Anyone play mmorpgs?

Zap

Just curious who else plays them? I played a lot of Asheron's Call, then Anarchy Online, then Dark Age of Camelot and I'm currently playing the beta of Asheron's Call 2. Do others in the community get sucked into these massive time killers like myself?

i used to play UO, but it became to washed up. I played DAOC for like a month and didnt like it. The game i would like to play is Shadowbane, I've heard about it since like fall of 2000, but they keep pushing the release date back.

Guest Vandread
Guest Vandread
Guest Vandread
Guests

My best friend plays EQ but I thought the game looked like donkey so I didn't like it. I used to play Ragnarok Online but thier server stuff is down because of company problems. RO looks kind of like Final Fantasy Tactics only as a free roaming type of game. Pretty good though. Personally I'm waiting for either Planetside or Final Fantasy XI (11) since it will be an online game as well as a release for console.

I played old school UO, before that horrible thing called Rennaisance ruined it. I played old school EQ too, before that horrible thing called Kunark ruined it. I played D2 later, before that horrible thing called LoD ruined it. I played all the old school games as they came about, but the demons that work at R&D always have to make some gimpy patch that ruins it. Now I play CS :P

Looks like not many people played the the OLD SCHOOL UO. I beleive its the most addicting game ever.

I remember I had that game when it first came out and I only had a 14.4 modem (I doubt I was even connected that fast). I went up in the woods with a friend and was killed by a snake and a jack rabbit cuz of lag i couldnt run fast enough. So I didnt bring the game out until a few more years later.

What shard did you play on Hambone?

By the time I quit, I had a two story L shape, lots of gold, 4x gm mage, 5 or 6x gm warrior and the nastiest PK ever. The PK was a gm mage with archery. I think I acctually got him up to about 35 short term counts.

Oh yeah, I used to play Diablo when it first came out, but then it became overran by cheaters. Never thought about buying diablo 2.

Wow Zap, I had no idea. MC Ranger is a huge MMORPG nerd, in fact we in Lose Your Life were in awe of his advanced character in Asheron's Call on Leafcull named Lomar Freewood. We recruited him and his friend Alex Zarran, mostly so they could come rescue us when we decided to randomly jump into an unknown portal.

As for myself I'm only a minor MMORPG nerd. I had Homerr, a level 42 sword guy and Brimly a level 37 Unarmed guy. I like the hardcore slashing and flailing combat, I'm not much on the magic stuff. I only learned enough to buff my weapons and portal around.

I've played the AC2 Beta and am wondering if they nerfed all the fun. AC1 had a weenie combat model and I was hoping they'd upgrade it, but it looks like they downgraded it. Character dev., trading, buying, selling seem odd too - they had a winning model and they tweaked it too much. AC2 sure is purdy tho, hopefully the Beta will highlight the disappointments of the AC1 community.

I tried DAOC but the combat was a toal turn-off, so I returned the game. I'm open to Star Wars Galaxies and particularly looking forward to Planetside. Planetside seems like the first "manly" MMORPG which may break the mold of the fantasy based genre.

8P)

I don't quite like RPG, but I used to play an MMORPG called Ragnarok Online, but it's currently closed now cos they are paying attention to the Korean retail. But it's really a cool game. Simple, cute. And i'm currently waiting for Shininglore to be released. I've played the chinese version of it and it's super cool.

Guest [DLM]->MP_Stinger
Guest [DLM]->MP_Stinger
Guest [DLM]->MP_Stinger
Guests

Ive played like 2 computer games a lot which are CS and the Baldurs Gate series, BG, IWD, BG2, and all the expansions those games are soo sick. Im lookin forward to IWD2. I dont know if those are mmrpgs but they rule.

UO is Ultima Online.

I played on Thistledown Ranger and I was a monarch of about 500-600 people. I was the highest ranked warrior on all servers for a long time until I quit at around lvl 85 I think. I played it solid for about a year before coming to CS.

I didn't like DAoC's combat either. I did get my hero to lvl 46 before quitting that. PvP was kind of annoying in that too. I still believe AC1 had the best pvp yet.

AC2 I have only played a little so far so I can't make a judgement on it. It's graphics are amazing and it's gameplay hasn't been bad so far. The skill system seems pretty cool though and I like that you can reverse your path at any time to change your character around without penalty. The crafting and merchants thing is weird. It's going to take some time to get used to that.

Raiden - AC2 beta is currently closed.

Guest AlphaTeam
Guest AlphaTeam
Guest AlphaTeam
Guests

I used to play UO but paying $10 month got to me....so I quit.

;)

To add on to Homer's post...

I played UO like a banshee for at least a year and when AC came out I pretty much gave up about 18 months of my life.

I was only a monarch for a short time but I was a major player in a large monarchy for a long time with a couple hundred followers.

I love mmmmooorrrppgss and can't wait for the next one. At this point AC2 was my next target, but after spending some time in beta I'm totally turned off by the shallow character development and weak combat system.

They should have combined the graphics of AC2 with the strengths of AC to come up with an incredible game, but it seems they have fallen short.

Shadowbane has some potential as does AC2 if they revamp the character development.

We shall see.

Shadowbane does have some potential, I agree MC. How much have you read about it? The more I read the more I like. What it sounds like is the perks and PvP of UO without the pain, and with stellar graphics. I can't wait, I will be playing.

Guest Vandread
Guest Vandread
Guest Vandread
Guests

None of the Forgotten Realms games except Neverwinter Nights can count as an mmorpg. They're just not designed well enough for it and I'm almost tempted to say D2 isn't either but there are 800000 people playing that tacky game so who am I to say.

Cont played RO? What class did you have? Mine was a level 32 Swordsman till the server was shut down.

Guest UberNewb
Guest UberNewb
Guest UberNewb
Guests

I bought EverQuest to break my Diablo habit, and I bought CS to break my EQ habit... I don't think I'll ever kick the CS habit, though I'm like that guy who does a little too much of his favorite addictive substance and ends up freaking out. I'm so bad at CS it hurts. :lol:

Ah well, you guys at least love me for the stats.

Uber

I played DAoC with my guild for SB. We are planning on playing SB for sure. I just hope it turns out alright because it keeps getting delayed. The latest is that it's delayed until February 2003 or so. It sucks having to keep waiting forever. Especially if AC2 beats it to the punch it's going to make it harder for SB to get a decent community.

The massive PvP world is a awesome concept though.

I just got the AC2 beta yesterday its pretty fun although im still in the newbie area... darn Red Phytos wasps....THe teaching stones are just telling me how to upgrade skillz.

Zap my character is Zeabos on the Blue server! Which one you on?