Situations/guidelines where admins use !teleport

Johnny

(edited)

I'll try to make this quick and concise as possible.  The video is long, but relevant. Bonus ban material at the end!

Death Toll, Map 4 - The Town.  Player on survivor team was death charged to the left.  I say "death charge" because even if the victim doesn't die, there is no way he/she can rejoin team due to the fence enclosing the area.  So the infected team can pretty much kill at their leisure. However, Mercman teleported the player to freedom ( and LIFE!) and this was an issue our team debated for the rest of the map.  Maestro rejoined midway through map and offered to resolve the situation by offering to teleport one of our players if he/she gets death charged when it's our turn.  But what if our team doesn't get death charged ( and didn't) ?

Our team had a major discussion about Mercman's decision:

1.This death charge often results in an inexperienced team rushing to try to save the person, allowing infected to use this to their advantage.  

2. Victim's death gives the team much needed points.

3. We were losing 500-900.

4. Unfair

I'm not calling anyone out.  Just asking for a critical dialogue and maybe set a precedent on future admin decisions for this particular action for the benefit of the server and gameplay for all. :)

Edited by MeJohnny
  • Like 1

The link is dead.  TO be honest, I'm not 100% sure what the admins are supposed to do because I am still a server newbie.  

But I think the infected team should've been given a chance to at least get more points out of the incap.  If they are teleported, then we lost that chance. It's not fair for us and the loss of points ( for tank, etc) can often affect the outcome of the final score.

• Like 1

I personally don't think it's fair when players are teleported from areas like that. That's the whole point of the start of that map is for the death charges. If one player happens to be unlucky to be on the receiving end of it why should the other team have to suffer? Plus unless an admin is in the servers 24/7 doesn't that make it a little bit unfair? I myself have died from charges from there plenty of times, both when admin are present and when they're not and I've never once been teleported. There's quite a few spots in the campaigns where it's glitchy that a player can be charged to or even hit by a tank, just all depends on your luck at that moment. If you can't get out of the situation in a regular 4v4 you shouldn't be able to here either.
Anyways that's my two cents, maybe two and a half. ^_^

• Like 2

wow.  any l4d player that's played for months even years knows that spot is death charge.  if u get charged there you're dead because even if your teammates shoot the charger off of you there's no way for you to go back to your team you're stuck there.  beth shouldn't have been revived/teleported.  you should've known better

• Like 1

the !stuck part is for people who are actually stuck like lets say in a tree... rock....in a building.  that area is a death charge.  its not for ppl who get charged in a area thats fenced off so you cannot join ur group.  u'd think some survivor would be able to climb a fence but in the game negative

• Like 1

wow.  any l4d player that's played for months even years knows that spot is death charge.  if u get charged there you're dead because even if your teammates shoot the charger off of you there's no way for you to go back to your team you're stuck there.  beth shouldn't have been revived/teleported.  you should've known better

In Mercman's defense he was told by two BOARDMEMBERS to teleport them out if this happens.

Yeah, just teleport them out if you can.

i teleport them to the other side of the wall

This isn't a situation where he should have known better when this is what he knew. 

• Like 2

(edited)

In Mercman's defense he was told by two BOARDMEMBERS to teleport them out if this happens.

Yeah, just teleport them out if you can.

i teleport them to the other side of the wall

This isn't a situation where he should have known better when this is what he knew. 

then no point in doing any death charges.  u might as well just revive other ppl who are death charged on dead center and other places where u can get a death charge.  in a regular 4 v 4 game you can't teleport people or anything like that so other than this is a GC server whats the difference?

edit : so all those other times when people got death charged there could've been saved?  I know i've joined the server before and for some odd reason I was stuck in the air... couldn't move around...no where near the floor or anything like that though i was able to see my teammates run away from me since they couldn't see me. I did the !stuck because that was a time when I was pretty stuck... <3 matt kemp.  long story short i joined as  a dead ellis and matt told his teammates to send me points so i can revive myself so yeah lot of <3 for matt kemp.

Edited by LadyYuri
  • Like 1

I have seen that as normal behavior by admins to teleport them out of their in that map. However, the map where you start on top of the church tower and can get charged off to the side behind a wall. I have also never once seen an admin teleport someone out of there.

I never thought about it before, but that is inconsistent.

(edited)

I have seen that as normal behavior by admins to teleport them out of their in that map. However, the map where you start on top of the church tower and can get charged off to the side behind a wall. I have also never once seen an admin teleport someone out of there.

