any good?

TheBugs

Two more....

3) As we were discussing in Rev's thread today, you could go with the Biostar M7NCD or M7NCD Pro (each are $51.99) and a "Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! Dolby Digital 5.1 Sound Card MODEL SB0226 - OEM " for $29 and be $36 ahead of the game. I'd skip the SB128 card and stick to a Live! 5.1 standard as a minimum. The Biostar does have onboard sound, but it's not the better one.

4) Include an extra case fan or two in there as well. The case won't come with one, so I always get a minimum of one 80mm fand to put under the PSU blowing out the back. My preference is also to put one in the lower front sucking air into the case. I like the Y & S Tech ones from Newegg because they have a nice rheostat to set the fan speed with, they're around $8 each I think.

(I keep looking and adding.....)

5) The Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse PS/2 & USB (New Color) Version 1.1a - OEM can be found for a very cheap $12 for this great little mouse. I've used them for the last year.

26-105-123-04.JPG

Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse PS/2 & USB (New Color) Version 1.1a - OEM

Overall, I like the spec with the few changes I've suggested with a couple of caveats. It will be a little on the noisy side. Money can fix this, but for a budget system I'm assuming you can put up with the 20% or so more noise. The Y & S TEch fans will help too. Also, I can't get on board with the monitor. Maybe I'm spoiled by 19" and 21" ones that I use. I consider a 19" to be minimum and few things really can have such a nice effect on a system as a nice big monitor. Sharkey is suggesting the Samsung 19" 955DF for $190. I'd even go with the Biostar and onboard sound if it meant getting a bigger monitor.

Lastly, you have no software budgeted. Either an oversight or you already have WinXP. If you don't I suggest getting an OEM copy or XP Home for $91 on Newegg and Norton Systemworks 2003 OEM for $23 from Newegg.

Ack, I just keep looking and seeing things. The hard drive - you show a "BB" model. You want the "JB" model. This is the 8mb cache Special Edition model or SE, and has a 3 year warranty. The BB is 2mb and 1 year. Really worth the few dollars for the JB.

Ok, I think I'm done now.....

o0o

haha, ok J thnx for all the help. I know i didnt add the cost for an OS and as soon as i posted this i relized i didnt have a fan or two... didnt feel like editing. Ill definatly change out the ram, prolly have to go with 2 sticks of 256 b/c i dont have the money for 2 512s ( :( ).

thnx again.

WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 80GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE

CRUCIAL MICRON 256MB 32x64 PC 2700 DDR RAM - OEM x2

YS TECH Adjustable 8CM cooling fan. Manual adjustable fan speed, VERIABLE SPEED FROM 800rpm to 3700rpm. 10.2CFM - 48.7CFM 18dBA - 39.5dBA

ok, i ended up with this. And its even cheaper then b4 :D

Guest Inferno
Guest Inferno
Guest Inferno
Guests

lmao all poo.....i build a whole PC for 763 and it is l33t

(edited)

Ive been using Dual DDR since last xmas, but only on a 266 bus. It still rocks, I have 1x512 and 1x256. If I take the 256 out and leave the 512 I skip around horribly in Desert Combat and it takes forever to load.

and jolie about your vid card....a geforce 4 256 mb, first off you probably meant a geforce fx, because a geforce 4 is a couple generations ago and dont even come in 256 meg. Second, Dont buy a 256 meg video card, especially from nvidia. If someone switched it with a ATI 9800 pro, I doubt u would notice a difference. Your gonna need some horsepower to make that video card smoke, so be sure you go with a 800 bus P4 not the 400 or 533 which is a few generations ago.

Edited by NOFX