I can't see

Carlos

I can't see this going away anytime soon, but is there any way that biles can be less powerful than they already are?

It gets ridiculous when an experienced tank player is under control in one moment, and then the next moment that tank is getting slaughtered by all the gunfire. Blinded tanks are basically defenceless unless they're near hittables (cars,dumpsters,logs,disco balls, etc.) and survivors low on health, or if they have (almost) enough points to heal. If not, a blinded tank is better off just retreating or else it's health is going to be chipped off dramatically.

At least when tanks get lit, you can see your targets with no blurry vision holding you back. Heck, even in maps like flooded Hard Rain, Swamp Fever (remember that map, guys? :P), the Parish's sewers, etc., molotovs are useless since you can just extinguish then.

However, there is no getting rid of the blurry vision after getting hit by a bile bomb. Even when there are boomed survivors that are struggling after you've been hit, you're still unlikely going to notice them. Bile bombs don't seem to have weaknesses like the molotovs do.

If all the survivors are green and you're blinded as a tank, then the best choice you can make is retreat. Sometimes this works. This usually works in areas like Hard Rain's cornfield. However, in open areas where it's easy to be surrounded by the survivors, or even a couple of them such as the Death Toll finale, they can just chase and shoot you until you die. Even if the survivors don't chase after you while you're blinded, then you also have to worry about your frustration meter that is running out of time. You STILL need to do damage while you're blinded and are a distance away. By the time your vision recovers, the survivors will likely have more biles waiting for you. This is without mentioning the commons that cause further damage to your tank's health.

It's a lose-lose situation: Either you charge at the survivors blinded and get chipped off easily, or you run away from them to buy yourself time for your vision to return to normal while also emptying your frustration meter.

Let's also not forget how boomer biles are JUST 6 points. That doesn't really cost much for regular (non) members that play in our servers often. Let's also not forget how everyone else uses binds for the buy system. If you miss a throw with the boomer bile halfway in a chapter, it's not really much of a problem. You could just immediately buy another one quickly with your bind and blind the tank. After all, you most certainly can afford the points, right?You could do the same thing with molotovs. Even worse for the tank, you blind the tank first and then you quickly buy a Molotov and light it on fire (or vice versa) with this deadly combination.

It's almost not fun throwing rocks anymore since you're going to be an easy target for biles while you just stand there.

I prefer playing in full games with you guys. I don't play in empty games with the bots. I've had bad experiences knowing someone ( who loves bots) that spams boomer biles repeatedly when there is a tank available (which is kinda lame to buy with all the bots since it'd be too easy to kill, which will make rounds short :/ ) in these empty servers a while ago. Lol sorry, let me get focus more on the topic:

So, with all this in mind: Do you guys think that boomer biles are too strong, and that they're too harmful for the tank? Do you guys feel that the current price ( 6 points) is fine, or if it could be raised to a more expensive price ( like 15 points)? Sometimes, getting blinded as tank can take the fun vibe out of you when you're trying your very best to weaken the survivors. Surely, you guys don't deserve to have biles ruin your tanking. I'm asking you guys what you think because this topic isn't meant to be an idea that is supposed to benefit me only. It's meant for you guys to decide since you deserve to have the most fun experiences possible on the servers (including as being tank). Your opinions matter. Not mine.

Edited by Carlos

I'm going to let you in on some information real quick Carlos.

First off, the Boomer Bile Jar was made by Valve and the creators of Left 4 Dead 2. That boomer bile on a tank is supposed to make him blind, its just like if the survivor got puked on, that's the whole point. Deal with it.

This above fact and the fact that the GC servers are heavily vanilla servers with very little changes to core game mechanics, some damage and range have been upped but all standards are still in place, will lead me to believe that this bile on a tank will never change.

If you say you are an experienced tank, then you should be expecting the Bile Jars and Molotovs. I will not tell you tactics to avoid Bile Jars nor Molotovs but you can do both, even if you are hit by a Bile Jar you can hide, easily. As for commons hitting you, you can run in a tiny little circle to avoid them. The commons rarely hit you and can only hit you if you sit still for more than a second, so that's an unreasonable argument right there.

