through the map.

This has only been happening for the past week.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

GC Board Member

New map = new assets loading. Before going to sleep for the night start defragging your hard drive - at least the one where Steam resides on. Depending upon HD size, computer speed, etc. it might take many hours - esp. if it has been forever since you've done it.

If you have windows7/8 it should defrag by default. I asked him to try playing on another server to check load time but I am gunna agree that it is probably computer optimization. Hard drive may be dying, stuff like that

GC Board Member

True, it should if he hasn't messed with any of the automatic defrag settings.

One thing I will mention though. If you fill your hard drive up at any time. I mean like almost nothing left for space, you've probably cut into the swap file at some point. My W7 gaming machine was crushed for space. Better now. While I was space constrained, things got ugly for load times of just about everything. The point is even after I backed some stuff off it was rough sledding until I did a full defrag. Not sure if I have the scheduled weekly defrag on or off upstairs or if I was just cancelling out before it finished working through it. All I know is that it sucked intruding on the swap file. (Note: swap file size managed by windows - one solution is to dedicate a small partition for that - opinions vary on viability of that - )

GC Server Admin

I'll try the defrag tonight. Got plenty of HD space and no, he's still very healthy.

Tried playing on other server closer to home and in off-line mode, slightly quicker but still the last to load in.

You need a new HDD! Just buy yourself a solid state drive and install that on there....then copy your entire steam folder over to the new SSD and that should help a ton!

GC Server Admin

I got a 2nd HDD installed on the computer - I've left it totally clean, no programs etc installed on it - would you advise transferring the steam folder on there - or can I copy and paste it over?

Another suggestion, earlier today you said all the infected were invisible to you. I had this problem when my video card was dying. But I also got a lot of BSOD and other random crashes too. I eventually couldn't pin-point the exact problem so just rebuilt everything and upgraded. Hope you get it figured out soon!!

GC Server Admin

Video card is good, never a BSOD on main computer or any other major problems, this is my baby, I'll protect him at all times - btw, I do not allow anyone else on this computer, if others do use it, it's always under very strict supervision