I never thought about it before, but that is inconsistent.

i havent been around but when i used to play on gc for maybe 8-10 hours a day i never seen admin do that as well so which is why im like what? its a eye opener for me the fact that ive seen several ppl die/left there bc there was no way out and no admin to save them

edit : im not arguing guys im just wondering what's going on and since when did this rule apply to those who got incapped over that wall/fence can get teleported by admins to a safe location (into admins arms)

Edited by LadyYuri

what... you should not be teleporting people out of there and you should ban people who try to stuck out of there... that's totally different than glitching through a wall when getting hit by a charge

my opinion

• Like 1

(edited)

what... you should not be teleporting people out of there and you should ban people who try to stuck out of there... that's totally different than glitching through a wall when getting hit by a charge

my opinion

DING!!!

edit : actually ban ppl who try?  uhh isnt that a little bit over kill?  maybe a slap or 2 on the bootaye? uhhhhhhhhh.... a bit harsh dont cha think? LAWL!!!

then again your slaps aren't scary at all  ;D

Edited by LadyYuri

(edited)

Yes, the inconsistency of admin opinions and decisions about this death charge is not really a serious game breaking issue but it can often affect the final outcome of the match.  If no admins present, then it's a guaranteed death; but in the times I have played with admins present, they've never teleported anyone over.  Except this time.

I'm just saying that death charge spot is like the best part of that whole map and can be a game changer if scores are even!  Many times a team will discuss, plan, and hopefully execute a successful charge.  To dedicate time, effort, and resources to attempt one is worth it if successful, especially a main.  So for an admin to just teleport one victim out just feels like a slap in face for the opposite team.

Edited by MeJohnny

my opinion

DING!!!

edit : actually ban ppl who try?  uhh isnt that a little bit over kill?  maybe a slap or 2 on the bootaye? uhhhhhhhhh.... a bit harsh dont cha think? LAWL!!!

i'm not a violent person

Yes, the inconsistency of admin opinions and decisions about this death charge is not really a serious game breaking issue but it can often affect the final outcome of the match.  If no admins present, then it's a guaranteed death; but in the times I have played with admins present, they've never teleported anyone over.  Except this time.

I'm just saying that death charge spot is like the best part of that whole map and can be a game changer if scores are even!  Many times a team will discuss, plan, and hopefully execute a successful charge.  To dedicate time, effort, and resources to attempt one is worth it if successful, especially a main.  So for an admin to just teleport one victim out just feels like a slap in face for the opposite team.

I agree. We will work on sorting this out

my opinion

DING!!!

i'm not a violent person

i call lies

That was wrong!!!!!!!

That spot is old, chargers normally do charge to that spot so that survivor will get stuck and bleed/pounced/charged/burn to death. Using teleport is a BIG NO!! Even if we say he used pills to get up, it was not defined as stuck. Stuck is if the player get stucked in confined place, where no movement can be done by the survivor, but this was not the case, he was clearly moving (thanks to the pills), it's just that he go into that place by a CHARGER, NOT BY ANY BUG/GLITCH.

It was PLANNED by infected, no way survivor was "stuck".

This is bad, real bad!!

hate-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862507

I dont agree by this "unfair" decision at all. Planned action by infected team resulting to survivor being throw into odd place is NOT BEING STUCKED. Its been years since this place is known to L4D players, no one was shocked that the survivor went onto that place, because it's normal for survivors to get charged there.

Merc was just doing what was discussed in the admin thread before about teleporting people, so don't jump down his throat, but it is a good thing to bring up and discuss here.

I have never tped someone from there BUT I and other admins have tried to save someone and let them use the !stuck command over there.  Or if it's a main and they die they respawn if they get 30 points.  It's an interesting spot, imo.  There are some spots that people get charged or tossed over a fence when really they shouldn't be able to be and are stuck.  I don't think we should teleport people out of that area but I don't have an issue with someone using the !stuck command if their team actually manages to keep them alive that long (which I have seen happen maybe once or twice), but that is just my opinion.

wow. any l4d player that's played for months even years knows that spot is death charge. if u get charged there you're dead because even if your teammates shoot the charger off of you there's no way for you to go back to your team you're stuck there. beth shouldn't have been revived/teleported. you should've known better

I dont agree with this "unfair" decision at all. Planned action by infected team resulting to survivor being throw into odd place is NOT BEING STUCK. Its been years since this place has been known to L4D players, no one was shocked that the survivor went into that place, because it's normal for survivors to get charged there.