As for the lose-lose situation, you are completely wrong.

First off, the Bile Jar brings zombies.

Second, the those zombies which are still alive and should be because you have no reason to kill them since avoiding them is as simple as holding 'W' and running around in circles, will go after the survivors when you are no longer Biled, especially if other survivors are biled.

Third, I have personally biled a tank as a survivor and our entire team got wiped. I have also been on the other end of that as well, got biled and wrecked the survivors. It is only a small setback, get out of the line of fire and hide behind enough walls or an object so bullets do not hit you.

Fourth, when you are biled on, the survivors know your location and will generally focus more on you, which gives all your infected buddies an advantage, because most survivors are shooting the tank and nothing else.

There are plenty of wins on your side when you get biled, mainly the extra common the survivors deal with, they bring a horde for you, you dont even need a boomer nor do you have to buy one.

By the way, if you are throwing rocks you should almost always be on a higher spot than the survivors and out of their range, if you are throwing rocks while in sight of the survivors, that is your fault if you get biled because they spotted you.

The frustration meter is made to make you go in, or if you are good enough you can delay that.

Let me explain the point of the throwables: they are all situational and have their own advantages and disadvantages. They are not made to combat what the others do not.

Pipebomb 

Advantage: Great against a horde and eliminating lots of infected quickly after only a short build up time, mainly used for removing common off of a Boomed survivor. Can also stumble specials infected.

Disadvantage: Specials are unaffected as are some common.

Molotov

Advantage: Great for a quick barrier, a nice wall of fire to eliminate most common infected and place other specials on fire.

Disadvantage: It is just in a small spot and smarter infected go around. Takes time to reach full flame. Must hit ground to start fire.

Bile Jar

Advantage: Relocates zombies to another area/target; can blind specials; explodes on impact if it hits an infected.

Disadvantage: The zombies return to the survivors when its gone. It can cause zombies when there are naturally none. Explodes on impact even on survivors.

Each one has their own advantages and disadvantages as well as situational advantages and disadvantages which I won't elaborate on for fear that this post is already too long. You cannot make a game perfectly balanced, ever. 

For open areas: work with your team, strategize. This is something I see little of anymore when "good" players are on. They tend to think they are unstoppable and don't have to work with the team. When you get multiple people like this on the same team, its hilarious when all of you fail and the other team walks right into the saferoom. Sometimes, its better to not be that hunter and be the charger for that spitter. Being a "good" player is not just showing skill, its the ability to work with your team as well.

As for the points, well, I don't personally care.

Edited by MurderinClony
  • Like 1

First off, the Boomer Bile Jar was made by Valve and the creators of Left 4 Dead 2. That boomer bile on a tank is supposed to make him blind, its just like if the survivor got puked on, that's the whole point. Deal with it.

This above fact and the fact that the GC servers are heavily vanilla servers with very little changes to core game mechanics, some damage and range have been upped but all standards are still in place, will lead me to believe that this bile on a tank will never change.

Woah there, I never even said nor did I mean to imply that they should be removed for good.

Edited by Carlos

Reason you die quickly after getting biled is because no one your team is booming or playing as charger.  I usually get biled every time i buy a tank and thats the only time it makes a difference, if all the survivors are green and can see they will just focus fire you with aks and kill you in seconds.  Same for throwing rocks, other infected on your team have to be distracting or survivors will easily skeet all your rocks.  Personally i rather see all t2s go up in price and leave throwables the same, but I think its fine the way it is now.

Look at it this way would you rahter be lit or biled as a tank, molly deals constant damage while bile goes away after like 10 seconds.

