why not desktops?

Crowbar

Your just talking about the case it's in. There is no difference in the components cept a tower has more space for fans ect. My rig could easily fit into a desktop with no problem.

But as KiRiN says...towers are much sexier :P

Old Gateway towers are almost what I would prefer rather than getting a new case.

YOu can mod the heck out of the old hundred pound steel server cases.

Takes a little work to get them where you want um but they are awsome.

Desktop cases seemed to always run hott to me, i guess thats one thing a tower fixes.

Course Intel thinks the ATX tower still isnt enough to take care of all their heat concerns(And you though AmD ran hot) so they are getting everyone rolling on the BTX standard.

Edited by Birdman

Here are a couple pics of my "new" (new to me anyway) case. Note the dinner table and chair next to it for size reference. Also, that is a regular sized mobo (Asus A7V333), not a micro-atx. Sorry for the bad quality pics. Used a web/digi cam to grab the pics.

pic2.jpgpic3.jpg

Edited by dwEEziL

talk to FaCeHoLe about the monitor thing, Dweez. He's got one in his tower.

The reason I asked about desktops, is that I've got 2 old P2's that I'm thinking of playing with. I've got a few cool ideas for a desktop case mod. One of them being to make the desktop look like an Xbox. Black paint, a window on top with an "X" through it, and a fan in the center of the "X", also probably a small window on each side.

It seems that desktops are coming back into favour, with the new use being media centers. And who says you have to set your monitor on top of your desktop computer. Just get a bigger desk.

Dweez...all I can say is "Two computers in one"

:P

seriously...you could fit the components for 2 whole computers in that thing...then you can have 2 systems in the same spot...wanna lan and a friend doesn't have a pc to bring? just get an extra keyboard, mouse and monitor and you've got his computer right there....or even have one gaming machine and one web browsing machine in one...just use a KVM switch

Hmm, some very good ideas. If I were to do the dual system thing, I would more than likely make the top half a server box that way I got mine own server right there. Of course the KVM is a nice idea too but I tend to prefer using remote admin stuff like RAdmin or Terminal services over KVM (unless of course I need in the BIOS or something).

I almost picked up a dremel today but then glanced at my checkbook...hehe, :boing: ...so I will wait a couple of days until I get paid.