Suggestions for new cheap infected upgrades.

ctrlfrk

That thread got me thinking about this and there is something I'd quite like to see added.  The ability to alter the mix of uncommon infected that spawn passively on maps and during horde events. 

Like how no mercy has a 5% or so chance for scientists in hazmat suits to appear, and how the parish has riot police.

The uncommon infected are (from http://left4dead.wikia.com/wiki/Uncommon_Infected ):

• CEDA Worker /Hazmat/scientist (Immune to fire, randomly dropping Bile bomb )
  • Jimmy Gibbs Junior (1000 health)
  • Fallen Survivor (1000 health)
  • Clown (lures commons)
  • Mud Men (faster, blinds survivors with mud)
  • Worker Infected (immune to sound of pipe bombs (they have earmuffs))
  • Riot Infected (Immune to almost all frontal attacks, randomly dropping Nightsticks)

I don't think jimmy and the fallen survivors should appear, and riot infected should be more expensive. I'd propose these upgrades:

(Clowns and workers aren't that worrisome so they're cheap. CEDA workers and mudders actually can cause trouble, and Riot police are actually quite a problem as a survivor)

Some scientists! (10pts) -> 5% of commons spawn as CEDA Workers, unlocks More scientists!

More scientists! (20pts) -> 10% of commons spawn as CEDA Workers

Some clowns! (5pts) -> 5% of commons spawn as Clowns, unlocks More clowns!

More clowns! (10pts) -> 10% of commons spawn as clowns

Some mudders (10pts) -> 5% of commons spawn as mud men, unlocks more

More mudders (20pts) -> 10% of commons spawn as mud men

Some workers (5 pts) -> 5% of commons spawn as workers, unlocks more

More workers (10 pts) -> 10% of commons spawn as workers

Some Police (20pts) -> 5% of commons spawn as Riot infected, unlocks more

More Police (40pts) -> 10% of commons spawn as Riot infected.

These upgrades would also increase the usefulness of the 10point horde trigger upgrade.

For 150 points total you would max out at having fully 50% of common spawning as uncommon infected.

These upgrades are cheaper than saving for a tank, and will give new players a sense of actually making a difference in the map because they will see 'their' uncommons start spawning.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if this is even possible to do. I also don't know how it should interact with maps that already have uncommon spawning.

• Like 2

I had a little poke around and found this: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=109623 which seems to use 'SDKHooks' to turn some commons into uncommons. The code probably isn't usable as is, but it's fairly small and seems to handle everything. (Including precaching the models on maps that don't natively have those uncommons)

There are also a few cvars that might be important >< 

sv_infected_ceda_vomitjar_probability 0.1
sv_infected_riot_control_tonfa_probability 0.15

Otherwise spawning lots of CEDA will be a help to the survivors because they'd get free biles.

(edited)

Going to have to play passing a lot more then.  So are they actual fallen characters, or the zombies that usually carry a molly and are more easily killed with a melee weapon?

Edited by Lookback

Going to have to play passing a lot more then.  So are they actual fallen characters, or the zombies that usually carry a molly and are more easily killed with a melee weapon?

the later

immy Gibbs Junior (1000 health)

iirc, jimy gibs blinds you as well, whit motor grease/oil.

i think i read somwhere that he was meant to be fireproof thanks to the racer suit too

imagine a horde of fireproof high hp zombies... beautiful :D

I'ts interesting i find myself buying hordes more so than anything else out of habit but obviously only 30 commons come to attack and they are dead in 10 seconds due to fireworks or a spray and pray shooters

i would love to see more hazmat commons and or a timer as to when you can buy a horde again since last purchase considering buying another horde 10 seconds after the first will do nothing.

Fallen survivors are the ones who drop mollies and look like insurrectionists, right?

Yes.

I had a little poke around and found this: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=109623 which seems to use 'SDKHooks' to turn some commons into uncommons. The code probably isn't usable as is, but it's fairly small and seems to handle everything. (Including precaching the models on maps that don't natively have those uncommons)

There are also a few cvars that might be important >

sv_infected_ceda_vomitjar_probability 0.1
sv_infected_riot_control_tonfa_probability 0.15

Otherwise spawning lots of CEDA will be a help to the survivors because they'd get free biles.

Those convars only control if that uncommon has that particular item on them or not.