Edited by VivaLaBrandon

If you say you are an experienced tank, then you should be expecting the Bile Jars and Molotovs. I will not tell you tactics to avoid Bile Jars nor Molotovs but you can do both, even if you are hit by a Bile Jar you can hide, easily. As for commons hitting you, you can run in a tiny little circle to avoid them. The commons rarely hit you and can only hit you if you sit still for more than a second, so that's an unreasonable argument right there.

As for the lose-lose situation, you are completely wrong.

First off, the Bile Jar brings zombies.

Second, the those zombies which are still alive and should be because you have no reason to kill them since avoiding them is as simple as holding 'W' and running around in circles, will go after the survivors when you are no longer Biled, especially if other survivors are biled.

Third, I have personally biled a tank as a survivor and our entire team got wiped. I have also been on the other end of that as well, got biled and wrecked the survivors. It is only a small setback, get out of the line of fire and hide behind enough walls or an object so bullets do not hit you.

Fourth, when you are biled on, the survivors know your location and will generally focus more on you, which gives all your infected buddies an advantage, because most survivors are shooting the tank and nothing else.

There are plenty of wins on your side when you get biled, mainly the extra common the survivors deal with, they bring a horde for you, you dont even need a boomer nor do you have to buy one.

By the way, if you are throwing rocks you should almost always be on a higher spot than the survivors and out of their range, if you are throwing rocks while in sight of the survivors, that is your fault if you get biled because they spotted you.

The frustration meter is made to make you go in, or if you are good enough you can delay that.

Let me explain the point of the throwables: they are all situational and have their own advantages and disadvantages. They are not made to combat what the others do not.

Pipebomb 

Advantage: Great against a horde and eliminating lots of infected quickly after only a short build up time, mainly used for removing common off of a Boomed survivor. Can also stumble specials infected.

Disadvantage: Specials are unaffected as are some common.

Molotov

Advantage: Great for a quick barrier, a nice wall of fire to eliminate most common infected and place other specials on fire.

Disadvantage: It is just in a small spot and smarter infected go around. Takes time to reach full flame. Must hit ground to start fire.

Bile Jar

Advantage: Relocates zombies to another area/target; can blind specials; explodes on impact if it hits an infected.

Disadvantage: The zombies return to the survivors when its gone. It can cause zombies when there are naturally none. Explodes on impact even on survivors.

Each one has their own advantages and disadvantages as well as situational advantages and disadvantages which I won't elaborate on for fear that this post is already too long. You cannot make a game perfectly balanced, ever. 

For open areas: work with your team, strategize. This is something I see little of anymore when "good" players are on. They tend to think they are unstoppable and don't have to work with the team. When you get multiple people like this on the same team, its hilarious when all of you fail and the other team walks right into the saferoom. Sometimes, its better to not be that hunter and be the charger for that spitter. Being a "good" player is not just showing skill, its the ability to work with your team as well.

Ok, I might have exaggerated about the part with the commons and the part about getting hit with the bile while throwing rocks. No worries though, I rarely get hit when I'm stuck in that rock throwing animation. I'm usually getting blinded while I'm trying to avoid the bile and the survivors are chasing me (who are about to throw it).

To me, molotovs are easier to dodge. At least you can see their brightness in midair from the fire, which will give you the warning that you're about to get lit. I feel like biles are harder to dodge since their hits can be unpredictable ( unless I'm likely missing something here. It's most likely a "me" problemYou have a helpful tip on how to dodge the biles more easily? Like just hopping around or something?)

Yep, you have a point about how survivors throwing bile bombs can attract a horde for them. Once the blinding effect wears off on the tank, they have to deal with it, right? Sure, but they can just easily eliminate the horde with their molotovs, gas cans, or fireworks. By doing this, the tank gets no horde in the end.

Plus, what about the bile bombs that get spammed the second after the tank recovers from his blurry vision? I don't mind getting hit by one bile. It happens. It can be unfortunate, but it gets ridiculous when you're forced to deal with another bile bomb on your face the moment you recover your vision.

