Steam problem

TheDude

Steam has completely stopped working. It happened since i had to back out of a dota game and closed it (Dota, not Steam).

After re-entering the game you can usually reconnect. However this time it said the dota network could not be found. This happens sometimes, and at this point steam was still working (i pm'ed a teammate i wasn't able to get back in and he answered.

So i decided to restart Steam then, hoping to be able to rejoin my game. Ever since i can't get it running again:

It keeps saying i'm not connected to the internet (which i am) or my internet settings aren't set up for using steam (i've never had that problem before).

even retrieving my account information doesn't work. It just gives me an error message saying Steam is unable to process this request at this time.

Given that i'll be in low priority for at least 5 days on Dota which is making me furious, i'd at least like to be able to get Steam up and running again.

Ideas?

(edited)

It didn't let me remove steam at first.

Through a different route i succeeded now though and it seems to be up and running again.

Edit: removing Steam removed all my games... Well that's just great...

Edited by TheDude

I know is a little late but you gotta copy those game files to a different folder before you uninstall! Also any extra stuff you wanted. I save everything I have down loaded whenever I do re-install steam which luckily has only happened once or twice.

Yeah that's a good point. I thought of it but was like "nah, it's not gonna delete all my game files just like that right? Of course it won't".

What about steam cloud? Even if Dude did reinstall his steam again, he should have his data saved in steam cloud and being synced.

I figured that as well. All my graphics settings are wiped clean and i had em set perfectly for my steam machine of a laptop.

A clean reinstall of software is never a bad thing, I think he will be ok.

Also it was probably better for him to take a break from his dota addiction.

It's already re-installed. L4D is next on the list.