Well Its about time

Tirtul

A USB headset does not use the sound card available on the PC, so Marvin's point is not to waste money on a sound card if you aren't going to use it.

The number of 'doohicky' jacks is just then number of dedicated channels (2, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 etc).

And please don't tell me you have a USB headset with that ridiculously expensive sound card :P

I am :( lol

I may be wrong here, but I've always been under the impression that USB headsets are much better than your cheap onboard sound, but they aren't in the same ball park as those expensive cards with an analog headset. You should make tirtul buy a good analog headset instead of a sound card and then give him your usb headset.

You may be like turnbull and be able to hear dudes walking on the other side of the map... that is, if you can hear over your teaming whining every time they get shot :rolly:

Edited by NOFX

There is a whole science behind audio, and a whole lot of that is bound by the quality of the equipment you have. At the end of the day something, whether the on-board sound car or USB headset, needs to convert the signal from digital into analog. The benefit of a USB digital to audio converter(DAC) is that the conversion is done away from the signal noise of the motherboard though it doesn't mean that the actual conversion is any good.

My journey into sound went: headset, diy non PC card headphone amp, and i am looking into buying a DAC in the near future.

Edited by farberio

There is a whole science behind audio, and a whole lot of that is bound by the quality of the equipment you have. At the end of the day something, whether the on-board sound car or USB headset, needs to convert the signal from digital into analog. The benefit of a USB digital to audio converter(DAC) is that the conversion is done away from the signal noise of the motherboard though it doesn't mean that the actual conversion is any good.

My journey into sound went: headset, diy non PC card headphone amp, and i am looking into buying a DAC in the near future.

Crazy :)

(edited)

well, I was only referring to in game sound. I'm not a big audiophile and didn't try to get into quality of sound. I was referring more to the idea that onboard soundcards used to make the games sound like crap. Not just audio quality. I mean the guns sounded like crap and the positional audio was simply left or right. Then, I upgraded to a decent sound card, it took some of the load off my CPU and the guns in game sounded like totally new guns. It was night and day difference. Not to mention I could hear things I could never hear before... But all this was back in the day about 10 years ago...

Then came USB headset that essentially has their own sound card built in them. Whether that sound card is a $5 cheapo or a $200 CREATIVE BLASTER MX PRO 2000 Ti + Tri force technology... I don't know. I've always assumed it was somewhere in the middle. Although now days onboard sound is nowhere near as bad as it used to be. It sounds pretty solid to me, but then again, I've never had any inclination to buy an expensive sound card to test against it.

Edited by NOFX

• 2 weeks later...