Then I take it you won't complain if you get knocked over a fence by a charge, knocked into the ceiling or spawn in the ground? That's also a common occurrence. Same thing. Different situation.

You should have just told us to watch the first 2 minutes. I'm not going to repeat what has happened in the video so I'll say this. He self-revived and so with that, he should be teleported. He bought up and was /right/ on the other side of the fence like another little area a map prior. Death Toll 3, anyone? The fence a player can get charged over and into a blank area? Hmmm~. Personally, I'm glad Merc made a judgement call because if you look at /precedent/, all players who have been knocked out of bounds either by charges or weird spawns, like in the ground, for example,(tanks) have been teleported to a fair location. This is just an odd case simply because it's the first of its kind here in this map but follows the same basic principle. Able player out of bounds=teleport. Incap player that stays incapped=left to die. Too sensitive. It was fair.

• Like 2

(edited)

i dont think this topic was about going down his throat but making things clear to all so that way we don't run into that situation again.

edit: unless..... ;D j/k merc <3

Edited by LadyYuri

Just wanted to state again unless there's going to be an admin in both servers 24/7 it seems fairly pointless to teleport people because they were unfortunate enough to be on the bad end of those charges. Otherwise people will be coming on here to complain that they pm'd so and so admin to come teleport them out but they never did and blah blah blah..... You see where I'm goin with this right? lol Either way I don't really care it'd just be one less thing for the admins to worry about and one less thing for players to complain about.
/smacks Peanut cause why not? :P

(edited)

HMMM. My opinion although not I don't care either way.  I guess this situation has to kind of beg the question.  Is this truly a death charge spot?  My opinion.....no.  The height isn't such that it instantly kills the player.  They are not going off a cliff or an embankment or bridge.  In fact the only reason a player would most likely end up dying there is because the survivors cannot "reach" them due to the fence and they cannot climb over.  I have had people glitch behind a wall or ceiling  etc. as pump just alluded to, a out of bounds area and we do teleport in those circumstances, this is really just the same thing.  The player is dying there, because the area is inaccessible, not because the charge resulted in a players death. I guess if there are no admins on they would die there, but thats true for any other out of bounds area where !stuck does not work.

To be honest I never have teleported anyone out of that area, but upon thinking about it, we probably should be.

Edited by zero0

HMMM. My opinion although not I don't care either way.  I guess this situation has to kind of beg the question.  Is this truly a death charge spot?  My opinion.....no.  The height isn't such that it instantly kills the player.  They are not going off a cliff or an embankment or bridge.  In fact the only reason a player would most likely end up dying there is because the survivors cannot "reach" them due to the fence and they cannot climb over.  I have had people glitch behind a wall or ceiling  etc. as pump just alluded to, a out of bounds area and we do teleport in those circumstances, this is really just the same thing.  The player is dying there, because the area is inaccessible, not because the charge resulted in a players death. I guess if there are no admins on they would die there, but thats true for any other out of bounds area where !stuck does not work.

To be honest I never have teleported anyone out of that area, but upon thinking about it, we probably should be.

i agree as far as survivors should be able to climb over that fence to help.  never understood why valve never put that in for l4d.  but that area again no survivor can climb a fence.  can't go thru the fence.  l4d isnt portal so they can't use the portal gun to go thru the fence... it doesnt have minecraft in it so they can't build a bridge over the fence.... it's not a glitch area.  its an area where survivors are meant to DIE, hence death charge area. 

• Like 2

Im not sure if the !stuck command in this server has the same description as in this plugin > https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=997744

I've noticed (especially when playing Dead Center) playing versus, survivors can get stuck and will be unable to move. Slapping doesn't free them and sometimes they have to wait for help from an infected player gracious enough to assist. A plugin like this was made here: http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=508657. However, its randomized location will spawn you way outside of the map.

This plugin will allow the user to type !stuck in chat and the plugin will teleport them a few inches away to help get them out of their predicament. It limits the user to only be able to do this twice on a map.

Based from this, it clearly says that !stuck command is used when the survivor is unable to move. As happened in the video, survivor got charged by a PLANNED action and it definitely is not coincidence. The survivor in the video was not stuck, as in stuck like in a 2x2 confined room (where he cannot move at all), he was clearly moving (thanks to the pills or heal?). He shouldn't be recalled to the admin position just because he was able to get up before dying on that spot.

I would have passed this issue if he just respawned after dying...