However, like you said, you can just try to retreat using rooftops or safer areas for the tank when you're blinded; such as running around the drains in Death Toll chapter 2 or running around the rooftops/jumping down an alley below before climbing back up in Dead Air chapter 2. Honestly, I feel more safer when I'm on a rooftop far enough from the survivors' sight. At least then it will be harder for the survivors to chase after you with the biles, right? Just hope you're located at a decent area for the tank when you're blinded, and not an area where it's generally too open with barely any cover around. (Only mentioned the part about the frustration meter when the survivors are shooting down rocks and are slightly too fast to punch since they're all green. I know, this is a "me " problem again. I'll admit that).

Those 2 scenarios where those tanks decimated the survivors in SPITE of the biles: How many points did those tanks have? Were you and that other tank close to heal? Did you two have enough for a heal prior to being blinded? Where did those scenarios take place? Were there any hittables or water (which makes tanks slightly faster than usual) around? How unhealthy were the survivors? Were there plenty of red/yellow survivors before you two were blinded by the bile? Were they not located at an area that wasn't too open ? I ask all this because at least with all those factors, you at least have a chance to do serious damage to the survivors/ wipe them out despite the fact that you got blinded. Remove all those factors and the bile is most likely going to get the best of the tank. For the record, I NEVER said it was impossible for blinded tanks to wipe out survivors. It's just that it becomes more of a burden than it should be because they can just be spammed and your health can get chipped off dramatically because of it. If I have to continue dealing with it, that's fine. I'll still try my best not to let my team down regardless if I'm tank.

Yep, I agree with your advantages and disadvantages the throwables have in general :)

I get it. I'm not going to hold it hard against teammates when you're tank and the survivors aren't getting boomed. Maybe they're located at an open area, or at at an environment where it's challenging to go in there and boom them. I understand. It happens. It's not impossible to boom them, it just gets tough at times. I understand.

You don't care about how much points the bile costs? That's cool! You get plenty of points anyway :D

Btw you laugh at anyone (from that description) when they fail at all as infected? Yea, cool. That's the spirit! :P

Woah there, I never even said nor did I mean to imply that they should be removed for good.

Nor did I. I said they will never change.

Yep, you have a point about how survivors throwing bile bombs can attract a horde for them. Once the blinding effect wears off on the tank, they have to deal with it, right? Sure, but they can just easily eliminate the horde with their molotovs, gas cans, or fireworks. By doing this, the tank gets no horde in the end.

Well then this accomplishes what you want from the boomer bile points going up. Not only do they buy a bile jar but now they have bought a molotov, gascan, or fireworks crate as well. They used a boomer bile for 6 or however much it is and then added more onto it with one of those three.

Plus, what about the bile bombs that get spammed the second after the tank recovers from his blurry vision? I don't mind getting hit by one bile. It happens. It can be unfortunate, but it gets ridiculous when you're forced to deal with another bile bomb on your face the moment you recover your vision.

However, like you said, you can just try to retreat using rooftops or safer areas for the tank when you're blinded; such as running around the drains in Death Toll chapter 2 or running around the rooftops/jumping down an alley below before climbing back up in Dead Air chapter 2. Honestly, I feel more safer when I'm on a rooftop far enough from the survivors' sight. At least then it will be harder for the survivors to chase after you with the biles, right? Just hope you're located at a decent area for the tank when you're blinded, and not an area where it's generally too open with barely any cover around. (Only mentioned the part about the frustration meter when the survivors are shooting down rocks and are slightly too fast to punch since they're all green. I know, this is a "me " problem again. I'll admit that).

If you retreat to a high spot or behind cover, chances are the survivors won't follow you to bile you again, simply because they could be caught by other infected and hurt their team. 

The only time you will get double biled or even tripled is if you have committed your tank and are not falling back. To which the effects of the bile are not that bad considering you already have a survivor in you sight, and even when biled you still push after that one person. This is the same situation if you are not biled. You attack the group but always single out one player in order to get hits at least. This reveals your back to all the survivors that have split off and are already shooting you, regardless of a bile jar on you or not.

