back again sound problems

Kurtz

(edited)

Ok yesterday im playin cs on a cd required server and my sound starts to screw up in the middle of game

i rebot and the problem continues

The problem

-no or very low footstep

- gun and nade sounds are gone or very very low

things like bullet casings hitting ground are normal and nades bouncing off walls or ground are normal but explosions are very low

no seperation in headset(cant tell where sound is coming from it just fills both ear pieces)

-sound at times is loud then fades away

-sound outside cs is messed up also(intro into and out of windows is fine but the clicks when selecting programs is very low.Music plays ok but the range on volume control seems off

-voices in cs and teamspeak are low and muffled

what ive done sofar

-updated drivers on sound card and motherboard

-took my current soundcard(audigy gamer) out and put my old one in(sblive) same thing happens so im back to the first one.

-tried pluging headset into dif. usb port

-then finally just reformated again and did the above steps again

-redid config in cs

any ideas

I have

p4 2.8

400w power supply

gigabyte p4 sis chipset ga-8sg667

audigy gamer

hdd western dig. 80gb

memory 512mb ddr pc3200 400 mhz

ive had nothing but problems since this lan and ive reformated twice.

Edited by Kurtz

Guest Mossad
Guest Mossad
Guest Mossad
Guests

delete your cs config and make a new one, you could of alt tabbed or something. Sometimes setting get changed and everything gets all screwy

Check your Sound Blaster configuration to make sure you aren't using environmental effects. I've had similar problems when using the piece of crap Creative Labs utilities to play with the equalizer. I eventually had to manually reconfigure everything back to "default" since their "restore default" button doesn't work.

Although, that doesn't explain why it would continue to happen even after a complete reformat and reinstall.

When you mean reformat, you DO mean clean out the hard drive and reinstall windows from CD, right?

my only advice...get another pc and don't ever take it to a lan party.

since your problems persist through formats and reinstalls it seems like it can't be anything but a hardware issue. Is it possible your power supply got frazzled? or mobo got messed up?

Check your Sound Blaster configuration to make sure you aren't using environmental effects.  I've had similar problems when using the piece of crap Creative Labs utilities to play with the equalizer.  I eventually had to manually reconfigure everything back to "default" since their "restore default" button doesn't work.

Although, that doesn't explain why it would continue to happen even after a complete reformat and reinstall.

When you mean reformat, you DO mean clean out the hard drive and reinstall windows from CD, right?

no effects and yes a clean install from disk

my only advice...get another pc and don't ever take it to a lan party.

since your problems persist through formats and reinstalls it seems like it can't be anything but a hardware issue.  Is it possible your power supply got frazzled?  or mobo got messed up?

i just spent 1000 on this maybe 6months ago.I would get more satisfaction breakin this into a thousand pieces and giving computer gaming up rather than spend more money on somthing that should last longer than 6 months :bang:

everything in the device manager says working properly

Hmmm, then its probably a hardware issue.  Have you tried putting the sound card into a different slot on your motherboard?  Possibly one that you know is working?

ok tried another slot and got no sound at all.then i took out my sound card and ran it without it and i get sound but its runnin the same way with the same problems as above and this is without a sound card

i just spent 1000 on this maybe 6months ago.I would get more satisfaction breakin this into a thousand pieces and giving computer gaming up rather than spend more money on somthing that should last longer than 6 months :bang:

I can understand that frustration....however since it's only 6 months old even if you built the pc yourself you could probably send the damaged part back for a new one....even though most places say they won't do that after warranties are up....if you put up a big enough fit or are nice enough (try nice first, then fit) you can get your way.

Depends on the model computer. If it was a build-your-own type computer, you hit DEL as soon as the first screen comes up (I just keep hitting it every second until it does). Other computers use the F1 or F2 key.

Once you get into the BIOS, it's keyboard menu driven.

The fact that you get sound w/o a soundcard confuses me. Where are you plugging your speakers into? If you haven't plugged them in anywhere yet still get sound from them, I'd call an exorcist.

Depends on the model computer.  If it was a build-your-own type computer, you hit DEL as soon as the first screen comes up (I just keep hitting it every second until it does).  Other computers use the F1 or F2 key.

Once you get into the BIOS, it's keyboard menu driven.

The fact that you get sound w/o a soundcard confuses me.  Where are you plugging your speakers into?  If you haven't plugged them in anywhere yet still get sound from them, I'd call an exorcist.

it does have onboard sound and ive always used headsets no speakers and they are usb connects

ok i got into the bios and the only mention of audio is in the intergrated peripherals and this is what it has

ide1 conductor cable auto

ide2 conductor cable auto

on chip primary pci ide enabled

on chip secondary pci ide enabled

ac audio 97 disabled (enable says allow ac97 to autodetect)

usb controller enabled

usb legacy support enabled

onboard serial port1 3f8/irq4

onboard serial port2 disabled

onboard parallel port mode 378/irq7

ecp mode use dma 3

game port address disabled

midi port address disabled

irq10

the only mention of audio is the ac97 should i change that or leave it

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
(edited)

Are you getting this problem when using the USB headset? I do not believe they use the sound hardware on your system (unless the usb being plugged up is only for software config of the headset, like mine). So the problem may be the headset or a usb problem rather than the sound card. Try normal sound from the sound card and see if that does it.

AND according to your bios stuff above, you onboard sound is off (leave it). Ac97 was your onboard sound. GJ on that one. Clarify the above for us.

Edited by zerodamage

its a plantronics dsp-500 usb connect ive used them since i got this computer and have never had a problem.

for my other keyboard it has an adapter from usb to the other plug in conection.Is there somthing like that for a headset that will plug right into the soundcard.

thx

1) usb head phones do not use the hardware soundcard. Everything is generated in windows.

2) I had the exact same problem about 9 months ago using an analog headset and onboard sound. My problem? The headset had a short. In game, any sound that was directly in front of me or behind me was muted very low but peripheral sound to the left or right were normal. I tested this by firing and turning quickly and the sound would go from muted to normal. In windows, I never really noticed it except for the fact that I had to turn my volume all the way up for movies and often it was still pretty soft. Got a set of Plantronices .Audio 90 and the problem was solved with no other "tweaking" involved. I say your headphones are going out.

[08-28-2003 - 18:53] yErMoTH3r: do you have an extra audio driver for them DSP500's?

[08-28-2003 - 18:53] *** Auto-response from CSColonelKurtz: computers suck,cs sucks i quit

[08-28-2003 - 18:54] yErMoTH3r: ...quiter...

[08-28-2003 - 18:54] yErMoTH3r: ;-0

talked to kurtz....hes got an audigy in there....mic/headphone combo 12-30bux....while wait for 3rd replacements.

Guest Mossad
Guest Mossad
Guest Mossad
Guests

kurtz plantronics replaces those headsets for free.

well like mom said it works again.ive been so frustrated with computers since ive got back from that lan.ive reformated 3 times

I am gonna send my dsp-500 back its my second pair and the sound they put out is great but they need to be made better as far as lasting.i never saved my things for my first pair but im sure i did for the last ones now i just need to find them.

big thx to mom for taken the time to go over this with me.Im gonna bake a whole pan of brownies just for him

;) .the sound off the audigy sucks compared to what i was using but atleast its workin. thx to all that tried to help