any good?

TheBugs

I dunno why you'd pay $625 for $475 worth of parts. No OS even. The $475 could even get you better quality parts than the $625 combo.

I keep telling you guys........

Look here on SharkeyExtreme for a good baseline of what to get, then go order the parts from Newegg.com. :D

Really.

are there any other sites besides newegg that sell individual things for cheap but are still held in high regard? i know what i need to get, just need to find it for the right price. or i cant get it :=:disgust:

Yeah, I don't like that system either. First, I have never been a big SiS chipset fan (though no real reason...just liked Via and nForce better). Next, it comes with a lot of lower-end or no-brand parts that I wouldn't buy (vid card, speakers, keyboard, mouse, no-name HD, no-name case, no-name PS). I mean, you have no clue what you will end up with. Next, a cd-rom drive? No DVD, no CD-WR? You can get really good brand names for cheap (I like Lite-On myself) so why just give you a cd-drive? Finally, like Homer said, why buy a system with a bunch of crap you just plan to replace? Save up a bit and by all the parts yourself and assemble it. You will save a ton of money and it is a great learning experience. I feel Swoop would have been lost during his recent meltdown if he hadn't put the system together himself.

are there any other sites besides newegg that sell individual things for cheap but are still held in high regard?

I used to get stuff from Comp-U-Plus before I learned of Newegg. They did better than average, but still not in Newegg's league. I found them on Pricewatch and took a chance, that was a few years ago.

Another place I used to get stuff from is J & N Computer Supply, they have great service and you'll pay for it too. ;) They had great prices on RAM way back in the day (like about 7-8 years ago when buying a 32mb stick was a few hundred dollars) and had a good following from that for selling the rest of the stuff to make a PC too. I sometimes suggest them to people that need a little hand holding and would like to talk to an actual person that works right there where they have their retail shop and not be rushed about it, and in english.

I guess I feel compelled to ask "Why other than Newegg?" I do fully admit to being a Newegg fanboy, but only so after many disappointing orders from other places. I know getting hooked into one retailer seems like a bad thing, but Newegg has it down and it's customers would go ballistic and leave in droves if they did something less than fair.

As for the system, you can check out this Excel spreadsheet I did up a few days ago with Newegg prices for a coworker. Get it HERE.

Also, the FX6500 in that spreadsheet would likely not satisfy this crowd, try Anandtech's Guides section for some thoughts about the current video cards, RAM, and CPU's.

Often the cheapest service is found on Pricewatch as well. Make sure you check up on retailers.

Highlights:

- Delayed orders

- Backordered item/out of stock

- Nospeakadalanguage

- Crummy return policies

- High shipping costs

- Web sites often don't tell if item is in stock

- Everything but one critical componect was shipped, but it will be there in 2 weeks.

But it is good as a guage of where prices are relative to each other. I think I'll change my signature....

Look at the review of any single component you are even thinking about buying at Newegg and there will be multiple mentions of how great the service is. Many times you will see people talking about not being happy with a component and that they are going to RMA. Return Merchandise Authorization. If you buy somehting and it doesn't work you just pay to ship it back and they send it to you. I ordered a couple of sticks of RAM for my computer and they didn't work. I did some research and realized that the brand wasn't compatible. So after opening and using them, I RMA'd them to Newegg and got new RAM shipped to me. They even let me keep the RAM until the new stuff showed up.

Everyone has experiences like that. They keep their customers happy and that keeps them in business. Building an entire system from the lowest prices from a bunch of different sites might save you a hundred bucks in parts...but it'll cost you more than that in shipping and you won't have the same guaranteed express service.

newegg = trouble free

i was just wonder, because i wanted to compare prices. I plan on building my first computer for bday/xmas and have picked it out based on what is available on newegg and pricewise. I will post up the specs later when it gets closer to date to see if it all works well and will be a kick donkey system.

oh and homer, im sure bugs wouldnt be the only one to use the guide, wink wink. ;)

Foxconn Super Case All BLACK Model# PC-146 w/400W Mustang Power Supply -with front USB ports Retail

Asus Motherboard for AMD Athlon XP/Duron Processors, Model# A7N8X Deluxe Retail

AMD ATHLON XP 2500+ "Barton" 333 FSB PROCESSOR CPU- RETAIL

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600 128MB 8X AGP DVI/TV BULK

Samsung SW-252BENB 52x24x52 Black CDRW Bulk- OEM

SAMSUNG 1.44MB BLACK FLOPPY DRIVE Model# SFD321B/LBL - OEM, DRIVE ONLY

CRUCIAL MICRON 512MB 64x64 PC 2700 DDR RAM – OEM

WD WESTERN DIGITAL EIDE HARD DRIVE 80GB 7200RPM MODEL # WD800BB -CAVIAR OEM, DRIVE ONLY

Creative Lab Sound Blaster 128 PCI Sound Card

Logitech MX500 Optical Mouse -USB/PS2 RETAIL

Logitech Black Internet Keyboard – OEM

Viewsonic PF775B 1600x1200 UXGA .25mm 17" Perfect Flat Black

Total: 716.41

I think some of the prices may have changed a bit b/c some of them were on 1 day sale.

Other than that did i forget anything?

Suggestions or Comments?

Im open to anything.

:boing:

2 things Bugs:

1) The Asus A7N8X Deluxe has the great nForce2 sound on-board so you don't need to spend that $19 on a junk sound card. :D

2) In order to take advantage of the "Dual-DDR" you need to have 2 sticks of like memory, e.g. 2 x 256mb or 2 x 512mb. The Dual-DDR uses 2 channels to access each stick of RAM, assigning half the instructions for each clock cycle to each stick of RAM. This creates the "Dual-DDR" thang, and running an odd number or mismatched RAM will run your RAM at half of what the board is designed to do, basically non-Dual-DDR.

Ima type that guide up here shortly.