Those 2 scenarios where those tanks decimated the survivors in SPITE of the biles: How many points did those tanks have? Were you and that other tank close to heal? Did you two have enough for a heal prior to being blinded? Where did those scenarios take place? Were there any hittables or water (which makes tanks slightly faster than usual) around? How unhealthy were the survivors? Were there plenty of red/yellow survivors before you two were blinded by the bile? Were they not located at an area that wasn't too open ? I ask all this because at least with all those factors, you at least have a chance to do serious damage to the survivors/ wipe them out despite the fact that you got blinded. Remove all those factors and the bile is most likely going to get the best of the tank. For the record, I NEVER said it was impossible for blinded tanks to wipe out survivors. It's just that it becomes more of a burden than it should be because they can just be spammed and your health can get chipped off dramatically because of it. If I have to continue dealing with it, that's fine. I'll still try my best not to let my team down regardless if I'm tank.

I cannot answer any of these, asking me to remember such specific details is impossible. Though I will say this: if you are running into a completely green field of survivors, you will die. I assess the situation before I push in and will never attack with a field of green survivors in my wake. I sit back and throw rocks until my team opens up the survivors for a good hit or push.

To this I would like to say though: if you are holding back or hiding for a bit throwing a few rocks, most survivors will throw molotovs instead of biles. Let me reword that. If you are throwing rocks from a distance, which I hope you do, then the only people who will attempt anything at all will be the "good" players, those who know they can angle the throw and get the hit. Along with that, they will be throwing molotovs and not bile jars. Once the molotov hits and they actually hit you, then they pop a bile jar on you if you come down to attack.

It's almost not fun throwing rocks anymore since you're going to be an easy target for biles while you just stand there.

I'll still try my best not to let my team down regardless if I'm tank.

I'm not sure what your argument is for at this point either. For the first one you say its no longer fun yet the second one you don't want to let your team down.

You don't care about how much points the bile costs? That's cool! You get plenty of points anyway  :D

That is correct. Because no matter how much they cost, I will still play on this server. Points only add to the experience of this server, they don't make or break it.

Btw you laugh at anyone (from that description) when they fail at all as infected? Yea, cool. That's the spirit!  :P

And if you were to actually read this then you might understand what was actually said.

But let me reword that as well to be more clear: When everyone on your team is playing hunter trying to get a tank and wipe the team, its hilarious when the other team walks right into the saferoom because nothing is slowing them down because everyone is playing hunter and nothing else.

Nowhere do I say I laugh at infected when they fail.

Let me add this for closing thoughts too Carlos.

If you are concerned about letting your team down as a tank, then stop trying to be a hunter to get those three pounces and then a tank, only to get biled and come make this post. Play charger or spitter and get points for support for a tank that has more confidence.

Sadly you and a lot of the other hunters are only playing the hunter for points, and not for what he is really for.

Edited by MurderinClony

Let me add this for closing thoughts too Carlos.

If you are concerned about letting your team down as a tank, then stop trying to be a hunter to get those three pounces and then a tank, only to get biled and come make this post. Play charger or spitter and get points for support for a tank that has more confidence.

Sadly you and a lot of the other hunters are only playing the hunter for points, and not for what he is really for.

Wait, stop? I don't know what you're talking about. I think you're confusing me with some other players. I mostly use boomer. I use that class more often in comparison.

You want me to avoid becoming tank period?

Not really fair to say I only care about points. I only mentioned points in the bile's price, and how blinded tanks can still cause serious damage when they have enough to heal in open areas. That's basically it. I'm patient with getting points as infected. It's not all I care about.

I made this post because I heard some friendly members make some comments about "how the bile bomb should be nerfed." At least I ears words similar to that on chat. I wasn't planning on posting this thread before they said that. I thought I could help out, and try to elaborate on why it might seem a bit too powerful.

(Btw ignore those two quoted comments of mine where you were "unsure of this point in the argument." Those parts are trivial :P )

But yeah, thanks for trying to help out, Clony :)

Lying does help your argument you know Carlos?

According to the L4D2 stats pages hosted by GC themselves, you have used 1500 more hunters than boomers. Nice try though. I thought I would leave out how I skeet you quite often in matches.

But I am really curious if you even read anything I post to this forum, you like to jump to conclusions based off the first few words.

I gave you a suggestion, I never told you to stop playing tank. I said: "If you are concerned about letting your team down as a tank" and I gave you a suggestion on what you could do instead. 

I also did not single you out when I talked about points, I said "you and a lot of the other hunters" from multiple posts in the past asking for hunter points to be dumbed downed and the likes. 

By the way, if you focused more on arguing your point instead of making smart remarks, maybe you could get somewhere with me.

Edited by MurderinClony

I'm not lying Clony. I've been using boomers more often than hunters LATELY. I still use hunters, sure. When it's not necessary to use them, you're going to see me try to boom primarily. I like using both classes though.

I have been reading your posts in this topic. I misread parts, but I agree with your suggestions, especially the rock throwing strategies.

Anyways, I was already finished arguing my point after I was done with my 2nd post.

It's really not that difficult to get 50pts, nor does it take that long for experienced players to do so,  heck, even I can do it,  hence it's not unusual to have half a dozen tanks spawning at critical choke points. 

Bigger issue here than the  BILE  :  Maybe an increase in buying a tank (65pts with 40pts heal) would be more in order?  Then people would buy the tank and use it more wisely?

That's the luck of the draw - some maps are bad, but in all honesty most maps are pretty decent for tanks - and don't forget, with late spawning scripted tanks, most members will have amassed points for a couple of heals.

It's not rare that people buy tanks at beginning of certain maps e.g. Roof-top No Mercy :  charge, spit and boomer combos are lethal going down those stairs, same as Dead Centre at beginning - we've all seen it - 1 minute into game and there are tanks and the round is over - especially with early scripted tanks - Death Toll beginning - a few cars to choose from.

Death toll favors hunters, if your gonna nerf points then I would say make sky diver 4 high pounces, but against good/all members teams this is not needed.  It is only when you got a new player who stands still out in open and feeds the hunters that it is a problem with early tanks.  Hunter is the most punishing class for new players on this server, but idk how you would resolve this without hurting all member/experienced teams.  Me personally i just play as boomer and get my tank, I never knew you could see how often you spawn as an si, but now I know I spawned as boomer 12k more times than hunter so I guess thats that lol.

I could implement this.

Also, I was trying to see if I could find something relating to how long a bile jar blindness duration lasts, and I stumbled upon this cvar labeled "vomitjar_duration_infected_pz" ("pz" stands for Player Zombie).  It's set to 20 which doesn't seem right because I'm pretty darn sure it doesn't last for 20 seconds and the game itself doesn't give any information regarding what this convar does because Valve is lazy and doesn't add descriptions for what each convar does.  I would obviously need someone to test this with me because testing it with bots isn't a possibility...because they don't know how to throw grenades (thanks Valve!).  It's probably one of those convars that doesn't do anything and the vomit jar blind duration is hard-coded into the game or something, but I won't know until I can test this with someone, so I'd need a volunteer to test this out with.

Hey guys :)

This is my first post since i joined GC im not old player on gc but i met real veterans of l4d2 on this server.

I have some ideas about ppl who do boomers spamming on bots(when its like 4v4) for free points and about spamings biles on tanks.

-It would be more fair if getting points on bots get disabled atleast when less than 10 players ingame (its worked on the server where i was admin before).

-I guess Carlos was talking about bile price not their advantage or disadvantage..many times we had stacked teams like 1 team not doing good or have some new players or other team is full of members.the team who has more experienced players farms points easily(surv&inf)and they can buy biles over and over but other team cant do that and when they buy tanks with their hard earn points their tanks get biled over and over.so i would say increasing bile price may wok :)

These were my ideas and Sorry for my bad english :)

Greetings

Mr.House